Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2021?

Hairy

This Hoegaarden clone is a smashing beer.

Lovely aroma.  Citrus and earthy flavour.

I carbonated these bottles with slightly heaped measures to give them just a bit more carbonation.

IMG_2357.thumb.JPG.c2144293f26b49c7eabc6611555294f6.JPG

Below is a photo from my brother showing the second pour from a keg after sitting for a week.  The original pours were very cloudy.  Nice colour, but very cloudy.  The recent pour looks outstanding.

untitled.jpg.65b613d09e3f82b73347b40cc24e5675.jpg

• Like 10

I just opened a Mr Beer Golden Ale brewed in the craft kit with added LDME x 250 gm, 12 gm Cascade (inf)

It was bottled on the 22nd March & I had put some in the 500ml Weihenstephaner bottles with 2 x carb drops.

It is seriously good, just a great taste, the sweetness is overpowered by the hops & I can definitely notice the difference in the body with the added malt. A very happy camper.

Cheers

Phil.

20210417_135655 (2).jpg

20210417_135852 (2).jpg

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, Barramullafella said:

👍 Looks fantastic too, Classic.

Cheers, it is not a month old yet but I am going to do this again, I cannot stress enough how much the LDME has helped even in a small brew as would Malt Extract, I have to thank Graubster & Shamus & a few others for that. No brew will ever be done by me again without the extra adjuncts. I am moving towards grain additions as well so here goes. 🍺

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Cheers, it is not a month old yet but I am going to do this again, I cannot stress enough how much the LDME has helped even in a small brew as would Malt Extract, I have to thank Graubster & Shamus & a few others for that. No brew will ever be done by me again without the extra adjuncts. I am moving towards grain additions as well so here goes. 🍺

Yep, and I have listened to your advice and will be checking it out down the track. Cheers.

15 minutes ago, Barramullafella said:

Yep, and I have listened to your advice and will be checking it out down the track. Cheers.

@Barramullafella  I would probably feel better if I was to make it clear that if it wasn't for some of the legends on this forum the move towards Malt Extract/LDME additions probably wouldn't have happened. I have been brewing for years mainly as a hobby & as my life was calling on pubs for a living the brews I made were somewhat secondary. 

I find now with renewed enthusiasm & the help from these great guys who give their time & valuable advice I am making much better brews, I am merely passing it on.

It is more than a hobby to me now as I am retired & have plenty of time to hone my skills, so after years of bossing sales reps around I am happy to sit back & listen & learn.

Cheers

Phil

• Like 5

2 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

I would probably feel better if I was to make it clear that if it wasn't for some of the legends on this forum

Yep @CLASSIC Phil I am the very same - if it wasn't for this forum and the legends that have helped me over the last cuppla years - I would not be brewing as well as I am now... same 👍

4 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Bit of a 'Brewery Tour' this evening as the Hefeweizen ran out of puff 😋 so below we got HW - Autumn Amber Ale (fizz?) - and the Big Easy (My low ABV Easy drinkin' Lager around 5%) 🥳

image.thumb.png.466780f4b9d248903be6e2a1454305ef.png

Awesome as usual Graubster really good looking beers. Cheers.

Where are the Cows < & I don't see any pesky rabbit critters - in the pot with some rosemary?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Good onya Graubster, well said, your are one of the legends, I think everyone knows that. 🏆

Honestly if it was not for some of the Brew Kings on this site I wouldna got so far so quick... hard to identify everyone but they do include @Hairy @Green Blob @ChristinaS1 @Otto Von Blotto @Norris! @Greeny1525229549, and lots of just great discussion with everyone involved... especially great help for kegging from @Red devil 44, insight regarding Hefeweizen from @PaddyBrew2 and @Aussiekraut...   plus a few who seem to have gone missing @Beerlust @porschemad911 who were champions when I first joined...  and then there are a swag of really good newer Brewers.... and really hey I am just happy to help now with brewers where I can 🙂

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Honestly if it was not for some of the Brew Kings on this site I wouldna got so far so quick... hard to identify everyone but they do include @Hairy @Green Blob @ChristinaS1 @Otto Von Blotto @Norris! @Greeny1525229549, and lots of just great discussion with everyone involved... especially great help for kegging from @Red devil 44, insight regarding Hefeweizen from @PaddyBrew2 and @Aussiekraut...   plus a few who seem to have gone missing @Beerlust @porschemad911 who were champions when I first joined...  and then there are a swag of really good newer Brewers.... and really hey I am just happy to help now with brewers where I can 🙂

I concur Graubster, that is very humble of you. You do pass on great advice & you help a lot of people.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

I concur Graubster, that is very humble of you. You do pass on great advice & you help a lot of people.

Honestly mate I brewed KnK for many many years and then when I had the time and headspace to look at improving - I fortunately got onto this our Coopers Brewing Sociability site - and it has been legendary... And I wanted to go to brewing with only malt hops water and yeast... so just started to phase in dry malt and then liquid malt and then eventually AG... I have read plenty and looked into things as best I could... but this site has been absolutely essential... and then you see some of the Brewers I sorta started out with on the site like @MitchBastard award winning Mitchie and I go wow - how far have they gone forward in brewing 👍

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Honestly mate I brewed KnK for many many years and then when I had the time and headspace to look at improving - I fortunately got onto this our Coopers Brewing Sociability site - and it has been legendary... And I wanted to go to brewing with only malt hops water and yeast... so just started to phase in dry malt and then liquid malt and then eventually AG... I have read plenty and looked into things as best I could... but this site has been absolutely essential... and then you see some of the Brewers I sorta started out with on the site like @MitchBastard Mitchie and I go wow - how far have they gone forward in brewing 👍

Yes especially winning competitions with your own brew, that's really incredible. I get excited when I think about the possibilities, although working for myself for many years & driving across AUS into the unknown taught me (& hopefully the people I trained, ) many things are possible, you have to believe in yourself, look, listen, learn & just do it.

Here's to better brews. 🍺

Cheers

Phil

• Like 3

+1 for the above comments!

Would not have enjoyed the last 6 years brewing without this forum and the people that make it what it is!!

Anyway.....

3 days after kegging

My usual House IPA but with a bit of a clear the freezer approach!

CELDORAZZAMO IPA

6.8% in the keg

Senbloodysensational!!

Defo getting pineapple from the Azacca and Eldorado

Happy weekend brew legends!!

62F5D94F-EA09-4AAC-BAFF-458607A39C08.jpeg

Edited by James Lao
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

Channeling the Graubster with that photo Jimmy. Nice work 👌

Great photo but this is not criticism, I am sure @BlackSands will agree with me but a more balanced photo is to place main subject off centre, it is called the rule of two thirds but hell it dosen't really matter, the beer looks good, nice exposure, that's all that matters.

Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Graubart said:

I wonder what happened to Beerlust hasn't posted since & DEC 2020 and joined in 2013. I valued his input.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

This Hoegaarden clone is a smashing beer.

Hey Shamus just wondering....that recipe calls for 20g coriander seed into a “secondary “.  So did you add that as cracked seed in a hop sock like you would a dry hop? Or how did you do that?

interesting recipe that one. Glad it turned out so well for you. Cheers 👍

1 hour ago, Tone boy said:

Hey Shamus just wondering....that recipe calls for 20g coriander seed into a “secondary “.  So did you add that as cracked seed in a hop sock like you would a dry hop? Or how did you do that?

interesting recipe that one. Glad it turned out so well for you. Cheers 👍

Yep.  Exactly that TB.  I was a bit worried about how it would turn out.  It said something like: for those that want a full earthy flavoured witbier, add the 20g Coriander as a dry hop.  I am glad I added it.  It did not seem as "earthy" as the description.  I would be happy to add this to any similar beer.

As a matter of interest, what did you find interesting about the recipe?  Something different to what you might have done before?

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

As a matter of interest, what did you find interesting about the recipe?  Something different to what you might have done before?

There was a couple of things there which I hadn’t come across before. I had read on this forum about orange peel and coriander seeds in some wheat beers but have never used them. I also haven’t seen flaked wheat before. I don’t know if that is malted? If it’s unmalted I guess it adds unfermentable starch to the beer, but not sure. Also I don’t know if that could be used in a partial mash or not - which is my latest thing. I might have to read up on that!
But mostly I think wheat beers have piqued my interest in general lately. I had one recently, a commercial offering from Jindabyne Brewing which I quite enjoyed. Also they look great in the photos I have seen on this forum. 
As I’m a bottler, so always end up with some sediment in the bottle after carbonation, I like the idea of the yeast being part of the experience.  Embracing the end product in its entirety, rather than being careful trying to pour clear beers and not knowing what to do with the dregs in the bottle (which I usually drink anyway but don’t like to offer to guests). 

Well that was a bit of a ramble...

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Tone boy said:

As I’m a bottler, so always end up with some sediment in the bottle after carbonation, I like the idea of the yeast being part of the experience.  Embracing the end product in its entirety

And there are those in the Wheat Beer Fraternity who might suggest that Wheat Beers are actually better with secondary ferment in the bottle than in the keg... I think both are good... but weissbier with secondary ferment in a nice bottle seems a logical match ; )

Good luck with your Wheat Journey TB!  If you are doing partials... mashing a nice milled malted wheat would help I reckon ; )

And that tin of Coopers Liquid Wheat Malt blend is also a beautiful thing for mouthfeel and head retention etc... 

There are a few yeasts like liquid W3068 and 3333 but my most recent Lallemand Dry Munich Classic I think is a beaut... some seem happy with WB06 but plenty too not that inspired by it... 

Weizen and Witbiers do offer all sorts of lovely opportunities and are at home with secondary ferment in the bottle... I would recommend Coopers Largies haha ; )

Edited by Graubart
  • Thanks 1