Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2021?

Hairy

Although colour a little like the Big Easy Lager at 5% this Penitence Pilsner at 7.3%ABV is a far more serious assignment ; )

Should come with a health warning as you wouldna know that the alc is up there... jusssssst pure creamy tasty smooth yumminess thanks to Wyermann Pils malt, Voyager Wheat, good old Dubbya34 and HTau Mit... plus plenty time in the keg... Cheers ye Brewskis one and All 🥳

image.thumb.png.986d45ae4e49f91121c752d570262e24.png

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Graubart said:

Although colour a little like the Big Easy Lager at 5% this Penitence Pilsner at 7.3%ABV is a far more serious assignment ; )

Should come with a health warning as you wouldna know that the alc is up there... jusssssst pure creamy tasty smooth yumminess thanks to Wyermann Pils malt, Voyager Wheat, good old Dubbya34 and HTau Mit... plus plenty time in the keg... Cheers ye Brewskis one and All 🥳

image.thumb.png.986d45ae4e49f91121c752d570262e24.png

Awesome Graubster, I can tell by the colour & the nice creamy head that would be a delight, don't get lost in the woods on the way home. 🤣

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Awesome Graubster, I can tell by the colour & the nice creamy head that would be a delight, don't get lost in the woods on the way home. 🤣

Hahaha Fortunately most of the country around the Homestead is cleared otherwise I think you are right @CLASSIC Phil I would be bit phhhhharqued.... 

7 hours ago, Tone boy said:

There was a couple of things there which I hadn’t come across before. I had read on this forum about orange peel and coriander seeds in some wheat beers but have never used them. I also haven’t seen flaked wheat before. I don’t know if that is malted? If it’s unmalted I guess it adds unfermentable starch to the beer, but not sure. Also I don’t know if that could be used in a partial mash or not - which is my latest thing. I might have to read up on that!
But mostly I think wheat beers have piqued my interest in general lately. I had one recently, a commercial offering from Jindabyne Brewing which I quite enjoyed. Also they look great in the photos I have seen on this forum. 
As I’m a bottler, so always end up with some sediment in the bottle after carbonation, I like the idea of the yeast being part of the experience.  Embracing the end product in its entirety, rather than being careful trying to pour clear beers and not knowing what to do with the dregs in the bottle (which I usually drink anyway but don’t like to offer to guests). 

Great to read your thoughts TB.  This was a recipe pack rather than my own recipe, so it is hard to comment authoritatively about why certain ingredients are in the recipe.  This beer was also a number of firsts for me.

First time using either Bitter Orange Peel Powder or Coriander in a beer.  Both have a strong aroma, especially the coriander.

First time using the Flaked Wheat.  It just looks like Flaked Oats.  I am pretty sure it is unmalted.  I also believe that the mash with Pilsner converts the starch to sugars.  If you do use it in a partial mash, just include at least the same amount of base malt.

First time using S-33.  It is supposed to be a fruity driven yeast.  The Hoegaarden clone is a great beer.  But I am not sure how much of the goodness comes from the Bitter Orange Peel Powder, the Coriander, the yeast or the Flaked Wheat.  Maybe some experiments are in order.

Although I kegged this beer, I did some bottles too.  The one in the photo was from a PET bottle.  I did pour it carefully because there was about half a centimetre of sediment on the bottom.  I did not cold crash this beer at all.  At bottling time, I wish I did, even for a day or two before bottling, because the consistency in the lower half of the fermenter was like pea soup and took a long time to empty into the keg.  After pouring the bottle, I left just under a centimetre in the bottom.  I left the bottle on the bench because I could not rinse it at the time.  By the time I got back to the bottle, it looked like the yeast had started to reactivate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @Shamus O'Sean Shamus. Some good tips there. 
I know the store you got the recipe kit from, it’s my Local HBS and Kerry is super helpful. 
Good tip with the flaked wheat, and the CC too. Maybe those wheat yeasts stay in suspension a little longer...

I found another wheat beer recipe here that has an all grain and an extract option which could be worth trying too  

https://byo.com/article/german-hefeweizen-style-profile/

Happy brewing Shamus, and thanks again for your thoughts 👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

First time using S-33.  It is supposed to be a fruity driven yeast.  The Hoegaarden clone is a great beer.  But I am not sure how much of the goodness comes from the Bitter Orange Peel Powder, the Coriander, the yeast or the Flaked Wheat.  Maybe some experiments are in order.

From memory @Shamus O'Sean you made the Belgian Chocolate Stout ROTM last year at the same that I did. It used SafAle S-33. I found that it finished with a higher FG than I was expecting but Fermentis says that it has lower attenuation at 70% but that it leaves a very good length on the palate. I certainly found that the case with the Belgian Chocolate Stout - it was a ripper stout!

I have just put a variation of the Belgian Chocolate Stout into the ferment fridge and again used S-33, I am looking forward to how that turns out.

3 hours ago, Tone boy said:

I found another wheat beer recipe here that has an all grain and an extract option which could be worth trying too  

https://byo.com/article/german-hefeweizen-style-profile/

Happy brewing Shamus, and thanks again for your thoughts 👍

Nice article Tone.  It features some of the elements of a Hefe Weizen I did a few weeks ago.

17 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

From memory @Shamus O'Sean you made the Belgian Chocolate Stout ROTM last year at the same that I did. It used SafAle S-33. I found that it finished with a higher FG than I was expecting but Fermentis says that it has lower attenuation at 70% but that it leaves a very good length on the palate. I certainly found that the case with the Belgian Chocolate Stout - it was a ripper stout!

I have just put a variation of the Belgian Chocolate Stout into the ferment fridge and again used S-33, I am looking forward to how that turns out.

Crickey Kmar, you keep better notes of my beers than I do.  My Belgian Chocolate Stout finished very high too.  OG 1.060 to FG 1.025 for 58% attenuation.  The Hoegaarden beer went from OG 1.048 to FG 1.014, that's 70% attenuation.

The Belgian was a ripper of a beer.  Good luck with your latest version.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Nice article Tone.  It features some of the elements of a Hefe Weizen I did a few weeks ago.

Was that the split batch with the 2 different yeasts? WB06 and Laklemand Munich Classic? Which brings me to ask....which one was better? Assuming you’ve tasted them of course...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tone boy said:

Was that the split batch with the 2 different yeasts? WB06 and Laklemand Munich Classic? Which brings me to ask....which one was better? Assuming you’ve tasted them of course...

I’m going to put my money on the Munich classic 💰 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/17/2021 at 10:10 PM, CLASSIC said:

Great photo but this is not criticism, I am sure @BlackSands will agree with me but a more balanced photo is to place main subject off centre, it is called the rule of two thirds but hell it dosen't really matter, the beer looks good, nice exposure, that's all that matters.

Cheers.

"Rule of Thirds".  I know this is a brewing forum but, well.... seen as you brought it up!  I actually I think James is photo is fairly well-balanced - placing the main object centrally can work if it's balanced by other elements in the frame.  In this case you have the leaves on the lower left countered by the palm tree peering over the fence on the right.   The dark shadow of the wall (lower right) however is a bit of a distraction.  Also, I'd crop a little tighter on the right-hand side and probably tweak the colours/contrast etc.  🤓  But not everyone is a photographer/image editor of course and grabbing a quick, unedited shot off the phone is certainly adequate enough for most.  

Now, back to beer!  😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Tone boy said:

That's the one, Tone.  I put the Munich Classic keg in the kegerator last night.  It should be right to taste tonight.  No space yet for the WB-06 fuelled one.  But I think one of the other kegs in the kegerator is nearly empty, so I should ne able to get the WB-06 one in there soon too.

Then I will do a side-by-side comparison.

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I think one of the other kegs in the kegerator is nearly empty, so I should ne able to get the WB-06 one in there soon too.

Then I will do a side-by-side comparison.

Sounds like you’ve got some important work to do Shamus 😉

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, BlackSands said:

"Rule of Thirds".  I know this is a brewing forum but, well.... seen as you brought it up!  I actually I think James is photo is fairly well-balanced - placing the main object centrally can work if it's balanced by other elements in the frame.  In this case you have the leaves on the lower left countered by the palm tree peering over the fence on the right.   The dark shadow of the wall (lower right) however is a bit of a distraction.  Also, I'd crop a little tighter on the right-hand side and probably tweak the colours/contrast etc.  🤓  But not everyone is a photographer/image editor of course and grabbing a quick, unedited shot off the phone is certainly adequate enough for most.  

Now, back to beer!  😛

Well I actually meant Rule of Thirds, but anyway it's all good, no intention of criticsising, so as you say, Now, back to beer!

• Like 1

Clearing out the old stock to make room for a winter brew, found a few 7% & 8% brews, about 12 month aged..... This is the 8%pale with malt n be2 and some galaxy hops.... Strong flavour, malty to the nose.... Thick creamy head, and I won't need any more of these. 

IMG_20210419_175903.jpg

• Like 7

Clearing out the old stock to make room for a winter brew, found a few 7% & 8% brews, about 12 month aged..... This is the 8%pale with malt n be2 and some galaxy hops.... Strong flavour, malty to the nose.... Thick creamy head, and I won't need any more of these. 

1 hour ago, CLASSIC said:

Nice looking stout @Pale Man  I hope mine turns out as we are definitely moving into Stout weather !! And yes the good old Grolsch bottles, what did you use to carbonate that 1 or CB or Sugar ?

Cheers fella.

I used normal table sugar.  Just a bit less than a long neck measure.