Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2021?

Hairy

1 minute ago, Pale Man said:

How are ya? going ok? Ive been away a bit. Got out in the boat today. 20 crabs and two nice big squid. I needed a deckie but nobody wanted to come with me. 

I had a ball, just finished cleaning up. This is when the beers kick in.

Crabs, there are so many things you can do with them apart from just boiling them up & ripping in to them like a Neanderthal man as some do, personally I like to take the trouble to clean them thoroughly & get rid of all that orange muck/fingers etc & of course if you have enough meat there are so many ways to enjoy them. I like pasta with garlic, chilli, crab etc or in a sweet corn & crab soup or chuck them on a homemade seafood pizza - what I am I raving on about, now I want crab !!

But I am having Barramundi tonight.

Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Crabs, there are so many things you can do with them apart from just boiling them up & ripping in to them like a Neanderthal man as some do, personally I like to take the trouble to clean them thoroughly & get rid of all that orange muck/fingers etc & of course if you have enough meat there are so many ways to enjoy them. I like pasta with garlic, chilli, crab etc or in a sweet corn & crab soup or chuck them on a homemade seafood pizza - what I am I raving on about, now I want crab !!

But I am having Barramundi tonight.

Cheers.

Yeah i know mate. Its a big day, especially by yourself. Cook up, clean up, clean the boat, clean your gear. I used to eat it up but now i'm north of 50 i'm struggling a little bit. 

Tasty crabs are worth it, got a couple of big squid too. My back is whinging at me at the moment, so i'll kill that off with a nice homebrew.

• Haha 1

Calling all Cold Crashes/Gelatin/Finings brewers, this is a 4 week old Mangrove Jacks Classic Bitter, apart from tasting awesome I would need more evidence that any of those processes would make it better - apart from looks of course.

Just a general observation, not being critical or anything.

Cheers.

20210428_171326 (2).jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

Yeah i know mate. Its a big day, especially by yourself. Cook up, clean up, clean the boat, clean your gear. I used to eat it up but now i'm north of 50 i'm struggling a little bit. 

Tasty crabs are worth it, got a couple of big squid too. My back is whinging at me at the moment, so i'll kill that off with a nice homebrew.

You are a youngster, I agree it is a lot of work yourself, my mate with the 32 foot boat ( I think I posted photos earlier ) wants to go out as soon as the weather is fine, there will be 4 of us so lot's of crabs & as you know the occasional squid/fish, all good for the pot & heaps of 🍺

SWMBO should be out there now cleaning the crabs & the boat while you put you feet up & enjoy that nice lager.

Cheers 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Calling all Cold Crashes/Gelatin/Finings brewers, this is a 4 week old Mangrove Jacks Classic Bitter, apart from tasting awesome I would need more evidence that any of those processes would make it better - apart from looks of course.

Cheers.

Classic,   the only real benifit you would get from finings or gelatin is for clarity,  cold crashing will be benificial but not  necessary   

personelly  i think some brewers really over think and go over board with the must do's

everything plays it part...

I would drink yours   that has not been cc or had gelatin or finings 

but why dont you make it again   + another batch   1 with out the bells and whistles part from the ingrediants
the other with the bells and whistles  as a test to really see what benifits you get from it

I think your classic bitter looks fine

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

Classic,   the only real benifit you would get from finings or gelatin is for clarity,  cold crashing will be benificial but not  necessary   

personelly  i think some brewers really over think and go over board with the must do's

everything plays it part...

I would drink yours   that has not been cc or had gelatin or finings 

but why dont you make it again   + another batch   1 with out the bells and whistles part from the ingrediants
the other with the bells and whistles  as a test to really see what benifits you get from it

I think your classic bitter looks fine

You know I really couldn't be bothered, I have never CC'd, I don't care about gelatin or enzymes - the beer is fine, in fact they have been getting better.

So if someone can prove me wrong I will go & stand in the corner. 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

You know I really couldn't be bothered, I have never CC'd, I don't care about gelatin or enzymes - the beer is fine, in fact they have been getting better.

So if someone can prove me wrong I will go & stand in the corner. 

I think that Cold Crashing and a little bit of time in the FV is not a bad thing for a beer.

When it comes to bottling tho - if you have a bit of time for bottle conditioning most stuff will flocc out - well with Dubbya 34 and US05 certainly...

So CC might be a bit more relevant for kegging.... but hey really whatever fits and works in the Brewery is the biz I say ; )

Just now, Graubart said:

I think that Cold Crashing and a little bit of time in the FV is not a bad thing for a beer.

When it comes to bottling tho - if you have a bit of time for bottle conditioning most stuff will flocc out - well with Dubbya 34 and US05 certainly...

So CC might be a bit more relevant for kegging.... but hey really whatever fits and works in the Brewery is the biz I say ; )

Hey Graubster, I was talking to a Brewery owner yesterday about the same thing, he said when he was an Extract Brewer he really didn't bother as he found no real benefit, however AG/Kegging it is different. I agree with you on the bottle conditioning also. I tend to lean towards Pales & I am used to & don't care about clear beer, it dosen't make it taste better, in fact some photos of have seen on the paramania re: clear beer make it look rather insipid looking. However as we have always said, everyone to their own.

Cheers you old pirate. 🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CLASSIC said:

Cheers.

20210428_171326 (2).jpg

Beautiful Lad.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pale Man said:

got a couple of big squid too.

Yummo Paleo!

1 hour ago, CLASSIC said:

I like pasta with garlic, chilli, crab

Yep Phil would eat that any day of the week if someone like you did the hard work of 'filleting the crab' haha... 

Otherwise because of all the work am sorta more fired up about fresh fish fillets...

Well and festive @Pale Man Paleo's lovely lovely squiddddddlies.... 

A long time ago I was able to experience a high-end modern italian that did a superb baby squid chilli linguine... was amazeballlllls

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Yummo Paleo!

Yep Phil would eat that any day of the week if someone like you did the hard work of 'filleting the crab' haha... 

Otherwise because of all the work am sorta more fired up about fresh fish fillets...

Well and festive @Pale Man Paleo's lovely lovely squiddddddlies.... 

A long time ago I was able to experience a high-end modern italian that did a superb baby squid chilli linguine... was amazeballlllls

I agree with all of the above. I was a cook so nothing is too hard. 🍳

• Like 1

Just now, CLASSIC said:

I agree with all of the above. I was a cook so nothing is too hard. 🍳

Mate Phil that is gold - but the key thing I think where I am aligned with you - is that it is nice to sit down and eat something nice with a splendid cleansing ale or wine... and I am sure you would be able to spruce up a beautiful crab linguine mate fe sher!

But yeah we are on the same page re food prep and delivery on the plate - in an edible fashion - so as not to start gettting the far ken pliars out to start kricken n cracken an scraping meat outta shells...  especially if I have paid someone to prepare the meal... maybe that is a disgraceful laggardly way of viewing supreme fresh seafood but honestly I wouldn't expect my 'clients' to have to start fkkkkn about with their food if I was serving it up to them. ... guess maybe in some parts of the world it might be a clear indication that the food is real and not concocted out of whatever was swept up off the floor like seafood sticks/crab sticks....  so I get it from that perspective...

Or maybe I am just a cranky old pirate 🏴‍☠️ and that's it and all about it ?! 🤔

4 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Mate Phil that is gold - but the key thing I think where I am aligned with you - is that it is nice to sit down and eat something nice with a splendid cleansing ale or wine... and I am sure you would be able to spruce up a beautiful crab linguine mate fe sher!

But yeah we are on the same page re food prep and delivery on the plate - in an edible fashion - so as not to start gettting the far ken pliars out to start kricken n cracken an scraping meat outta shells...  especially if I have paid someone to prepare the meal... maybe that is a disgraceful laggardly way of viewing supreme fresh seafood but honestly I wouldn't expect my 'clients' to have to start fkkkkn about with their food if I was serving it up to them. ... guess maybe in some parts of the world it might be a clear indication that the food is real and not concocted out of whatever was swept up off the floor like seafood sticks/crab sticks....  so I get it from that perspective...

Or maybe I am just a cranky old pirate 🏴‍☠️ and that's it and all about it ?! 🤔

You hit it right on the head mate, good simple food cooked well = bloody good food on the plate, all of these stacker wankers you know all the f....... chips or on the bottom with everything piled up like a train wreck is not very appealing. Then you have got all of the short cutters who don't quite get it right with bits of bone & shell etc in the meal, there is not enough attention to detail these days, everyone knocks Master Chef & the like but hey it is like a brewery, you have to get it right, 

Cheers Graubster.

• Haha 1