Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2021?

Hairy

Second cup is even better haha... but am terribly concerned the keggler is about to spit the dummy... 

One small thing... am a big believer in the small bubble... that is usually an indicator of something good going on... 

image.thumb.png.03c2317370acf12fb8a5d97390b51688.png

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

I have found it keeps going into the head which is a good thing.🙂

I have this theory - which may be completely wrong - but anyway - that small bubble means good body and then resultant creamy mouthfeel, head, and head retention.... 

• Like 4

I'm impressed and just a little frustrated seeing all your beers with nice heads. This is my IPA (Coopers Bridge The Gap) I brewed a few weeks ago. So the images are, the Coopers image which is what we strive to achieve (well I do), what it looked like when I was testing the gravity and tonight when I poured my 1st glass, without being lit and trying to light it up to see if I can get close to what it is supposed to look like. The head lasted maybe 10 seconds, taste wise it is what I expected, I can definitely pick up the hops and the bitterness rolls over the tongue with a slight after taste which is not unpleasant. To be honest it is till very young (just shy of two weeks in the bottle) but I just had to give it a try. Hopefully the head will develop given more time.

Bridge the Gap IPA.png

BTG IPA 3.jpg

BTG IPA 4.jpg

01Day 9 FG 1013.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Boot Straps  my two bobs worth would start with the glass, recently I decided to remove all of my Beer glasses from all fridges, give them a good scrubbing with a NEW dish brush from Coles in hot water with Bi-Carbonate of Soda, give them a workout all over the rim inside & out down in the glass, if the brush won't reach the bottom of the glass get a NEW chux & force it down & turn the sucker until you are satisfied the are clean. Then rinse them in hot water, then cold water & then stand them upside down a NEW chux & let the dry, if you have done it properly there will be no streaks etc. When dry place them upside down in a cabinet on a clean surface until ready for use.

You will notice a difference !!

I have gone on enough so I will leave the next chapter on head retention to other members.

Cheers

Phil

• Like 2

@CLASSIC Thanks mate, I read that thread the other day (I thought the plastic cup v glass was interesting).  I'm happy with the cleanliness of my glasses as they usually go through the dishwasher and they have no problem retaining a head with commercial beers. To date I have made 8 beers all coopers, none have retained much of a head except if I pour them at room temperature or close to it. With tonight's beer I chilled the glass and the beer.

1 minute ago, Boot Straps said:

@CLASSIC Thanks mate, I read that thread the other day (I thought the plastic cup v glass was interesting).  I'm happy with the cleanliness of my glasses as they usually go through the dishwasher and they have no problem retaining a head with commercial beers. To date I have made 8 beers all coopers, none have retained much of a head except if I pour them at room temperature or close to it. With tonight's beer I chilled the glass and the beer.

Well all I can say that the so-called experts on various Home Brew Websites & Glass Manufactures strongly advise not to use the Dishwasher as it creates a film over the glass as does keeping them in the fridge as that also absorbs all of the other elements/smells etc.

Having said that I am not saying anything other than what works for me.

I have found commercial beers are a lot more forgiving but I have noticed a lot better head is developed & retained with this method.

I am not an expert so whatever people want to do, they will do.

Cheers

Phil

4 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Well all I can say that the so-called experts on various Home Brew Websites & Glass Manufactures strongly advise not to use the Dishwasher as it creates a film over the glass as does keeping them in the fridge as that also absorbs all of the other elements/smells etc.

Having said that I am not saying anything other than what works for me.

I have found commercial beers are a lot more forgiving but I have noticed a lot better head is developed & retained with this method.

I am not an expert so whatever people want to do, they will do.

Cheers

Phil

@CLASSICPoint taken

11 minutes ago, Boot Straps said:

Hey Booter and @CLASSIC 

I reckon what @Boot Straps Booter has is symptomatic of a much bigger problem... way more than the glasses.  Though I am with @CLASSIC Phil's attention to detail on glasses which I believe is just spot on..... pardon the pun.... maybe Spot Off 😝

I think the key is... 

Good Water

Clean Gear

1 Coopers Ale - whatever - Kit

1 Coopers Liquid Malt Can - light amber or dark as what seems sensible

1 box of BE 3 or box of Coopers Malt

Yer normal vat of water... 

Try to get 18 deg or C temp

And then secondary ferment in bottles above 18 deg C or smash it in the keg ; )

On 5/4/2021 at 4:02 PM, CLASSIC said:

If any newbie comes across please believe me, the beer is so much better.

@CLASSIC Like you I'm happy to stick to extract brewing, I'd be happier if I can get my beers to look like yours (including cleaning my glassware LOL)

6 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Hey Booter and @CLASSIC 

I reckon what @Boot Straps Booter has is symptomatic of a much bigger problem... way more than the glasses.  Though I am with @CLASSIC Phil's attention to detail on glasses which I believe is just spot on..... pardon the pun.... maybe Spot Off 😝

I think the key is... 

Good Water

Clean Gear

1 Coopers Liquid Malt Can - light amber or dark as what seems sensible

Yer normal vat of water... 

Try to get 18 deg or C temp

And then secondary ferment in bottles above 18 deg C or smash it in the keg ; )

@Graubart G'day mate, temps aren't an issue, I have good temperature control both in the FV and in the bottle, a keg is not an option so I'll look at cleaning my glasses. I'm just using local tap water for my beer but I do have the option to use tank water which I imagine will need filtering.

21 minutes ago, Boot Straps said:

@CLASSIC Like you I'm happy to stick to extract brewing, I'd be happier if I can get my beers to look like yours (including cleaning my glassware LOL)

a 250g overnight steep of light crystal malt in 2 litres of cold water overnight in the fridge is a really cheap and effective way to start bulking up your brews.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Boot Straps said:

@Graubart G'day mate, temps aren't an issue, I have good temperature control both in the FV and in the bottle, a keg is not an option so I'll look at cleaning my glasses. I'm just using local tap water for my beer but I do have the option to use tank water which I imagine will need filtering.

Rightio

then if you have not done so before... try that 

1 Coopers Liquid Malt Can - wheat - light amber or dark as what seems sensible

around 18 degC 

if you have not done the above combo - maybe try with that and see how it goes....

• Like 3

@Boot Straps I notice from most your posts your watering most your recepies down to 25 litres and mainly using brew enhancers? without sacrifice lower total volume and malt tins not brew enhancer you won't really get the linger lasting head mate. As @Stickers points out try steeping some specialty malt for body and mouthfeel plus head retention. If you do like the taste from dextrose brew enhancers etc then thats a problem as commercial brews use additives to improve head as they use simple sugars that thin the beer to save money.

58 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

@Boot Straps I notice from most your posts your watering most your recepies down to 25 litres and mainly using brew enhancers? without sacrifice lower total volume and malt tins not brew enhancer you won't really get the linger lasting head mate. As @Stickers points out try steeping some specialty malt for body and mouthfeel plus head retention. If you do like the taste from dextrose brew enhancers etc then thats a problem as commercial brews use additives to improve head as they use simple sugars that thin the beer to save money.

@jamiek86 Hi Jamie, I'm not sure what you mean by watering down my recipes. I just follow what is written down in the recipe. I have a porter conditioning in bottles at the moment as well so it will be interesting to see how it turns out. That had specialty malts, with 1.5kg of LDM

34 minutes ago, Boot Straps said:

@jamiek86 Hi Jamie, I'm not sure what you mean by watering down my recipes. I just follow what is written down in the recipe. I have a porter conditioning in bottles at the moment as well so it will be interesting to see how it turns out. That had specialty malts, with 1.5kg of LDM

I've just seen alot of your posts with 25 litres and brew enhancer maby they were earlier ones good luck if on right path malt and under 23 litres is way to go

Reading the above posts I can understand beer not holding a head. Mine do much the same, but taste good. My question is, how to maintain the 25 lt volume and taste and 4% abv, increase quality of the head and a bit more body? I use a glass scrubber and sodium carbonate, and once glasses are dry, keep in fridge - mostly. I do this as it is similar to the pubs and clubs on NQ east coast store the glasses. 

5 hours ago, Barramullafella said:

Reading the above posts I can understand beer not holding a head. Mine do much the same, but taste good. My question is, how to maintain the 25 lt volume and taste and 4% abv, increase quality of the head and a bit more body? I use a glass scrubber and sodium carbonate, and once glasses are dry, keep in fridge - mostly. I do this as it is similar to the pubs and clubs on NQ east coast store the glasses. 

Use liquid malt instead of dry malt... and try using Coopers Liquid Wheat Malt...  and I think if you do one Coopers Ale Kit - plus one can of Coopers Liquid Malt... no more dry malts etc... think it will still be under 5%....  @Shamus O'Sean Shamus can you direct Barra to where that lovely ian's spreadsheet is that you can forecast ABV from - mine is not the latest... 

Just checked on my old spready and that suggests if you use one Coopers Kit plus One Coopers Liquid Malt Can you will hit 4.3% in the bottle... 

Yeah and then try using the headmaster glasses or similar with the scoriations in the base of the glass... 

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Graubart said:

Use liquid malt instead of dry malt... and try using Coopers Liquid Wheat Malt...  and I think if you do one Coopers Ale Kit - plus one can of Coopers Liquid Malt... no more dry malts etc... think it will still be under 5%....  @Shamus O'Sean Shamus can you direct Barra to where that lovely ian's spreadsheet is that you can forecast ABV from - mine is not the latest... 

Just checked on my old spready and that suggests if you use one Coopers Kit plus One Coopers Liquid Malt Can you will hit 4.3% in the bottle... 

Yeah and then try using the headmaster glasses or similar with the scoriations in the base of the glass... 

Thank you Graubart. I know it has been suggested to me to do extra malt with the kit and I will be trying that out soon. As stated I would like to keep the taste as is, and ABV near 4% +/- .2 % and am grateful for your suggestion/s and tips to go for extra malt from other members. Cheers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Graubart said:

GB, oh great one. You've just shot a bullseye mate. I forget who it was but way back someone (Sorry to whoever it was for my failing memory) suggested to dump Dry Malt extract in favor of the liquid gold. It's made an enormous difference in my beers head retention. Further to that I started using The Liquid Wheat Malt and that's the bomb at least for me with the head issue. Works a treat. Depending on the style of beer I'll also add some Malto D in there as well. I've just done a couple of Pale Ales which had beeeeautiful white foamy heads which remained to the last drop.

I've just put 2 x 24 liter volume FV's of Pseudo Lagers (Nott Yeast @15) in the fridge to ferment one with dry malt extract and one with the Liquid Gold. So it's a side by side comparison I'm guessing. I'm looking forward to seeing if there's a huge difference between the two re; head retention.

• Like 2

Time to try something different, not my comments below but agree with most of it, it is actually not bad - I am glad I am not driving anymore today !!

Cheers.

Brewery: Zytho Brewing in Sydney, NSW

Style:  IPA

ABV:  5.4%

Pour:  Light golden colour with a big fluffy white head.

Little bit of hop bitterness on this one. A slightly maltier flavour and one of the more enjoyable beers in their range. Elements of old school west coast IPA along with hints of pine and resin hop bitterness. A pretty in offensive IPA that is ok as a fridge filler and to have a couple of on a Sunday evening before a long work week ahead while waiting for the Chinese takeaway you ordered to show up. Goes well with sweet and sour chicken.

20210506_144659 (2).jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/4/2021 at 6:45 PM, Graubart said:

Will ring them first to make sure it is there...  the little village seems to be off the Main Trunk Road for deliveries and things can take a while to appear : |

Came back from town too late to get to the PO will make a spesh trip @Norris! Norris and retrieve asap ; )   (thank you 🙂)

Will be a good chance to pop into the little Bakery and fetch a pie and some nice apple n custard strudel ; )

It would arrive by horse & cart out there in the boonies wouldn’t it @Graubart 🤣🤣

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mickep said:
4 hours ago, Graubart said:

GB, oh great one. You've just shot a bullseye mate. I forget who it was but way back someone (Sorry to whoever it was for my failing memory) suggested to dump Dry Malt extract in favor of the liquid gold. It's made an enormous difference in my beers head retention. Further to that I started using The Liquid Wheat Malt and that's the bomb at least for me with the head issue. Works a treat. Depending on the style of beer I'll also add some Malto D in there as well. I've just done a couple of Pale Ales which had beeeeautiful white foamy heads which remained to the last drop.

I've just put 2 x 24 liter volume FV's of Pseudo Lagers (Nott Yeast @15) in the fridge to ferment one with dry malt extract and one with the Liquid Gold. So it's a side by side comparison I'm guessing. I'm looking forward to seeing if there's a huge difference between the two re; head retention.

Maybe a tad too much head.  😆

unnamed.jpg

Edited by Mickep
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Barramullafella said:

tips to go for extra malt

LIQUID malt... dry just doesn't cut it IMHO but there are many ways to the top of the mountain ; )

And if you really want to chase creamy mouthfeel, head and head retention... then use Coopers Liquid Wheat Malt Extract...  👍

• Like 2