Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2021?

Hairy

8 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

What do you think went wrong with the "red" part of Irish Red Ale in this case?

Hey Shamus. It was my first go at an Irish red ale so it was definitely a learning experience. 
I was thinking the colour would come from the Gladfield Redback malt (330g). After doing some more research it looks as though I need a small amount of roasted barley as well  - say 70g or thereabouts. 
Otto VB @Otto Von Blotto has an older recipe posted that @alilley brought to my attention-thanks OVB and Alilley...In that recipe OVB uses 75g black patent. I can’t get black patent so my next attempt I’ll try roasted barley and some Gladfields Shepherds Delight. 

3 hours ago, Tone boy said:

Hey Shamus. It was my first go at an Irish red ale so it was definitely a learning experience. 
I was thinking the colour would come from the Gladfield Redback malt (330g). After doing some more research it looks as though I need a small amount of roasted barley as well  - say 70g or thereabouts. 
Otto VB @Otto Von Blotto has an older recipe posted that @alilley brought to my attention-thanks OVB and Alilley...In that recipe OVB uses 75g black patent. I can’t get black patent so my next attempt I’ll try roasted barley and some Gladfields Shepherds Delight. 

I like the sound of the Gladfields Shepherds Delight.  Gladfield have a nice sounding base recipe for a Red Ale on their website.  Interesting they recommend adding the Shepherds Delight with 10 minutes of the mash to go.

• Like 1

@Boot Straps    you certainly have a head there in what you want   rember seeing your 1st  pic of the pic,  i thought i had replied to that one but didnt    

My opinion only  , i think you have over carbonated   the beer   as  i have noticed in the head   the big air pockets in the froth

The thing is when you 1st posted  there was hardly any conditioning happen and becuase you have given another week it has conditioned some more and  probably in 2 weeks it will be at its prime.    as a result of that extra week the head has started to  form 

1 hour ago, ozdevil said:

@Boot Straps    you certainly have a head there in what you want   rember seeing your 1st  pic of the pic,  i thought i had replied to that one but didnt    

My opinion only  , i think you have over carbonated   the beer   as  i have noticed in the head   the big air pockets in the froth

The thing is when you 1st posted  there was hardly any conditioning happen and becuase you have given another week it has conditioned some more and  probably in 2 weeks it will be at its prime.    as a result of that extra week the head has started to  form 

Yeah thanks Mate, to be honest I think it was more from pouring the beer from height, which I believe opened up the bubbles and I didn't really have to do' Because the next beer which I poured normally had tighter bubbles and looked like a normal head. @ozdevil

21 minutes ago, Boot Straps said:

Yeah thanks Mate, to be honest I think it was more from pouring the beer from height, which I believe opened up the bubbles and I didn't really have to do' Because the next beer which I poured normally had tighter bubbles and looked like a normal head. @ozdevil

great stuff

after i posted i had a bit of thought about it

it may have been the pour why..

the thing is be a bit patient with bottle carbing as it does need conditioning

and may take longer then expected

4 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Interesting they recommend adding the Shepherds Delight with 10 minutes of the mash to go.

It allows for all the benefits from the malt like the colour and flavour without getting too astringent and overpowering, which the real dark malts can. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

Nice looking drop & no bird sh... on the fence either, the Graubster will think I am having a go. 🤣

City Slickers mate... no birds that sit and @#$% on fences... 😝

Nice drop @James Lao would you recommend Verdant for an IPA... think like you that I have been just using plodding old US05... albeit with much success ; )

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

Hey Shamus, you know what I actually can taste a distinct difference to the normal Stout taste, it really is there, so far I haven't figured how to describe it but I like it.

Hey @Shamus O'Sean with my AG I use wheat regularly for head retention mouthfeel etc but don't reckon it pushes a distinct wheat flavour... when coupled with HW yeasts the flavour is completely different... but if you brew a barley malt beer with HW yeast it tastes way much more like weissbier.... I have done a split FV same Wort different yeast comparison with a barley dominant ag wort... and the HW yeast beer tasted very much like weissbier... well closer to weissbier than lager/pils/ales... and more like Coopers Sparkling bizarrely 🤔

I don't reckon wheat really pushes a big flavour profile change... more texture... but I am happy to be corrected...   and anyway the Coopers Wheat Liquid Malt is 50/50 barley anyway...

All good... great discussion Brewers! 😋

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Graubart said:

City Slickers mate... no birds that sit and @#$% on fences... 😝

Nice drop @James Lao would you recommend Verdant for an IPA... think like you that I have been just using plodding old US05... albeit with much success ; )

I love our birdlife & we would all get different types in our gardens/yards depending on location. I get a lot of Honey Eaters, Willy Wagtails, Spoggys, Minors, Murray Magpies etc but the @x#+*&^ Blackbirds & Pigeons make the most mess - blackbirds dig around a make a mess in the ground cover & the Pigeons jus sh.... everywhere.

But they are nice to have around.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Pigeons

Best thing for those ferals is Pigeon Pie... and suspect you may have baked four and twenty Blackbirds in a pie as well @CLASSIC Phil?

Not a supporter of the feral introduced species... 

Edited by Graubart
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Graubart said:

Best thing for those ferals is Pigeon Pie... and suspect you may have baked four and twenty Blackbirds in a pie as well @CLASSIC Phil?

Not a supporter of the feral introduced species... 

We used to eat some Pigeon varieties when I was a kid in the country but the city slicker dudes that crap everywhere these days wouldn't be the same as the scavenge everything, Blackbirds seem to me to be pretty much a waste of time. I am with you on the feral species.

Give me a good old Chook/Turkey/Duck etc but I do like Game Bird, Pheasant, Quail etc. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Hey @Shamus O'Sean with my AG I use wheat regularly for head retention mouthfeel etc but don't reckon it pushes a distinct wheat flavour... when coupled with HW yeasts the flavour is completely different... but if you brew a barley malt beer with HW yeast it tastes way much more like weissbier.... I have done a split FV same Wort different yeast comparison with a barley dominant ag wort... and the HW yeast beer tasted very much like weissbier... well closer to weissbier than lager/pils/ales... and more like Coopers Sparkling bizarrely 🤔

I don't reckon wheat really pushes a big flavour profile change... more texture... but I am happy to be corrected...   and anyway the Coopers Wheat Liquid Malt is 50/50 barley anyway...

All good... great discussion Brewers! 😋

Further to the Wheat Malt Extract I will be adding some to my next 2 brews in the 30l FV's as I can now see the value as far as body, mouthfeel, head retention, I used it in the Stout for an experiment & it really is a nice improvement, Thanks to Shamus & the Graubster telling me to use it.

• Like 1