Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2021?

Hairy

2 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

Time to try something different, not my comments below but agree with most of it, it is actually not bad - I am glad I am not driving anymore today !!

I think that commercial try outs might be better posted across there in "Today's Tastings" started by @supernerdy me old cobber @CLASSIC Phil....  no biggie but a possibility for continuous improvement ; )

• Like 1

It's Pommy grey Weather here so why not have a Pommy Amber Ale ?!  One of the few kegs left... they are all falling around me... HW gone, Big Pils gone, Rye gone, IPA gone... dear oh dear I might have to talk to the Head Brewer 😋

image.thumb.png.abb86c89dbcd13a7f5f3269bd93ba252.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Maybe a tad too much head.  😆

Just pour more slowly next time @Mickep Mick maybe? ... so you capture the bubbles inside the beer and not lost on frothy-top... 

German Hefeweizen protocol is to rinse out the glass with cold water before pouring... stops frothing... as HW is usually very effervescent... 

Anyway just a thought and might be worth having a crack at some stage? 🤔

2 minutes ago, Graubart said:

It's Pommy grey Weather here so why not have a Pommy Amber Ale ?!  One of the few kegs left... they are all falling around me... HW gone, Big Pils gone, Rye gone, IPA gone... dear oh dear I might have to talk to the Head Brewer 😋

image.thumb.png.abb86c89dbcd13a7f5f3269bd93ba252.png

Great looking beer Graubster, Pommies also like Pork Pie & Pickles with their beer ( so do I ) so maybe  next time we could see some Hors d'oeuvres.

Just to make it proper like, do you know what I mean. 🍖  I would give the Head Brewer a serious chat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Popo said:

Magnum Blonde. Not the most exciting beer but pretty good nonetheless. Will brew again when I need to please the masses.

Wow nice looking brew and beer photo @Popo Popo... super super clear!

Go the mighty fence-post-beer-photo ; )

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Pommies also like Pork Pie & Pickles with their beer.

@Graubart @CLASSICThe first time I ever had a pork pie was one Christmas at Melton Mowbray. I had no idea what to expect thinking it would be similar our aussie pies, and I couldn't have been more wrong, and I love them.

776104650_MeltonMowbry.jpg.a8785864e467fec14bced738d60bb02c.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Boot Straps said:

@Graubart @CLASSICThe first time I ever had a pork pie was one Christmas at Melton Mowbray. I had no idea what to expect thinking it would be similar our aussie pies, and I couldn't have been more wrong, and I love them.

776104650_MeltonMowbry.jpg.a8785864e467fec14bced738d60bb02c.jpg

What a great shot @Boot Straps  They are pretty famous Pies, I buy them from Coles but there are better ones at the Adelaide Central Markets. Hot English Mustard & all the Pickles you can find & a beer of course, what more do you want. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Graubart said:

Wow nice looking brew and beer photo @Popo Popo... super super clear!

Go the mighty fence-post-beer-photo ; )

Cheers mate. She's cleared up pretty well. Not too much hop action to cloud it up.

Not a fence post haha. Just a plank table. I'll try and get a fence post in the next one.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Graubart said:

Use liquid malt instead of dry malt... and try using Coopers Liquid Wheat Malt...  and I think if you do one Coopers Ale Kit - plus one can of Coopers Liquid Malt... no more dry malts etc... think it will still be under 5%....  @Shamus O'Sean Shamus can you direct Barra to where that lovely ian's spreadsheet is that you can forecast ABV from - mine is not the latest... 

Just checked on my old spready and that suggests if you use one Coopers Kit plus One Coopers Liquid Malt Can you will hit 4.3% in the bottle... 

Yeah and then try using the headmaster glasses or similar with the scoriations in the base of the glass... 

Hi @Barramullafella A link to my most recent post of "my" version of the IanH spreadsheets is here.

I got it from the Aussie Home Brewer forum.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Hey @Barramullafella  I am looking forward to trying my Coopers Stout as I used a tin 1.5kg can of this in it plus 500gm LDME & the Safale s-04 Yeast  It was bottled on the 26th April & was quite firey.  Reckon Sunday would be a good to test one. 🤪

You will post the results on here I am hoping. What sort of ABV do you expect out of it?

9 minutes ago, Barramullafella said:

You will post the results on here I am hoping. What sort of ABV do you expect out of it?

Well the experts may correct me but 20 litres SG 1068  FG1012, I would say at least 5% maybe more but let's see if someone comments. I keep records but I am not that concerned with the ABV plus I don't really have a program to calculate it. I will post the results as some were done with sugar as well as carb drops. Cheers.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Well the experts may correct me but 20 litres SG 1068  FG1012, I would say at least 5% maybe more but let's see if someone comments. I keep records but I am not that concerned with the ABV plus I don't really have a program to calculate it. I will post the results as some were done with sugar as well as carb drops. Cheers.

If the formula is correct (OG-FG)/7.46 then it shows 7.5% abv which is plenty of grunt. Of the kits I have tried I don't mind any of the Coopers OS kits and the Woolies Lager is not bad either. I plan to pick one and do some experiments [sounds kinky] like adding various amounts of LME and then hops etc until I find a beer that I consider is my favorite. After that who knows. But, I will try and keep around the 4% abv so as I can have a few without ill affects from a heavier % abv.  

13 minutes ago, Barramullafella said:

If the formula is correct (OG-FG)/7.46 then it shows 7.5% abv which is plenty of grunt. Of the kits I have tried I don't mind any of the Coopers OS kits and the Woolies Lager is not bad either. I plan to pick one and do some experiments [sounds kinky] like adding various amounts of LME and then hops etc until I find a beer that I consider is my favorite. After that who knows. But, I will try and keep around the 4% abv so as I can have a few without ill affects from a heavier % abv.  

The Owner of the LBHS said it should finish around 6.3 @22litres so on 20litres it could well be higher, however I don't drink drive so I am not that fussy as long as it tastes good & holds a good head. Cheers.

8 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

The Owner of the LBHS said it should finish around 6.3 @22litres so on 20litres it could well be higher, however I don't drink drive so I am not that fussy as long as it tastes good & holds a good head. Cheers.

I hear ya.

3 hours ago, ozdevil said:

@CLASSIC   @Barramullafella is correct in his calculations 
if you have a lok at https://www.brewersfriend.com/   click on tools  and then calculators   it will come up with every calculator ya need for brewing
very useful  site and most of all the  calculators are all free.

The result by entering the SG/FG into the calculator came out with this but I am sure that would be approximate, however I will stand corrected.

Alcohol By Volume:
7.35%

1 minute ago, CLASSIC said:

The result by entering the SG/FG into the calculator came out with this but I am sure that would be approximate, however I will stand corrected.

Alcohol By Volume:
7.35%

whether it is 7.5 or 7.35%  and becuase you dont drink and drive  it doesnt matter you still will have an enjoyble drink