Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2021?

Hairy

Freshly kegged Aussie lager. Took me a few goes to get this recipe where I want it and where it should be. Absolute banger of a beer. Super simple but little tweaks to the water profile and hopping schedule,  really polished it’s edges from its first iteration. By no means is it a complex beer but it literally tastes like it’s from ya favourite local. And that’s where the technicality lies. 

barret burston

carapils

dex

POR & EKG

SAFLAGER189

90DBAFDE-32BA-4A00-A9B6-FAD89E9BEBF4.jpeg

• Like 8

Nar mate, get into into it.  @Shamus O'Sean

3.8kg Barrett burston pale malt

.2 carapils 

.3 Dex @15 

30ibu

POR @60  

EKG & POR @30 

EKG @ 10

saflager 189 running at 16.5 for 5 days and then bumped to 20 for 5 days. 3 day cold crash. 

i used my local water profile with a yellow dry profile from beer smith. 

bout it

Edited by MitchBastard
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Woohoo 2021 is starting with a lovely W3068 AG Hefeweizen finished in the keg with a bit of natural carb to ensure plenty Hefe and de-Oxy the brew... now on tap.

Am thinking I am getting some Clove and possibly some Narny...   it definitely tastes like Weissbier haha and more funky than my previous versions!  Nice way to kick the NY off 😝

Cheers and Beers all ye Brewers!

image.thumb.png.5b0464dce135900b8d85596baa92a777.png

@Pale Man aka Hefe Man... think you would prolly be ok with it ; )

• Like 9

17 hours ago, Graubart said:

Woohoo 2021 is starting with a lovely W3068 AG Hefeweizen finished in the keg with a bit of natural carb to ensure plenty Hefe and de-Oxy the brew... now on tap.

Am thinking I am getting some Clove and possibly some Narny...   it definitely tastes like Weissbier haha and more funky than my previous versions!  Nice way to kick the NY off 😝

Cheers and Beers all ye Brewers!

image.thumb.png.5b0464dce135900b8d85596baa92a777.png

@Pale Man aka Hefe Man... think you would prolly be ok with it ; )

Looks lovely fella, love the colour.

• Like 2

shout out to all you experienced keggers if I want to skip the cold crash before I keg obviously ill have more gunk on bottom of keg once its cold crashed in keggerator. Has anyone done this and will it just be the first few beers that are hazy or will it mix in and move around if gassed?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jamiek86 said:

shout out to all you experienced keggers if I want to skip the cold crash before I keg obviously ill have more gunk on bottom of keg once its cold crashed in keggerator. Has anyone done this and will it just be the first few beers that are hazy or will it mix in and move around if gassed?

How long is a piece of string?

Don't think my above Hefeweizen will ever clear up - and am happy for that.

So depends on many different things for example:  initial suspended particulate level; hop type and amount; mash n boil re haze from proteins/polyphenols; yeast utilised - is it a high flocc yeast like US05 and W34/70 seem to be good at floccing out - whereas W3068 stays up there happily... and there are probably many other factors I have missed?

Further - I think it depends upon keg size as my little ones seem to clog up with yeast easier and seem to bring more yeast through than the big ones... and some folk I think even cut their liquid offtake tubes shorter to avoid yeast...

But I guess if you have a good high floccing yeast... and your offtake tube is not stuck-in-the-mud (yeast and other particulates) endlessly... eventually things probably will clear up.

While I would suggest that every beer seems a bit different.... I would suggest also that the longer you leave your kegs untouched at 2-3 deg or thereabouts... that with the high floccing yeasts... once you have sucked a little yeast free well around the offtake tube... the brew taken off... as long as the keg is not disturbed... will mostly clear up.

HTH

PS I wouldn't suggest I am an experienced kegger BTW but hopefully the above is useful all the same.... 

Edited by Graubart
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

@Graubart thanks for that I just wasn't sure about how much exactly would sit on bottom and if it would do any harm being sucked through the tubes.  I might just have a bit of patience and cold crash them in fv to start with until get better at it.

Cheers JK - if you are using high flocc yeasts and are going into Big Kegs and just have yeast in solution - I think you might be ok...  first few are a bit more cloudy and then... things can only get better 😛

I had a shocker just recently with one of my 'travellers' - keg hopped in a tea-ball - some hop material escaped the tea ball - got stuck in the valve set-up of my pluto gun... resulting in an unstoppable stream of beer aaaaargggh... that was a learning... fortunately this was a keg in a large barrel of ice and water which then got filled up with beer until the gas could be turned off/PVR released  : \

If it is just a bit of yeast coming through the system - well it's just like drinking Coopers Sparkling or a Hefeweizen really...  and there are plenty of keg systems that run that sort of particulate laden beer routinely... 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

You'll be fine. I've kegged a Hefe without cold crash, and it cleared up too much for my liking.

Kegging no matter what temp is the same as a secondary ferment, which most dont do anymore. Chuck some finings in the keg if you're worried.

1 hour ago, Aussiekraut said:

Total Eclipse. Pale ale, Vienna and wheat malts and Eclipse as the single hop. Not sure why it is so dark though. Head formation is a little sad when ice cold but it sticks around. 

86549915-12D3-4AB8-8D9C-B8D39666CE29.jpeg

I bet it taste better than the swill I'm drinking today AK.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Big bitter bitey Black IPA...  a big bad wallllllloper.... bitter as... 8.3%ABV...  steak in a glass.... mmm maybe steak and hops in a glass 🤪

image.thumb.png.423d4b1226152fc1a578833121a2706e.png

Probably would ease off everything next time... malt... hops... not the water haha!?!    ; )

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

@Graubart at least you were able to save the keg im sure at some stage ill actually manage to do something with keggerator and loose one but hopefully not for a while. 

@Pale Man i wasn't really worried if few came out cloudy but noticed how close to bottom the metal line is in keg and thought if it was too much sediment in bottom it might clog something. I just wanted to see if many skipped cold crash in fridge and done in keg. I wanted brew second one this week and keg both on weekend but one without cold crash but because yeast gives me integestion but could put up with only few glasses being yeasty. I guess its trial and error I won't know until I do it 🍻

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hairy said:

*You’re

It’s, you’re a barrel Hairy! 

Diet starts tomorrow.

This was a Brew Club collaboration and the barrel was stored up the Blue Mountains.

Haha Luvyerwork Hairy.... you never fail to provide a festive line!

But as for the Barrel... mmm.... me too.... so what sort of diet are we on mate?

Am gunna reduce grogs n carbs n meat n do some exercise n see if can turn this big Supertanker around 🤣

Well that is the PLAN anyway mate ; )

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

You'll be fine. I've kegged a Hefe without cold crash, and it cleared up too much for my liking.

Kegging no matter what temp is the same as a secondary ferment, which most dont do anymore. Chuck some finings in the keg if you're worried.

+1. If I don't get a chance to cold crash in the primary i do exactly that. Transfer to the keg. Some gelatine in the keg and it will clear. First pour will be more gunk than usual but after that the same as one cold crashed in primary. Just don't move the keg once it is in place as you will get another gunky pour.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Big bitter bitey Black IPA...  a big bad wallllllloper.... bitter as... 8.3%ABV...  steak in a glass.... mmm maybe steak and hops in a glass 🤪

image.thumb.png.423d4b1226152fc1a578833121a2706e.png

Probably would ease off everything next time... malt... hops... not the water haha!?!    ; )

Would go beaut with a dozen South Aus Oyster Kilpatricks. Yum.

• Like 2