Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2021?

Hairy

1 hour ago, CLASSIC said:

I still got the hop kick from steeping especially in the Grolsch bottles but from know in I will be dry hopping, started this week.

yes I can taste it but not as nice as a dry hop

I cracked a bottle of Country Brewer 'Wal's Pale Ale'  been in the bottle since 15th Feb, at first I was impressed with the carbonation, nice hop aroma & it is pleasant to drink but living proof that unless you add some form of Malt for extra body you lose the foamy constant working head/retention.

I haven't done a brew since without adding LME or LDME ( sometimes grain addition ) & always hops.

My point is this is fine to drink but missing the penaz of my more recent brews.

So I will gradually work down my store of the 'un-malted' stocks apart from the BE boxes & enjoy fuller more flavorsome brews.

Cheers to all.

Phil

20210504_131813 (2).jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I cracked a bottle of Country Brewer 'Wal's Pale Ale'  been in the bottle since 15th Feb, at first I was impressed with the carbonation, nice hop aroma & it is pleasant to drink but living proof that unless you add some form of Malt for extra body you lose the foamy constant working head/retention.

I haven't done a brew since without adding LME or LDME ( sometimes grain addition ) & always hops.

My point is this is fine to drink but missing the penaz of my more recent brews.

So I will gradually work down my store of the 'un-malted' stocks apart from the BE boxes & enjoy fuller more flavorsome brews.

Cheers to all.

Phil

20210504_131813 (2).jpg

Well with the risk of sounding like a broken record I am enjoying a Mangrove Jacks Classic Bitter only about 5 weeks old but I have to tell you the difference to the drinking experience compared to the image above ever is so much better. All of you AG Brewers clearly make decent brews but I am still doing extract with now added Malt Extract etc & enjoying the rewards.

If any newbie comes across please believe me, the beer is so much better. 

Anyway Cheers.

20210504_151731 (2).jpg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Graubart said:

Red a quick question for you esp as you are the King of Kegging and the Guru of Beer Gas - mate the commercial on the left has a nice set of rising bubbles.  Yours on the right does not appear to have the rising bubbles.  I suspect yours does taste good - I am just interested in that 'rising bubble phenomenon'... As you can see in this Amber Ale below  - and which looks good.  Not long after - a few weeks - with my keg on around 18PSI I reckon I went into over-carb territory - maybe as the keg fill volume reduced too... And at the moment - though the Amber tastes great - I am not getting that rising set of bubbles thing happening...  and was having foaming on the pour.  

So it seems to me that there is a stage in the keg when the below happens really well... but as the volume of beer reduces in the keg... that it is easier to overcarb... and then pouring with an overcarb does not generate the below bubble column Fest... 

Any suggestions @Red devil 44 Reddler - and any other Keg Lords - suggestions - most welcome... 

image.thumb.png.86a41448ff5bc24e9d50dc9a4b15af0b.png

Hey @Graubart looks are deceiving, it’s actually very carbonated, not like a store bought beer but I don’t like them too gassy.

I fermented under pressure @30PSI in my Fermzilla, worked out spot on. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

All of you AG Brewers clearly make decent brews but I am still doing extract with now added Malt Extract etc & enjoying the rewards.

If any newbie comes across please believe me, the beer is so much better. 

Anddd, another step up with AG....

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Norris! said:

Nice! Glad you liked it Brother! Now has @Graubart
got his yet?

Will ring them first to make sure it is there...  the little village seems to be off the Main Trunk Road for deliveries and things can take a while to appear : |

Came back from town too late to get to the PO will make a spesh trip @Norris! Norris and retrieve asap ; )   (thank you 🙂)

Will be a good chance to pop into the little Bakery and fetch a pie and some nice apple n custard strudel ; )

Edited by Graubart
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Graubart said:

Will ring them first to make sure it is there...  the little village seems to be off the Main Trunk Road for deliveries and things can take a while to appear : |

Came back from town too late to get to the PO will make a spesh trip @Norris! Norris and retrieve asap ; )

Glad it arrived. Hope the carbonation is on point. Enjoy the brew when you pick it up, well I hope you do.

• Thanks 1

On 5/3/2021 at 6:34 PM, Graubart said:

I would try Coopers Liquid Wheat to begin with ; )  and really any Coopers Ale Kits....  Real Ale, Pale Ale, Dark Ale, Stout... And I would add as well as, a kilo of Coops dry Malt - BE3 I think it is... 

The Coops Kit + Wheat liq malt extract + BE3 will deliver you nice mouthfeel, head, and head retention... in 23L or so... your normal volume... and 18 deg - and maybe be careful - might need the kraussen collar as it might be a bit of a frothy ferment... 

That liquid wheat malt will be the best twelve bux you have spent for a while : )

But then again - there are many ways to the top of the mountain.

I think it is definitely worth a go though @DeviantLogic DL.

I'm game to give something like this a go - I've got a couple of recipes lined up, but I won't queue any others before I try out the wheat malt. BE3 is half a kilo of malt plus some dextrose and maltodextrin, do you think I am better with this or just a kilo of straight malt?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DeviantLogic said:

BE3 is half a kilo of malt plus some dextrose and maltodextrin, do you think I am better with this or just a kilo of straight malt?

As @Graubart says, they are just different ways to the top of the mountain.  Me, I lean toward the straight malt side of the equation.  I only use the BE's these days when they are specified in a recipe.

• Like 3

On 5/3/2021 at 2:33 AM, stquinto said:

Tanqueray and tonic (half-and-half) for a change. Had to go for an alternative to beer, had a gout attack 😳🤪

Maybe I’ve been overdoing the liver and seafood 🤔

Naturally SWMBO’s reaction was “told you so!”

Allopurinol is my best friend

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

As @Graubart says, they are just different ways to the top of the mountain.  Me, I lean toward the straight malt side of the equation.  I only use the BE's these days when they are specified in a recipe.

I lean the same way as you on this one. I had been reluctant to use BE over malt and only did so on my last brew because it was specified in the recipe. If I am making the recipe myself, I think I would much rather use the malt.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, DeviantLogic said:

I lean the same way as you on this one. I had been reluctant to use BE over malt and only did so on my last brew because it was specified in the recipe. If I am making the recipe myself, I think I would much rather use the malt.

Truly Spoken Shamus and Deviant ; )  @Shamus O'Sean and @DeviantLogic   😋

I do agree...  then again it might be worth trying both over time and seeing what the difference is ; )

Yeah that was what I was trying to say... "And I would add as well as, a kilo of Coops dry Malt - BE3 I think it is...'

So I have been educated/reminded yes that BE3 is not pure malt...  so it might be just be better writing 'add as well a box of Coopers dry malt'... ; )

IT may be more cost effective on ingredients to purchase a one kilo box of BE3 which has 500g of malt in it plus other yeast friendly goodies...

As the Coopers pure malt in one 500g box is nearly as expensive?

When I first began again to brew in earnest I bought a 20kg bag of dry malt extract to keep costs down... 

Now I am using 25kg bags of malted grain it is more cost-effective again but I am going broke buying good quality sealing storage containers to store the grain in and keep the rottten *@#$%^&*  rodents etc out : |

It's blllllllardy May and way warm still... need some cold to slow the rabbits rodents and cabbage white butterflies down a bit : \

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 4

42 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Truly Spoken Shamus and Deviant ; )  @Shamus O'Sean and @DeviantLogic   😋

I do agree...  then again it might be worth trying both over time and seeing what the difference is ; )

Yeah that was what I was trying to say... "And I would add as well as, a kilo of Coops dry Malt - BE3 I think it is...'

So I have been educated/reminded yes that BE3 is not pure malt...  so it might be just be better writing 'add as well a box of Coopers dry malt'... ; )

IT may be more cost effective on ingredients to purchase a one kilo box of BE3 which has 500g of malt in it plus other yeast friendly goodies...

As the Coopers pure malt in one 500g box is nearly as expensive?

When I first began again to brew in earnest I bought a 20kg bag of dry malt extract to keep costs down... 

Now I am using 25kg bags of malted grain it is more cost-effective again but I am going broke buying good quality sealing storage containers to store the grain in and keep the rottten *@#$%^&*  rodents etc out : |

It's blllllllardy May and way warm still... need some cold to slow the rabbits rodents and cabbage white butterflies down a bit : \

Sounds like you are under siege by the *@#$%^&*  rodents Oh Grey Bearded One ! I agree the BE 1/2/3 are OK for a start but don't really do much for your beer, I find exceptions with say Stout for example, however I am totally SOLD on Liquid Malt & Dried Malts - they make an enormous difference. 

• Haha 1