Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2021?

Hairy

16 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Done with the Verdant IPA yeast.  If this has contributed to the fruity flavour, it will be a popular yeast.

Suspect I may need to consider putting Verdant IPA yeast on the list SOS - sounds interesting!

• Like 1

I am currently about to have a selection from...

English Bitter - Eng Bit., LDME, EKG tea - kegged approx March 10th
XPA clone -  Real Ale, LDME, Simcoe & Lemondrop tea - kegged approx March 10th
Fixation clone - Real Ale, LME, Mosaic 20 min, Amarillo, Citra, Simcoe tea,  - kegged April 4th
IPA - Brew A IPA, LDME, Mosaic tea, -  - kegged April 19th 

The IPA is surprisingly good for a week in the keg. It's been a while since I had one but my impression is it is the equal of anything I had on a craft tap in pubs back in Bendigo. (no craft beer taps in Murray Bridge)

The Fix is probably the closest I have come to the real thing so far.

The XPA is (I think) better than the XPA the local Club has just taken off tap. (to be replaced with Coopers Stout for winter... grrrrr...)

English Bitter - about average. Next time I will try something different with it. Certainly wasn't up to what I remember from some of the bitters I tried in the UK, but that was a LONG time ago. 😄

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Think it's my best brew yet Euro lager with liquid wheat malt plus 250 DME and 25 gram sazz hop tea. 1 kit yeast one dubbya 22 litres 4.7% in keg. only 6 days on 15psi very nice just carbed enough this will age well and will be buying more Euro lager tins. Thought I.liked 86 days pils until tried this again after infection 10 years ago in my only other attempted Euro batch.

Small sulphur taste but not overpowering or by any means bad. MB has a stronger sulfur taste but this one got more body and mouthfeel. I have fiddled around a bit with alcohol levels think I'm happy at 4.7% my 5.9% doesn't taste much better and is harder to get up next day.

20210426_162034.jpg

20210426_162043.jpg

Edited by jamiek86
  • Like 8

1 minute ago, CLASSIC said:

Looks really good @jamiek86  Seems to have everything going for it, body, good carbonation, clarity & head retention, all you need - oh how does it taste ?

after only 6 days in keg sazz hop tea very forward in taste. Experience tells me 4 to 6 weeks lagering will help the hop tea blend in more. Still needs more carbing for my liking but otherwise ar 6 days I'm happy. Think the 5.9% 86 days pils is on 5 or more weeks already need to drain pale ale keg before get to that.

7 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

after only 6 days in keg sazz hop tea very forward in taste. Experience tells me 4 to 6 weeks lagering will help the hop tea blend in more. Still needs more carbing for my liking but otherwise ar 6 days I'm happy. Think the 5.9% 86 days pils is on 5 or more weeks already need to drain pale ale keg before get to that.

I am all for Hop Power, can't get enough, without it to me the beer tastes pretty ordinary.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

I am all for Hop Power, can't get enough, without it to me the beer tastes pretty ordinary.

I agree for a dry hop in ale but my lagers and pilsners I prefer it blended in and not overpowering

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Journeyman said:

English Bitter - about average. Next time I will try something different with it. Certainly wasn't up to what I remember from some of the bitters I tried in the UK, but that was a LONG time ago. 😄

Hey @Journeyman check out the English bitter thread on the Brewing recipe resource forum. It might give you some inspiration for a new recipe. 
Id insert a helpful link to the thread here if I knew how to do that 🤣

14 minutes ago, Graubart said:

there yer go... that is the bizz fer sher Coopers Liquid Wheat Malt... if yer not mashing wheat in yer brews yerself... 

it's good stuff held a consistent 5mm head for whole glass never went away doesn't seem like much but drank plenty that are gone all together at 10 min mark took me 30 min drink scooner.

I don't usually rush a beer but was walking around doing stuff 😜

Edited by jamiek86
  • Haha 2

On 4/25/2021 at 6:26 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Bright Idea Hazy XPA

Very nice citrus, pine and herbal aroma.
Snip...
This is a really nice beer. 9/10, possibly my best beer ever.

Done with the Verdant IPA yeast.  If this has contributed to the fruity flavour, it will be a popular yeast.

No photo, but tried my bright idea rotm tonight. Only 14 days in the bottle but already tasting really nice with similar citrus and pine flavours. Looking forward to it developing over the coming weeks. 

• Like 4

I just opened the last bottle of my Mr Beer Golden Ale, it was made pretty basic in the Craft FV, the only additives were the supplied yeast & 12gm Cascade Hops.

Definitely it is nothing to write home about but it delivers an honest pleasant tasting beer, obviously lacking in body & loses points for head retention but very drinkable.

All of my brews now contain Malt Extracts & LDME etc & even drinking them younger I can see a vast improvement.  I will eventually drain the stocks of what I call now the inferior batches & get into drinking the more feisty ones.

Cheers.

20210427_143626 (2).jpg

• Like 7

IMG_7572.thumb.jpg.e5bf276c16dbb6b6596d5558c5e9b384.jpg

IMG_7573.thumb.jpg.425d54220577cc90bd31d173da067c14.jpg

this one is a coopers real ale/brew enhancer 3 k+k with a 1.2kg cherrywood smoked malt/cara aroma partial.. smells like a woodfire, has a strong but palatable taste. saaz, amarillo, centennial hops in the 30 min boil and citra for the dry. used a pack and a half of can yeast (coopers R007). i was a bit worried that it would have too much of an extreme taste but it's certainly going down alright.

cherrywood.thumb.jpg.f8afc360f20c4b500f96b17487defe83.jpg

Edited by Stickers
brew enhancer 3
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

I will eventually drain the stocks of what I call now the inferior batches & get into drinking the more feisty ones.

You maybe need to keep some of the 'inferior batches' for some visitors who may like a lighter textured low bitterness beer... 🤔

Edited by Graubart

8 hours ago, Graubart said:

You maybe need to keep some of the 'inferior batches' for some visitors who may like a lighter textured low bitterness beer... 🤔

Good Point, It will take me a while to get rid of them all as some of the 'better' brews with more additives are building up also, maybe I am not drinking fast enough 🤔🙄

• Haha 2

After long day at work, sitting back last night and swallowing a Woolager bottled on 17 March and I could not believe how nice it tasted. About 6 weeks in the bottle and this bottle tasted the best so far. I at first thought it was a different batch, but no, it is the Woolies brand. 

• Haha 1

On 4/20/2021 at 5:51 PM, CLASSIC said:

Well I have said this before, the valuable help I have had from the more experienced members on this forum has turned my beer making experience totally around.

I cannot believe how good this tastes & pours also head retention than it did a few years ago.  It is bloody great, I cannot thank you guys enough.

If I thought I was qualified to give any newbie advice I would suggest read the topics on this forum, ask questions & follow the advice available

it will take your home brewing experience to the next level.

This is a Pale Ale bottled in a 500ml German style bottle with 2 carb drops with EXTRA MALT/HOPS.

It is only 4 weeks old & I am wrapped. 

Cheers

Phil

20210420_172855 (2).jpg

Looks great Phil

1 minute ago, CLASSIC said:

Yes it does look very good, enjoy.

How are ya? going ok? Ive been away a bit. Got out in the boat today. 20 crabs and two nice big squid. I needed a deckie but nobody wanted to come with me. 

I had a ball, just finished cleaning up. This is when the beers kick in.

• Like 2