Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2021?

Hairy

2 hours ago, Stickers said:

had that horrible moment on the train into work where i realised i've got 100+ full bottles in the cupboard.. and only 2 in the fridge. might have a scotch later 🍻

When I get one of those days the quality of my work goes to sh*t coz I can't think of anything else....

• Haha 5

This one is Celebration Ale. The one the other day was Vintage ‘20. Must have been a good night: it always is when SWMBO says “what time did you get to bed then” in the morning 🤣

Really maturing nicely, still good and hoppy but with enough body. Not sure how long the head lasts as I neck it too fast😉

95966A94-B213-455D-B2E5-2BC003CB2CC8.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

Just found this in my local “foreign shop”. Not bad, a bit like Theakstone’s Old Peculiar, if any of you know any of the pom brews from North Yorkshire. 

In all honesty I am more than happy with these recipes, but I need a couple more bottles to make up a set

3AD30983-2B82-4B52-9A3C-F160E14AF7DB.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 4/23/2021 at 3:10 AM, stquinto said:

Just found this in my local “foreign shop”. Not bad, a bit like Theakstone’s Old Peculiar, if any of you know any of the pom brews from North Yorkshire. 

In all honesty I am more than happy with these recipes, but I need a couple more bottles to make up a set

3AD30983-2B82-4B52-9A3C-F160E14AF7DB.jpeg

If it is indeed like Theakstons Old Peculier (note the spelling. They are fussy about it, and there’s and interesting story around it) then it will be delicious. I have a very fond memory of Theakstons Special Bitter by the pint in a pub in Windermere in the Lake District. It was creamy smooth., very tasty.and with a beautiful head.  It turned into a long evening!I believe torrified wheat figures in their brews. I would like to hear if anyone has tried using it, and if so, how it went.

• Like 1

Hey @Barramullafella  Here is the first of the Carb Drops x2 vs 1 x Full scoop measure of White Sugar in Grolsch bottles

MANGROVE JACKS CLASSIC BITTER

This is the one with the 2 x Carb Drops, so far wow - nice, great carbonation, hop burst & excellent head retention.

I will post the 2nd photo shortly with the White Sugar to compare.

I hope you realise you are making me drink more than I had intended, I have been to our traditional Saturday Front Bar p....up & you know what this tastes better than the s.... I was drinking in the Pub.

2 CARB DROPS.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Hey @Barramullafella  Here is the first of the Carb Drops x2 vs 1 x Full scoop measure of White Sugar in Grolsch bottles

I hope you realise you are making me drink more than I had intended, I have been to our traditional Saturday Front Bar p....up & you know what this tastes better than the s.... I was drinking in the Pub.

2 CARB DROPS.jpg

Lol, ya doing it for science, Classic so drink up.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Worts and all said:

It turned into a long evening!I believe torrified wheat figures in their brews. I would like to hear if anyone has tried using it, and if so, how it went.

I used it in my Mexican Stout (follow the links for the recipe).  My thinking is it would replace flaked wheat.  I cannot say that I noticed it at all.  Maybe it helped with head retention.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

This is the one with the 2 x Carb Drops, so far wow - nice, great carbonation, hop burst & excellent head retention.

I will post the 2nd photo shortly with the White Sugar to compare.

2 CARB DROPS.jpg

OK here's the White Sugar contestant ( this was a FULL scoop with the Brigalow Sugar Measure )

VERDICT

Sugar wins !! 🏆

This is a first for me, I have never used sugar in any brews of late, we probably all did once !!

But I have to tell you the difference is amazing, to my surprise it is as not as sweet as the one with the Car Drops, it is a lot harder to pour as it heads up nicely but there is a slight tart taste which not only compliments the bitterness/hops used, but the damn glass is working overtime.

This could change my whole opinion from now on because this has a much sharper taste - just what I wanted in a bitter.

Jeez, I went on a bit, sorry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, CLASSIC said:

OK here's the White Sugar contestant ( this was a FULL scoop with the Brigalow Sugar Measure )

VERDICT

Sugar wins !! 🏆

This is a first for me, I have never used sugar in any brews of late, we probably all did once !!

But I have to tell you the difference is amazing, to my surprise it is as not as sweet as the one with the Car Drops, it is a lot harder to pour as it heads up nicely but there is a slight tart taste which not only compliments the bitterness/hops used, but the damn glass is working overtime.

This could change my whole opinion from now on because this has a much sharper taste - just what I wanted in a bitter.

Jeez, I went on a bit, sorry.

Forgot to add the pic , all @Barramullafella  fault as he made me open another beer.

20210424_162318 (2).jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

23 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I used it in my Mexican Stout (follow the links for the recipe).  My thinking is it would replace flaked wheat.  I cannot say that I noticed it at all.  Maybe it helped with head retention.

Thanks Shamus. I do particularly remember the thick,rich creamy heads which I find very attractive in a beer! A very smooth mouthfeel as well. Like you, I noticed little if any flavour from it. I do use a little wheat malt in some of my pale ales.Probably a similar effect. Cheers!

• Like 1