Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2021?

Hairy

36 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

I can now see the value

Mate you are galloping along the brewing path to the top of the mountain @CLASSIC Phil!

Reckon you should probs also consider a partial at some stage... suggest a light Crystal or medium Crystal addition like 1/2 or kilo steep for 45 with 70 deg water...  and then boil with hops for an hour.. the base hops.  Should open up a new world for you.  Crystal malts have been mashed in the grain by the Maltster so you don't have to worry about doing the full on mash thing but you do need to boil. 

@ChristinaS1 Christina does loadsa good Coopers Brews w partials so probs good to keep an eye out on the watchabrewing page for some of Christina's nice Partials too.. just another possibility. 

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Lettucegrove said:

@CLASSIC I second the partial idea that @Graubart suggested. A tin of coops goo and a couple of kilos of base malt will make you a top notch beer. It's not quite all grain but she's certainly a biiiiiig step up from using liquid and dry malts. 

I started doing partial mashs with Cooper cans, made some good beers and was a good intro, but then I thought with the time it took to do a partial I thought will have a go at AG and nailed my first batch of Stone and Wood pacific ale clone and haven’t looked back. The only time I made a bad beer was when I tried a mash out and it would appear my thermometer was out and ended up with bad tannin taste. That thermometer is banished to the barbecue now😋 and had no problems since. Just give it a go just be accurate with your notes and water volume etc

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Graubart said:

Mate you are galloping along the brewing path to the top of the mountain @CLASSIC Phil!

Reckon you should probs also consider a partial at some stage... suggest a light Crystal or medium Crystal addition like 1/2 or kilo steep for 45 with 70 deg water...  and then boil with hops for an hour.. the base hops.  Should open up a new world for you.  Crystal malts have been mashed in the grain by the Maltster so you don't have to worry about doing the full on mash thing but you do need to boil. 

@ChristinaS1 Christina does loadsa good Coopers Brews w partials so probs good to keep an eye out on the watchabrewing page for some of Christina's nice Partials too.. just another possibility. 

Cheers @Graubart  I always take your comments & suggestions seriously, so thank you. I will definitely be taking this on board. Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lettucegrove said:

@CLASSIC I second the partial idea that @Graubart suggested. A tin of coops goo and a couple of kilos of base malt will make you a top notch beer. It's not quite all grain but she's certainly a biiiiiig step up from using liquid and dry malts. 

OK thanks for your comments, I need to keep climbing up the mountain. ⛰️ Cheers.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Graubart said:

Hey @Shamus O'Sean with my AG I use wheat regularly for head retention mouthfeel etc but don't reckon it pushes a distinct wheat flavour... when coupled with HW yeasts the flavour is completely different... but if you brew a barley malt beer with HW yeast it tastes way much more like weissbier.... I have done a split FV same Wort different yeast comparison with a barley dominant ag wort... and the HW yeast beer tasted very much like weissbier... well closer to weissbier than lager/pils/ales... and more like Coopers Sparkling bizarrely 🤔

I don't reckon wheat really pushes a big flavour profile change... more texture... but I am happy to be corrected...   and anyway the Coopers Wheat Liquid Malt is 50/50 barley anyway...

All good... great discussion Brewers! 😋

GB, I do believe your onto something, I've been using wheat Malt (Morgans Master) extracts in my K&K pales and what not and I'm more than happy to continue with it. It doesn't punch a big flavor as you say but it certainly results in a beautiful creamy white head on the beer, much more than using barley malt.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Graubart said:

Howdy Graubster,

Regarding Wheat/Barley vs Wheat Extracts as image, the difference in price is considerable from what I have found so far, the Pure Wheat Extract doesn't seem to be available on Coopers Website.

Maybe @CoopersDIY Team could advise. 

I will continue searching for the Pure Wheat tin, even Mangrove Jack's is a blend of Wheat/Barley but I am still happy with the results with the first one.

Cheers.

wheat.jpg

wheat.jpg

I did find this & it suggests it still contains Barley ?

About Coopers Malt Extract Wheat Contains 100% Pure Malt Extract
Coopers Malt Extract Wheat is an excellent adjunct for light brews and wheat/Belgian style beers such as Coopers Wheat Beer.
Premium Malt extract, made from Australia's finest 2 row low nitrogen barley and produced in unique centrifuging and evaporation process at low pressure and low temperature to maximise the flavour and colour characteristics.

Yes, Coopers wheat extract is a combination of wheat and barley. I think I have read before that is is 50/50.

I don’t know of any 100% wheat extract tins but I haven’t done much research on it either.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2021 at 5:35 PM, CLASSIC said:

I thought I would sneak a try of the Stout with added Wheat Malt Extract etc, it was bottled on 26th April, I am surprised it tastes as good as it does so early, however I feel it will age well.

This was with 2 x carb drops, I did others with 2 x tsp sugar & also same measure in Grolsch bottles 450ml.

Anyway I am happy with the preview, so Cheers. 🤪

20210508_165110 (2).jpg

@CLASSICLooks pretty good from where I'm sitting Phil.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Boot Straps said:

@CLASSICLooks pretty good from where I'm sitting Phil.

Cheers, for only 2 weeks in the bottle it was pretty good, I only did 20l & used Wheat Malt Extract & some LDME, it has got got plenty of hoot as we determined 7.35-7.5%.

I am going to get another going shortly, I was going to try & mature this but I know what I am like - once tasted thinking it will be better each day but we all know what happens.

10 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

Howdy Graubster,

Regarding Wheat/Barley vs Wheat Extracts as image, the difference in price is considerable from what I have found so far, the Pure Wheat Extract doesn't seem to be available on Coopers Website.

Yeah I was just talking about the Coops Wheat 50:50 which is what I was recommending... as @Hairy notes above... 

Even most "Wheat Beers" Hefeweizen All Grain etc are only 50% wheat... I wouldn't worry about madly trying to chase down pure tins of Wheat Malt... but hey each to their own whatever floats yer boat I guess.... floats your boat or fills yer Vat haha! 😝

Am more suggesting just plain ol Coops Wheat 50/50 as in the picture above... think it will be useful in many a KnK scenario pretty much... 

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Yeah I was just talking about the Coops Wheat 50:50 which is what I was recommending... as @Hairy notes above... 

Even most "Wheat Beers" Hefeweizen All Grain etc are only 50% wheat... I wouldn't worry about madly trying to chase down pure tins of Wheat Malt... but hey each to their own whatever floats yer boat I guess.... floats your boat or fills yer Vat haha! 😝

Am more suggesting just plain ol Coops Wheat 50/50 as in the picture above... think it will be useful in many a KnK scenario pretty much... 

Cheers Graubster, its working fine, I love the drinking experience with it & also the head retention is awesome.

• Like 1

pretty much everything i've learned so far in one beer. kit kilo and 1kg partial, with a 30 min boil and hop additions, nottingham yeast, dry hopped and bulk primed. learning a great deal thanks to some good advice on this forum and a lot of youtubes 🍻

IMG_7657.thumb.jpg.4756a327cd25b3f608c43ee14f795b29.jpg

• Like 5

On 5/9/2021 at 4:21 PM, Graubart said:

City Slickers mate... no birds that sit and @#$% on fences... 😝

Nice drop @James Lao would you recommend Verdant for an IPA... think like you that I have been just using plodding old US05... albeit with much success ; )

Hey GB,

Defo recommend the Verdant IPA yeast mate.

It doesn’t drop clear like US-05 does for me but I am loving the esters it gives.

I have found it doesn’t mute the hops or the malt - found with Kveik I wasn’t getting any malty goodness, just orange peel pith, a bit astringent maybe..

Anyway it’s a bit like a nice mango yoghurt or ice cream with the vanillary type esters and the mango from the Citra and mosaic with my IPA

Give it a crack o bearded one!

Cheers

James

• Like 1

Drinking the Comp IPA I made. It still needs a few days to mature with the high alcohol content, 6.6%, but I am getting good aroma and flavour but the malt still needs to meld in some to get it where I want it. I will be testing one of these every other day or so up to comp day. It cleared up nicely, so everything is falling into place just need it to fully mature before I am like, yup this is a great Brew....It might never get to great but so far it is good. 

Good brewing

Norris

20210511_154333.jpg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Norris! said:

Drinking the Comp IPA I made. It still needs a few days to mature with the high alcohol content, 6.6%, but I am getting good aroma and flavour but the malt still needs to meld in some to get it where I want it. I will be testing one of these every other day or so up to comp day. It cleared up nicely, so everything is falling into place just need it to fully mature before I am like, yup this is a great Brew....It might never get to great but so far it is good. 

Good brewing

Norris

20210511_154333.jpg

Your beers look excellent mate, I am sure you will do well, the IPA looks awesome, so all the very best with the comp.

Cheers

Phil

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CLASSIC said:

Your beers look excellent mate, I am sure you will do well, the IPA looks awesome, so all the very best with the comp.

Cheers

Phil

Thanks alot Phil! I am hoping this matures and gets right, I am not one to send crap out to others so if it doesn't mature like I want it I won't send it, I don't want to waste the judges time or my money/time Hahah.

I am probably the hardest critic on my beers. Any flavour or aroma that comes through that I am not expecting I pretty much note it and down grade my brew from 4/5 to 3/5 because I didn't get the expected outcome from the recipe formulation. But on the flip side, beers that I had said was bad, my Mates have liked and appreciated the different flavours and aromas. We all have different tastes and preferences so one man's horrible brew is another's holy grail. At the end of the day if this gets to where I am happy with it, I will send it...but I am hoping my neurotic tendencies don't hold me back ( We all have baggage and carry it differently.) I truly appreciate your comment, Phil. Thank you

Norris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Green Blob said:

Goes very very well with Galaxy actually. And the Farmhouse yeast I used with it.

Man I am going to try that combo next pay day for sure. What yeast did you use? Imperial farmhouse? I love the flavours I get from kveik so I think I am ready for a saison or table brew (whatever You call it). Or was it saisons yeast?