Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2021?

Hairy

5 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Lovely, I am jealous, I want to keg ASAP.

Honestly I went AG first... in good quality Coopers Largie bottles...

I reckon the beer quantum leap was going AG not in kegging...  but hey kegged beer is great and does in some ways make life easier no doubt.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Honestly I went AG first... in good quality Coopers Largie bottles...

I reckon the beer quantum leap was going AG not in kegging...  but hey kegged beer is great and does in some ways make life easier no doubt.

I want both, but slowly, slowly catch the monkey.

6 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

I want both, but slowly, slowly catch the monkey.

You can make good beer doing quality KnK.

But if get the process right, you can make great All Grain Beer.... in bottles.

You don't hafta have kegs to make great AG beer... 

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 3

Almost matured. I think this will be just fine. I paid for my entry and even gave this a name beyond "comp ipa" it is now called Fiddlers Green after what I call my brewery (the pergola outside in between the kids netball hoop and the dogs swimming pool).

It is going through "I think I have diacteyl" phase that I get with my house pale ale recipe, which used to freak me out until I brewed it 6 or 7 times and the same thing happened each time until it after a week it hit the gas and was awesome. So it is almost ready. Just read the guidelines and it looks like they will drink em on 6th of June, so this will be very nice by then. Just a Good balanced beer that is dangerous at 6.7%.

I ain't going to lie, 2 of these had me 3 sheets to the wind the other night...so I am having 3 tonight. 😎

20210514_182240.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Graubart said:

Probs really should keep this Easy Drinkin' Lager for visitors as is only 5% ABV but got a bit done today that needed doin' so thought I deserved a nice AG Lager

(with Dubbya 34 @MitchBastard of course) haha! 🥳

Cheers Brewers one and all and have a great weekend!👍

image.thumb.png.7ff7b2c4949f65eb780138b00171e6b0.png

Looks a beaut m8. The dubbya has really pulled through for me on my latest Pilsner. Tastes absolutely awesome 

• Like 2

Had a green neck lager last night, brewed to Coopers recipe (well pretty close anyway). 
It’s good without being really good. It was my last knk before starting my partial mashing odyssey. The head retention is pretty average as it dissipates quite quickly. 
I have noticed with the partial method the head retention is better, and a bit more “body” to the beers.
I went for a run this morning thinking that will give me a guilt free beer or two tonight 🤪

Cheers to all, enjoy your weekends ✌️
ED9C84D4-B1BB-40DB-89B4-74A90358ECD7.thumb.jpeg.54000ef3c8058594068b63ec520d11bd.jpeg

• Like 5

I wonder what the magic ingredient is they put in commercial piss to maintain a head? For example, I drink/drank XXXX Gold and as weak and thin as it now tastes to me, it maintains a reasonable head even in the same glass I use for the homebrew. Cheers.

1 hour ago, Barramullafella said:

I wonder what the magic ingredient is they put in commercial piss to maintain a head? For example, I drink/drank XXXX Gold and as weak and thin as it now tastes to me, it maintains a reasonable head even in the same glass I use for the homebrew. Cheers.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/science/2021-02-27/tasmania-giant-kelp-forests-disappearing-global-ocean-warming/11209188?nw=0

Kelp, as well as being profoundly beautiful, is useful.

Giant kelp, like other brown seaweeds, can be refined to produce alginate, an ingredient vital to a surprising range of products.

Alginate is used as a stabiliser and emulsifier in processed foods. It’s also used in textiles, medical supplies and toothpaste.

Perhaps most importantly, it keeps the froth on a pint of beer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tone boy said:

I have noticed with the partial method the head retention is better, and a bit more “body” to the beers.

Hey there @Tone boy Toner... good stuff... and I think that @CLASSIC Phil and @Red devil 44 are believers as well.... 

Yeah I sorta been trying to spread the piratical 🏴‍☠️ good message.... for brew head, head retention, mouthfeel...  the closer to 'the truth' (i.e. the malted grain) you get, the better it will be.

So KnK with a can of LIQUID malt is better than KnK on dry Malt which is better than KnK with Dex which is better than KnK with Sugar which is better than a HB made purely with dry malt (which I have done for a laugh). 

And (I think it is the proteins) WHEAT liquid malt is better than Barley.... and which are denatured (like when you cook an egg) on drying-down-and-concentration (Kit syrup) or during spray drying (dry malt powder). 

So the next step up is Partials - - as you have clearly identified  @Tone boy Toner - - and have noticed the beautiful difference.

And from there to AG.

Then within AG there are all sorts of funky nuances surrounding the actual malted grain type - barley - wheat - rye - oats - the temp you mash at - higher temps 69-70 more body - lower temps 63-64 more fermentables... and the amount of grain per L of brew.... and also the roast level of the malt... darker beers seem to develop that aspect more easily it seems... 

So my current 5% AG Lager is good - but think less body than its previous Penitence Pilsner mate at 7.3%... 

But Brewers like @Aussiekraut AK make a nice Ale with loadsa Maris Otter and mashed high... getting pretty good beer at 3-4%.

Also I think there is influence of the carbonation level as well...  and also the gas type i.e. carbon dioxide pure vs beer nitro blend... and the tap type... and yeast type and ferment temp will also have to have an effect in some way or other. 

Very interesting stuff - and really nice to see that sorta theoretical and scientific background frame of reference of progression in the Beautiful Brewing Journey being implemented and delivering the results mate - well done @Tone boy Toner on your lovely Partial!!

For me, I am going to have a crank at including Rye into more AG beers as @Green Blob Brewmaster Blobski has identified is worthy of further investigation ; )

But everyone has their own way to the top of the mountain and am happy to be corrected in any of the above 🤔

Cheers Brewers 😋

• Like 2

Thanks @Graubart  Yes I agree with that as well. Grains certainly seem to make a difference, to my taste buds anyway. 
There are so many variables as you point out, so lots of combinations to try. 
Im sure AG is at the top of the mountain but I’m finding partial mashing a good medium. I’ll probably stick with PM’s for a while at least until I have the time/space/money for the AG journey. 
I really enjoy seeing the AG creations that you and the other experienced brewers come up with, it’s always inspiring to me. 
Thanks for your kind words of encouragement. Cheers mate 👍

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

Thanks @Graubart  Yes I agree with that as well. Grains certainly seem to make a difference, to my taste buds anyway. 
There are so many variables as you point out, so lots of combinations to try. 
Im sure AG is at the top of the mountain but I’m finding partial mashing a good medium. I’ll probably stick with PM’s for a while at least until I have the time/space/money for the AG journey. 
I really enjoy seeing the AG creations that you and the other experienced brewers come up with, it’s always inspiring to me. 
Thanks for your kind words of encouragement. Cheers mate 👍

I agree the Graubster & Shamus have been very helpful steering me into using extra goodies, it makes so much difference to you brews.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1