Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2021?

Hairy

8 hours ago, MUZZY said:

I wish I'd made this sooner. Absolutely lovely. My attempt at Coopers Best Extra Stout. Coopers OS Stout tin + dark malt extract (+ dextrose but not as much as the recipe so mine is around 4.5%ABV) and what I believe is the key to this being so nice - Coopers commercial ale yeast that I reactivated from a sixer of Pale stubbies. Only bottled 3 weeks ago but has no green-ness about it.

I'm off to the shop tomorrow to get what I need to make this again real soon. This batch is not going to last long. 

IMG20210520214613.jpg

It is 06.56 hrs and looking at that has my mouth watering. Nice one.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Graubart said:

It is an extra PITA with -- beergas cylinder regulator stout tap with perforated plate -- and getting hold of the gas can be harder as well -- plus actually the job of gassing the bllllloooody beer up is much harder work I find... I am very much only a rank beginner... but it is nice when it works and @ozdevil Ozzy I reckon you are right that @CLASSIC Phil your bigger bodied brew might just have come up nice with that system...  this one below is a Stout from a while ago... am hoping to do another one in not too distant future hopefully.

image.thumb.png.5b66afd60ab3b6b9e7c18b1ed558a548.png

Goodness @CLASSIC Phil - this is up to your strict standard - musta been just after a decent belt of rain as the fence rail got no birdddddshitttt on it  🥳

Mmm grass looks a bit greener too ; )

That looks awesome. Very high wow factor.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

That looks awesome. Very high wow factor.

Fair level of extra PITA Factor... but am gunna give it another go shortly.... that more recent Rye Boy on nitro was ok too... think the black and white does have more wow power haha! 

Cheers Muzzzzzzzly ; )

Same fence rail... different feelings... haha 😋

Haha when I hosted the Graubartigebräu Brewery Tour the other day one of the lads reckoned this was his fave... I just said yeah mate only cos it was your first one (out of the 8 you had 😜 so you could remember it)

image.png.7f2bf291f02e1f2203c99e18aad2b41b.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Berserker juice, NEIPA, comp brew 2. Very juicy. I will bottle and send these in on Monday, a west coast ipa included, and hope to get to the comp before Saturday. Should be right. Has a nice silky mouthfeel but crisp, if that makes sense. You can smell the tropical fruit aromas from the table and the taste follows with just enough bitterness to know it is a beer, just like I like em. Some alcohol burn on the aftertaste, 6.6% ABV but it doesn't smell it or detract but I have not let it warm up yet....But only wanker do that (as I warm the glass). At this point, slight yeast aroma, but it is 9 days old, this will fade in a day or two, I feel.

Very good beer and I proud to submit this in. Will the judges like it? Don't know, but I got a Keg of this minus a few bottles so I am happy.

At this point the changes I would do are, to drop the oats. I am not a fan of the silky mouthfeel and prefer it without and that is it. I rate this beer highly.

Good brewing

Norris20210521_155502.thumb.jpg.0bfa719dc3472832c691b30b16b70910.jpg

• Like 12

24 minutes ago, Norris! said:

Berserker juice, NEIPA, comp brew 2. Very juicy. I will bottle and send these in on Monday, a west coast ipa included, and hope to get to the comp before Saturday. Should be right. Has a nice silky mouthfeel but crisp, if that makes sense. You can smell the tropical fruit aromas from the table and the taste follows with just enough bitterness to know it is a beer, just like I like em. Some alcohol burn on the aftertaste, 6.6% ABV but it doesn't smell it or detract but I have not let it warm up yet....But only wanker do that (as I warm the glass). At this point, slight yeast aroma, but it is 9 days old, this will fade in a day or two, I feel.

Very good beer and I proud to submit this in. Will the judges like it? Don't know, but I got a Keg of this minus a few bottles so I am happy.

At this point the changes I would do are, to drop the oats. I am not a fan of the silky mouthfeel and prefer it without and that is it. I rate this beer highly.

Good brewing

Norris20210521_155502.thumb.jpg.0bfa719dc3472832c691b30b16b70910.jpg

Excellent Norris, sounds like a winner already, again, all the best with the comps.

Cheers

Phil

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, RDT2 said:

Trying my recently purchased glass with a beautiful clear Saison. Didn’t use any clarifiers  in it just cold crash.

what's the approx abv on that one? looks a beauty

• Thanks 1

Hoegaarden Side-by-side taste test.  My brew also discussed here.

Hoegaarden Commercial version

Hoegaarden AG clone

Aroma: Spicy, subtle banana and citrus

Lighter colour, less haze

Persistent head

Taste: Much more subtle flavour.  Actually a bit boring.  Maybe even stale tasting.

Aroma: Slightly less spicy, but more earthy

Darker colour and more haziness.  This might have been one of the first bottles out of the fermenter, so could contain some yeast trub from the tap.

Persistent head.

Taste: The coriander is obvious; flavour is spicy, and peppery.

Mine tastes much better and fresher.

IMG_2426.JPG.2a9ac693fbaddd568340cb8b638c704e.JPG

• Like 8

April ROTM Triple Choc Stout. 5 days in the bottle. First all extract brew I've done in ages. Bloody delicious it delivers. Big personality this one. It's yelling out I'll take on all comers. I've got a keg of this conditioning. This will be a beauty in the depths of winter. 

20210521_214617.jpg

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hoegaarden Side-by-side taste test.  My brew also discussed here.

Hoegaarden Commercial version

Hoegaarden AG clone

Aroma: Spicy, subtle banana and citrus

Lighter colour, less haze

Persistent head

Taste: Much more subtle flavour.  Actually a bit boring.  Maybe even stale tasting.

Aroma: Slightly less spicy, but more earthy

Darker colour and more haziness.  This might have been one of the first bottles out of the fermenter, so could contain some yeast trub from the tap.

Persistent head.

Taste: The coriander is obvious; flavour is spicy, and peppery.

IMG_2426.JPG.2a9ac693fbaddd568340cb8b638c704e.JPG

I'll give your AG recipe a go Shamus. My wife's favourite beer. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, RDT2 said:

Dessert, Oatmeal Stout Delicious 

AD737902-40B8-4EB6-B29E-71736FBA9688.jpeg

Beautiful mate. Licking my lips. I reckon oatmeal is a great addition to a true winter stout. You need guts. Also some roast malt. Gives character. I need to brew another stout. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Capital Pils, bottled 6th March. Originally it tasted really alcoholic, like I should be on a park bench shouting at passers by (doesn’t happen every day ….) but those flavors have been reabsorbed. A bit darker than I expected though

D2644F29-F9E1-48E9-AE7D-C48A77CAD899.jpeg

DA287492-10A0-4B2F-B215-78238EDB025C.jpeg

• Like 10

18 hours ago, Norris! said:

But only wanker do that (as I warm the glass).

What a beautiful Brew @Norris! Wow!  I deffo need to have a crank at something like that... sennnnnsational!!! 

As for the wnnnker... 

I think you, like me Kegging King and Gas Guru @Red devil 44 Reddler, you will need to get yourself a "I'm a Craft Beer Wankkker" T-Shirt for when you are warming the glass 😋

image.thumb.png.cca7fd8a6f5e61eab8a9a83f967bc6a0.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Great stuff @Shamus O'Sean Shamus.

I am very much coming around to thinking that there will be brews that are just much better drunk fresh.

My last IPA was done in Lent and was ages till I drank it after Easter and I reckon it was down on Hop Aroma though it had smelled soooooo good while fermenting...  guess I coulda lost some of those Hop Aromas out of the spunding valve and that was what I was smelling... but doing it in the PFV you would think more would be retained?

So I really do reckon you are onto something here mate!

I think too that I might need to chase some better fresher hops for more festive aromas... 

Supposedly HW are best drunk fresh too - will be interesting to see how my current HW goes - as I think I will just keg and gas it (not do natural in-keg carb) and try it young ; )

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Beautiful mate. Licking my lips. I reckon oatmeal is a great addition to a true winter stout. You need guts. Also some roast malt. Gives character. I need to brew another stout. 

Cheers mate it’s a great beer took some to my dad's place and the 90year old neighbour was over in a flash, let’s just say he abandoned is freshly opened Great Northern and shoved it under dad’s nose saying you can have that🤣 He was like a Jack Russell waiting for his dinner! Fit old bugger he goes crayfishing with his 92year old mate and still pulls the pots by hand 💪 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, RDT2 said:

Cheers mate it’s a great beer took some to my dad's place and the 90year old neighbour was over in a flash, let’s just say he abandoned is freshly opened Great Northern and shoved it under dad’s nose saying you can have that🤣 He was like a Jack Russell waiting for his dinner! Fit old bugger he goes crayfishing with his 92year old mate and still pulls the pots by hand 💪 

Blooooooddy beautiful RD... great story... The ol' bloke still goes crayfishing and he knew which beer to grab ; )   Ripper!

Know here is the big question - did you take over in Growler?  Am interested in keg beer portability ; )

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Graubart said:

Blooooooddy beautiful RD... great story... The ol' bloke still goes crayfishing and he knew which beer to grab ; )   Ripper!

Know here is the big question - did you take over in Growler?  Am interested in keg beer portability ; )

That beer no still in the bottle but Saison in a growler using a hose on the tap worked great just made growler cold before filling and turned gas off so it flowed slowly 👍 can’t wait to put a stout on tap

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RDT2 said:

First beer of my brewing year on a spring like day in Melbourne, an English bitter -fuggles/Golding's, simple , good

I have brewed a couple of bitters & I am fast becoming a fan, I love my Pale Ales etc but the bitter/sweet flavour of a Bitter is lingering. I used Goldings but should try Fuggles too.

• Like 2

PARTY IN A GLASS

Wow just opened a Stout 4 weeks in the bottle, I had to pour it on the sink !! This was made with the aid of Wheat Malt Extract &LDME.

I can only hope that all of my beers turn out like this, a bit heady, but great flavours,  Well Done Coopers.

The aggressive, lingering head stays with you right to the end.

Happy Camper. 😄

20210522_161046 (2).jpg

• Like 8