Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2021?

Hairy

First schooey of the latest German Pilly. I might just label this as the best beer I’ve ever made. Took a while to get this recipe dialled in but she’s trimmed and polished to where it needs to be. It’s just good. Let’s hope the keg lasts long enough to be able to submit a bottle to the Gold Coast Brewing Championship. 

F1CCE997-1553-4283-B619-9D3904A91C93.jpeg

• Like 10

Seems to be something going on around Aussie at the moment with Hefeweizens @kmar92 and @Red devil 44.... whoops I missed @Shamus O'Sean (this agglomeration was hard enough - anyway Shamus very welcome to throw yours (your two w different yeasts!) up there with these - am sure you can find them unlike me : \

I think the problem is that Beers get posted to the Ferment Thread, Roast Pork on the Wadja drinkin' thread.... and then @Green Blob Blobski bags me for putting up Bread Pictures on the What's on yer Barbie thread... mmm I think I might go have a beer this is all doin' my head in 🤪

Or maybe put some Radishes up on the Watchagrowin' thread 🥳

image.thumb.png.26b08e172101a8cf6870662275cc1781.png

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Graubart said:

Aussie Hefeweizen revolution... Qld - NSW - SA - come on the rest of you?!

I reckon that you are right Graubart.  I think both @kmar92 and @Tone boy were brewing or thinking of brewing wheat beers.

Might have to start another Style: Australian Wheat Beers.  What would we call them?

I think that my Hoegaarden clone also qualifies.

IMG_2357.thumb.JPG.c2144293f26b49c7eabc6611555294f6.JPG

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Might have to start another Style: Australian Wheat Beers.  What would we call them?

Whitefullas ? 😝

Weizenbier or Hefeweizen, in the southern parts of Bavaria usually called Weißbier (literally "white beer", but the name probably derives from Weizenbier, "wheat beer"), is a beer, traditionally from Bavaria, in which a significant proportion of malted barley is replaced with malted wheat.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Festive.

.... somewhere out there not far from a.... Trockenbärenauslese?

Think you have been located too close to the Barossa for too long @CLASSIC Phil haha!

Well  straight up the Freeway is Hahndorf ( German town in the Adelaide Hills ) & of course LOBETHAL BIERHAUS

All good places to go of course.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

First schooey of the latest German Pilly. I might just label this as the best beer I’ve ever made. Took a while to get this recipe dialled in but she’s trimmed and polished to where it needs to be. It’s just good. Let’s hope the keg lasts long enough to be able to submit a bottle to the Gold Coast Brewing Championship. 

F1CCE997-1553-4283-B619-9D3904A91C93.jpeg

mate you sure that isnt water  lol

extremely great clarity there  would really be great beer  on on hot summers evening  nice and chilled i reckon..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Looks great Mitch.  Bubbles assisted by nucleated glass.  However, it looks like it does not need any assistance at all.  A clear winner in my book.

Looks great @MitchBastardThat would be a disaster if you knocked too much off before the Comp, just imagine, you would have to top up a few bottles with commercial swill to give the judges a drink.

But I am sure you are smarter than that. Good Luck mate.

Cheers.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I reckon that you are right Graubart.  I think both @kmar92 and @Tone boy were brewing or thinking of brewing wheat beers.

I haven’t had a crack at one yet, but have definitely turned my mind to it. I’m thinking towards spring time I’ll take the plunge so I’ll have a new experience for the taste buds once the weather starts warming up. 
From what I’ve seen on here, the lallemand Munich might be worth a shot, and some liquid wheat malt. Undecided on whether to add orange zest or coriander seeds, or maybe that’s more a Belgian style than a Hefeweizen...

Anyway the seed has been planted🤗

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

From what I’ve seen on here, the lallemand Munich might be worth a shot, and some liquid wheat malt. Undecided on whether to add orange zest or coriander seeds, or maybe that’s more a Belgian style than a Hefeweizen...

Yes @Tone boy Toner I believe the Coriander and Orange additions are more of a Belgique... more of a Witbier I guess...   🤔

@kmar92 KMar's HW brew looked pretty nice and was a KnK w Tom Coops Preacher's HW and a tin of the Coops Liq Malt plus a few more bits and pieces...

Reckon that would be a good place to start ; )

On 5/21/2021 at 2:58 PM, kmar92 said:

Yes @Graubart Burbler, it was a TC Preacher's Hefe Wheat + 1 tin of wheat malt extract + 500gms rice malt syrup and a dash of LDM. It is a beautiful drop...

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Graubart said:

Woohoo got them all now...... 🙂

image.thumb.png.58640dcb94907daf685a8224641187ab.png

Anyone got a good extract recipe, I've never made one? How's the Coopers one go on the recipe page? What's a good commercial example I can sample from Dan's? 

14 minutes ago, bennysbrew said:

Anyone got a good extract recipe, I've never made one? How's the Coopers one go on the recipe page? What's a good commercial example I can sample from Dan's? 

@kmar92 KMar's above brew looks the goods BB -- brief description a post or so above -- and more over on the Wotsinmyfermenter page... think KM did Lally Munich at 20 deg C.

Commercial Sample - Bavarian HW - Bavaria being the home of good HW:

Weihenstephaner Hefeweizen

and

Franziskaner Hefeweizen

Any others @Aussiekraut AK?

I would conscientiously avoid the Schöfferhofer Hefeweizen as it just does not taste like Bavarian Hefeweizen...

If you like HW from Frankfurt well help yourself.

But there are many ways to the top of the mountain 👍

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Graubart said:

Woohoo got them all now...... 🙂

image.thumb.png.58640dcb94907daf685a8224641187ab.png

You are building a nice gallery of wheat beers Graubster, it would be interesting if they would all be placed in a competition & judged but we are all pretty spread out I guess.

I am trying to use up some earlier brews, this one Wal's Lager-Country Brewer, that have been around for a while, drinkable ( more like pub swill ) but not even on the same page with the beers made in the last 6 months or so. Obviously the addition of some form of Malt Extract has taken my beers to greater heights, some of the photos I have posted lately have shown quite 'heady' beers with a bit more pizzazz & of course more body.

I have a way to go before I can compete with some of the Wheat Beers & others that some of our 'gun' brewers have posted, they are truly remarkable.

It beats me why LHBS people, mainly employees don't or haven't suggested the use of the Wheat/LME available as they all seem to stock them along with their AG products.

Most of my visits to the LBHS get shorter now because when the owner is there it is a chance to stock up on the right sort of goodies & get the right advice to make better beer.

I almost feel like apologising for posting these sub-par images but my point was what a difference LME additions make to your brew.

Cheers

Phil

beir.jpg

beir.jpg2.jpg

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Graubart said:

Weihenstephaner Hefeweizen

and

Franziskaner Hefeweizen

Any others @Aussiekraut AK?

Let’s not forget Erdinger, Schneider and of course the very yummy but very regional and virtually impossible to get in Australia: Unertl. 

I agree with the Schöfferhofer, it isn’t a particularly good wheat beer. It’s better than nothing I suppose but if I have the choice, it’s right at the bottom of my list. Maisel’s is a fairly common brand but again, it comes from Franconia if I am not very much mistaken and as a real Bavarian, anything not upper or at least lower Bavaria isn’t really Bavaria 😀

I also don’t mind a Paulaner or Hacker Pschorr but you likely won’t find these on our shores either.

Edited by Aussiekraut
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Let’s not forget Erdinger, Schneider and of course the very yummy but very regional and virtually impossible to get in Australia: Unertl. 

I agree with the Schöfferhofer, it isn’t a particularly good wheat beer. It’s better than nothing I suppose but if I have the choice, it’s right at the bottom of my list. Maisel’s is a fairly common brand but again, it comes from Franconia if I am not very much mistaken and as a real Bavarian, anything not upper or at least lower Bavaria isn’t really Bavaria 😀

I also don’t mind a Paulaner or Hacker Pschorr but you likely won’t find these on our shores either.

Beautiful...  Danke sehr

Yes as there is no Unertl to be had one must brew own ; )

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Maisel’s is a fairly common brand but again, it comes from Franconia if I am not very much mistaken and as a real Bavarian, anything not upper or at least lower Bavaria isn’t really Bavaria

And we don't think we are Bavarian either haha @Aussiekraut AK...

We never agreed back then and it wouldna happened except you had some dodgy French Mate!?!

Most of modern-day Franconia became part of Bavaria in 1803 thanks to Bavaria's alliance with Napoleon

image.png.732b0e3612280e0a0039fa7e1b148281.png

2 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

ROTM Triple Choc Stout first glass from the keg. Probably the nicest extract beer I've ever made.  I've turned to AG but highly recommend this.

Wow Delish Paleo @Pale Man... what a beautiful looking Brekky Beer with an amazing creamy top.... great job Cob... night shift?

Edited by Graubart

Just now, Graubart said:

Wow Delish Paleo... what a beautiful looking Brekky Beer with an amazing creamy top.... great job Cob... night shift?

Hey there GB. Yep just knocked off work. Couldn't help myself but have a crack. Just over a week in the keg. Kudos to Coopers on putting this one recipe together. It's tasty. I modified it slightly by adding 300 grams of oats. I'd think about swapping the liquid malt for liquid wheat and I think we have a stomper. Might go and pour another. 

• Haha 1