Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2021?

Hairy

On 5/16/2021 at 10:45 AM, Popo said:

Hey Norris, 

What method do you use to bottle from the keg? If it's going to be drunk within the day, I just bottle straight from the tap with the gas turned off. I use a carb cap and top up with gas it up if I know it's going to be a few days. 

A couple of comps coming up that I'd like to enter to get some feedback but not sure on the best method to maintain carbonation without giving away a carb cap on each bottle.

mate get yours self a counter pressure bottle filler  , the gas will hold for along time longer then the judge will take judging your beer

and cap it like you normally would if you was bottling straight from fermenter

this way you dont give away ya carb caps 

kegland sell them cheap   however there new nukatap bottle filler isnt in stock but they have 2 other forms of counter pressure fillers

or  the Tap cooler     by keg king   

seriously you will not look back from any of these products     

• Like 2

At about 4 weeks in the bottle I cracked the lid on an OS Real Ale + BE2 and I found the beer to be darker than I thought it would be [dark gold]. Tasted very refreshing fruity, and a nice bitter after taste. The malt flavour was not over present.  I won't brew another OS Real Ale as not quite to my taste though it is not a bad beer.  

OS Real Ale 2105.jpg

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Barramullafella said:

I won't brew another OS Real Ale as not quite to my taste though it is not a bad beer.  

Have a look at some of the recipes that use the OS Real Ale can as a base.  Adding hops and grain steeps to the Real Ale does produce some great beers.  At least as good, if not better than the Thomas Coopers Family Secret Amber Ale, and a fair bit cheaper.  But I know, so many recipes and so little time.😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Have a look at some of the recipes that use the OS Real Ale can as a base.  Adding hops and grain steeps to the Real Ale does produce some great beers.  At least as good, if not better than the Thomas Coopers Family Secret Amber Ale, and a fair bit cheaper.  But I know, so many recipes and so little time.😁

Thanks for the tip, Shamus. I am slowly getting around to adding some extras but takes a bit of time to get through my beer stock to put a new batch down. I don't mind the taste of that Real Ale, just not my ideal beer which is leaning more towards the 'lager' base but using ale yeast as in the tropics and using the old swamp cooler. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Popo said:

Just checked out his video. It's such an easy method. Cheers, man! 

I liked it a lot also. The fact that you are filling with CO2 and then filling, like a counter pressure filler, makes me feel more comfortable and Graubart's beer was at least 2 weeks from when I bottled it so that was a good sign but he could have poured violently also, hahaha. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Norris! said:

Graubart's beer was at least 2 weeks from when I bottled it so that was a good sign but he could have poured violently also, hahaha. 

I am not normally a violent man 🏴‍☠️

image.png.378fb922e5a31cdaa33a703a3e4a8434.png

Mmm... well maybe after a few rums it might kick in haaaaarggggahhhhharrrgh me Hearties?!?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

Last night I had a neighbor round for a few home brews, the Stout was only bottled on 26/04 & this is one of them I used white sugar vs carb drops, fairly aggressive pour.

I used the Wheat Malt Extract & 500gm LDME so it's plenty lively & tastes really good.

Cheers.

20210518_181154 (2).jpg

they  have good looking heads  to your stout mate   its making me drool for a stout right now...

15 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

It was hard to get a neat looking head but it lasted all through the drink, my mate liked it too so that is a good thing.

they looked like they would...    i reckon these 2 would have been good with nitro ,  cant really do nitro when bottling + expensive

its great when you get good back from mates saying the enjoyed it..

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

@CLASSIC I found a 30 gram EKG hop boil for 20 or so is good addition for a stout too if added the extra malt

Fair enough, I assume you are talking about East Kent Golding Hops, sounds interesting for the Stout. The Malt addition (Wheat) was bloody awesome, so much body, so I appreciate your input.

I didn't actually add any hops to this brew but I certainly will next time.

Cheers.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Fair enough, I assume you are talking about East Kent Golding Hops, sounds interesting for the Stout. The Malt addition (Wheat) was bloody awesome, so much body, so I appreciate your input.

I didn't actually add any hops to this brew but I certainly will next time.

Cheers.

I found it worked well for me because East Kent Goldings haven't got a very high alpha acid and the coopers Irish stout recepie was based on using BE3. So I thought adding extra malt wouldn't hurt to add more bitterness.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Journeyman said:

This was last night's session - the IPA. This is as good as I can recall having for an on-tap IPA and better than most, and it's improving! Which means I'm about to run out... right? 😄 

Isn't that normally the way, the Pale Ale I have just finished was as close as I have tasted to the real thing & my visitors reckon they couldn't tell the difference, so I need to get the ROTM AUS IPA on ASAP as Pale Ale is one of my favorites. 

Maybe you should have used a butcher glass so it last's longer. 🤔

On 5/19/2021 at 2:02 PM, ozdevil said:

i reckon these 2 would have been good with nitro ,  cant really do nitro when bottling + expensive

It is an extra PITA with -- beergas cylinder regulator stout tap with perforated plate -- and getting hold of the gas can be harder as well -- plus actually the job of gassing the bllllloooody beer up is much harder work I find... I am very much only a rank beginner... but it is nice when it works and @ozdevil Ozzy I reckon you are right that @CLASSIC Phil your bigger bodied brew might just have come up nice with that system...  this one below is a Stout from a while ago... am hoping to do another one in not too distant future hopefully.

image.thumb.png.5b66afd60ab3b6b9e7c18b1ed558a548.png

Goodness @CLASSIC Phil - this is up to your strict standard - musta been just after a decent belt of rain as the fence rail got no birdddddshitttt on it  🥳

Mmm grass looks a bit greener too ; )

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Goodness @CLASSIC Phil - this is up to your strict standard - musta been just after a decent belt of rain as the fence rail got no birdddddshitttt on it  🥳

Mmm grass looks a bit greener too ; )

That really does look good @Graubart  Graubster, nice lacing on the glass, the fence is clean too. 🐦 It is the weather for Stout, I ain't giving anymore of mine away, tastes too bloody good with the Wheat Extract, Thanks to you.

• Haha 1

I wish I'd made this sooner. Absolutely lovely. My attempt at Coopers Best Extra Stout. Coopers OS Stout tin + dark malt extract (+ dextrose but not as much as the recipe so mine is around 4.5%ABV) and what I believe is the key to this being so nice - Coopers commercial ale yeast that I reactivated from a sixer of Pale stubbies. Only bottled 3 weeks ago but has no green-ness about it.

I'm off to the shop tomorrow to get what I need to make this again real soon. This batch is not going to last long. 

IMG20210520214613.jpg

• Like 8