Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2021?

Hairy

@Shamus O'Sean I'm definitely not a fan of the light crystal I made this mistake years ago but was convinced it was the bottle conditioning that made it too sweet. Lesson learnt ill be chucking the remainder of it to avoid using it again. 

Is this the first time it's happened to yourself? assuming you have used specialty malts a fair bit before?

Stone and Wood Pacific Ale clone has turned into a very nice beer. I tasted it after a day in the keg was like meh 😑 So I thought I will whack some hops in a hop ball in the keg to give it a lift. It has settled nicely since Friday and is a nice beer. Not a hop bomb but nice easy session drinker with a little bit of  hop aroma and flavour coming through from the Galaxy. Had a non beer drinker have a taste and liked it saying it smells like passion fruit which I thought was impressive as I gave no indication of what was in it!

06E42E4A-364F-4282-8185-4EFD1E37EC82.jpeg

• Like 8

12 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

@Shamus O'Sean I'm definitely not a fan of the light crystal I made this mistake years ago but was convinced it was the bottle conditioning that made it too sweet. Lesson learnt ill be chucking the remainder of it to avoid using it again. 

Is this the first time it's happened to yourself? assuming you have used specialty malts a fair bit before?

Hey Jamie, I have used light crystal in plenty of beers.  This is the first time the result has been so sweet.  My beers with light crystal in them usually taste fine to my liking. 

Looking at the recipe, I do not think that there is enough IBU's to balance out the total malt ingredients.  The Preachers Hefe Wheat only adds about 18-19 IBU's.  The 30 minute hop steep would add bugger all IBU's.  The BU:GU (Bitterness Units ratio to Grain Units) is about 0.3.  This seems way too low for this style of beer.

I just tapped the keg of this beer last night.  It should be ready to try tonight.  The taste-test I did was with a spare bottle I filled on kegging day.  I just hope it is a bit better from the keg.  Maybe also needs some more time.  14 days can be a bit early to start drinking higher alcohol brews.  Some extra bite from slightly better carbonation might help too.

With your ESB, can you be a bit more specific about the extra hop boil you did and added later to try to combat the sweetness.  What did you do?  What hops did you use?  How did you add it?  What did it taste like?  Why do you think it did not work?  I think if I did a 15-30 minute boil of some Galaxy, it would add the bitterness necessary for the Hazy IPA.  But maybe the bitterness component needs to go through a fermentation process to properly meld with the brew.

I notice Crystal Malt gets a bit of stick now & again, I used Light Crystal Malt 250gm yesterday in the ROTM AUS IPA - only because the recipe called for it, as you know I am not entirely familiar with grains but researching it I found this ... Crystal malt can be substituted with a slightly paler or darker version if your homebrew store doesn’t carry the exact color. Don’t be afraid to make substitutes.

Would there have been a better choice for the IPA or would that take away the original flavour intention ?

Cheers

Phil

@Shamus O'Sean I just done a hop tea in plain water 30 grams of mosaic in a litre that boiled down to just under half litre in 20 mins and 10 steep with lid on. Tried mixing that in keg swirling it around would have been better in boil in wort that's for sure. Definitely wasn't blended in at all and done nothing.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

Would there have been a better choice for the IPA or would that take away the original flavour intention ?

Coul;dd go lighter, darker will completely change it. Would still be good though

On 5/29/2021 at 5:59 PM, Norris! said:

@CLASSIC

@Graubart

@Green Blob

I have bottled up a NEIPA for you each but I ran out of pet bottles for the IPA, and we are in lockdown, so hopefully I can get some on Thursday and head to the post office and send these out. I think they are fair beers but will see what y'all think.

Bad news and fair news. The IPA keg went dry...it was pretty nice. Faur news is I bottled a few at kegging. They were secondary fermented, which I know throws the flavour off from the keg version. I will send these but just know that the flavour and taste has changed due to the 2ndary fermentation. Basically I kind of co-sign the brew but it isn't fully as I intended. Should be good still, I will try one tomorrow and if it passes my taste test I will send for y'all to review with the NEIPA

Edited by Norris!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Norris! said:

Bad news and fair news. The IPA keg went dry...it was pretty nice. Faur news is I bottled a few at kegging. They were secondary fermented, which I know throws the flavour off from the keg version. I will send these but just know that the flavour and taste has changed due to the 2ndary fermentation. Basically I kind of co-sign the brew but it isn't fully as I intended. Should be good still, I will try one tomorrow and if it passes my taste test I will send for y'all to review with the NEIPA

Sounds good @Norris!  Expect some Stubby Holders in the Post, Cheers & Thank you.

9 days into bottle aging I had a little taster of my pale ale and my dark ale, pale was nice, had some fizz but will definitely get better with a bit more time, but very drinkable right now, but the dark I was very impressed with, the fizz needs more work, but flavours were really good and I'm very happy with the result. weekend test for the pale /dark mix, but the other two will be good to go.... ✌️👍😉😁

• Like 2

only 6 days in keg Mr beer north west pale still under carbed was warm when went in keg so probably didn't absorb co2 for at least first day. Not getting as much punch as though would from 29 gram galaxy dry hop as thought. Always thought galaxy was strong enough to use small amounts but still tasty beer before bed.

20210603_061519.jpg

• Like 7

8 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

only 6 days in keg Mr beer north west pale still under carbed was warm when went in keg so probably didn't absorb co2 for at least first day. Not getting as much punch as though would from 29 gram galaxy dry hop as thought. Always thought galaxy was strong enough to use small amounts but still tasty beer before bed.

Looks good @jamiek86  I have never had a bad one in the Mr Beer range in fact I have the North West Pale Ale to go in the Craft fermenter tomorrow, I was going to use POR, I have 50grams but would only use half I reckon.

Cheers.

22 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Looks good @jamiek86  I have never had a bad one in the Mr Beer range in fact I have the North West Pale Ale to go in the Craft fermenter tomorrow, I was going to use POR, I have 50grams but would only use half I reckon.

Cheers.

yes its nice drop just with used bit more galaxy for flavour 

1 hour ago, jamiek86 said:

@RDT2 did u leave hop ball in keg while serving or just drop it in for few days before drink then remove?

It’s still in there but wouldn’t be in contact with the beer anymore so I can’t see what harm it would do unless someone tells me otherwise in regard to grassy flavours etc

Edited by RDT2

3 minutes ago, RDT2 said:

It’s still in there but wouldn’t be in contact with the beer anymore so I can’t see what harm it would do unless someone tells me otherwise in regard to grassy flavours etc

did u let it float freely or had it hanging from a string? chuck it straight in and let it float?

11 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

did u let it float freely or had it hanging from a string? chuck it straight in and let it float?

My hop ball has a small chain on it and connected it to the metal loop on the bottom side of the lid would of sat in the beer for a couple of days and should be high and dry now. With the beer being cold it should sink when in contact with the beer.

Edited by RDT2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RDT2 said:

My hop ball has a small chain on it and connected it to the metal loop on the bottom side of the lid would of sat in the beer for a couple of days and should be high and dry now.

thanks mate mine was already a little low and might not reach I might just have to let float for few days and remove before drink. Either that just drink it and remember for next time I just added a strong hop tea to current pale ale brewing so not disappointed.

9 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

thanks mate mine was already a little low and might not reach I might just have to let float for few days and remove before drink. Either that just drink it and remember for next time I just added a strong hop tea to current pale ale brewing so not disappointed.

No worries my beer tastes a bit sweet or something to me don’t know why,  will mash lower next time although everyone else loves it 🤷 it is easy to drink though but just not what I was after. It’s funny the recipe was my first all grain brew a couple of years ago and  I nailed it🙄 unless my tastes have changed

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, RDT2 said:

No worries my beer tastes a bit sweet or something to me don’t know why,  will mash lower next time although everyone else loves it 🤷 it is easy to drink though but just not what I was after. It’s funny the recipe was my first all grain brew a couple of years ago and  I nailed it🙄 unless my tastes have changed

know what u mean after my failed EB partial that was too sweet I gave kegs time to catch up stock so drank bottles that were spread around. I actually thought the Mr Beer NWPA tasted a little less bitter than last time but after being on night shift this week probably not best judge.

• Like 1