Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2021?

Hairy

Just now, CLASSIC said:

Apparently this one, it worked out well & tastes bloody awesome.

Phil, I am bloody impressed. For someone that has been drinking beer for longer than lots on here your adventures in homebrew are astounding.

I was having a few at Blackhops the other day and there were all types there, it's great.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Green Blob said:

Phil, I am bloody impressed. For someone that has been drinking beer for longer than lots on here your adventures in homebrew are astounding.

I was having a few at Blackhops the other day and there were all types there, it's great.

Hey GB, thank you for the kind words, I totally love what I am doing & where it's going, I have to add without the help & support on this forum it would have not been possible.

I am at the crossroads ATM as my journey has been productive but each road has a different sign;

* Keep doing what I am doing or start kegging & buy a Kegerator

* Go full AG

* BIAB 

The bottom line is being retired I can spend a lot of time on this forum &absorb all of the valuable information that is posted & learn from it, so I am grateful for that.

So thanks heaps fellow brewers & Cheers.

Phil

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Norris! said:

Get kegs. Bottling sucks.

Haha, but seriously, no need to do BIAB or AG or whatever unless you want to BUT we all want to drink what we make, so I vote for kegs before anything. 

Fair enough, that would always be my first choice, I don't have a problem with FV's/Airlocks etc so transfering  the grog into a keg sounds more appealing.

Freezing 🥶 cold night in Perth tonight so I’ve gone to the cupboard and pulled out a bottle of my coffee Stout. This stuff is black like sump oil can definitely taste more coffee now after a few months of development. Still no head retention as expected thanks to the chocolate added but very rich. Definitely a sipper but the alcohol is warming at 8% 🍷 Will brew again but without 🍫 

A517EC6E-71E0-4CD7-93C9-4570184AE12C.jpeg

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 9

Two weeks has passed and time to check the WoolagerAle Plus [Woolies lager kit 1.7kg + 250gm malto-dex + 250gm dextrose + Saunders malt extract 1kg] which has a calculated 3.7% abv.  A young cheeky drop which is mellow and not overpowering, slightly sweet, flavorsome like a nice mid-strength. Looking forward to a test again in a week and then at the four week period before giving a 'matured' assessment.  

Label Woolale Plus Bottle.jpg

• Like 10

10 hours ago, Barramullafella said:

Two weeks has passed and time to check the WoolagerAle Plus [Woolies lager kit 1.7kg + 250gm malto-dex + 250gm dextrose + Saunders malt extract 1kg] which has a calculated 3.7% abv.  A young cheeky drop which is mellow and not overpowering, slightly sweet, flavorsome like a nice mid-strength. Looking forward to a test again in a week and then at the four week period before giving a 'matured' assessment.  

Label Woolale Plus Bottle.jpg

You Sir are a true Brewer. You made a kit that is supposed to be horrible into something nice. Well done Mate. I was always too scared to use it but now....still too scared but I am still impressed.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

This is my first kit-based beer brewed in quite a while -  a Coopers Dark Ale can supplemented with with a good dose of Fuggles and  Styrian Goldings hops.  As my stocks were low after a recent house move I needed to have quick turn-around so a K&K fermented with Voss was the ideal solution.   This particular bottle was a bit of a carbonation-fail though - perhaps a dodgy seal on this one?  Still, it's a great tasting brew regardless and still despite the lack of CO2 it's still fizzier than a typical English cask ale!

DarkAleJune2021.jpg

• Like 10

11 hours ago, Barramullafella said:

Looking good @Barramullafella your beers are starting to look pretty good, I hope you continue with the Malt Extracts as it will always add that extra body & give you better head retention, they are my findings anyway, so Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/8/2021 at 1:39 AM, CLASSIC said:

Another Happy Customer

I had a mate around last night for a few beers & dinner as he is going in for major surgery on Thursday, thought I might cheer him up a bit, it worked he liked the beer (Belgian Lager) as you can see by the photos, he even wanted more after when I had served up the wine.

Best of luck to your mate Phil, always good to have someone to share a schooner or twain... 👍

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, stquinto said:

Best of luck to your mate Phil, always good to have someone to share a schooner or twain... 👍

Hey @stquinto thanks for that, I am taking him into the Hospital at 7.00am in the morning, he has to have steel rods replaced in his spine due to an industrial accident some years ago, it is very delicate & dangerous surgery & I feel for him as major surgery to your spinal cords at 61 years old can be very a tricky exercise. 

Time will tell so Cheers.

• Like 2

On 6/8/2021 at 9:39 AM, CLASSIC said:

Another Happy Customer

I had a mate around last night for a few beers & dinner as he is going in for major surgery on Thursday, thought I might cheer him up a bit, it worked he liked the beer (Belgian Lager) as you can see by the photos, he even wanted more after when I had served up the wine.

Hey Phil , i wish ya good mate all the best through His surgery and he pulls through with flying colours and i am sure he will after having a s pre op medicine from his good mate.

I am sure his good mate will have a post op medicine for when he gets out and is able to get out a bit more

• Like 2

Just now, ozdevil said:

Hey Phil , i wish ya good mate all the best through His surgery and he pulls through with flying colours and i am sure he will after having a s pre op medicine from his good mate.

I am sure his good mate will have a post op medicine for when he gets out and is able to get out a bit more

Thanks OD he has been through it 12 years ago but this time is more dangerous according to the experts.

Thank you all of you guys for your thoughts, I will pass it on.

Good old Aussie spirit usually gets us all through the tough things in life.

• Like 6

Carrying on with my “pre-prandial”, had a bottle of Capital Pils. Bit more amber coloured than I expected, and some funky tropical fruits coming off of it, and a strong underlying booze content (8.1 after all…) I was gonna make up my Coopers XPA after dinner, but age gives me wisdom and I think I’ll try the boil when I’m more sober 😱

AA8A56B4-DFED-49EE-8529-EE421CCD2C8A.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

I was sipping on a OS draught I bottled 8.5 weeks back and am amazed how the beer matures into a very nice drink over that period. So after a few of them I ran out so cracked the top off an OS real ale which is about 6.5 weeks old and again - a very nice drop. I feel cheated having not brewed with the latest ingredients [enhancers] for years and having to drink swill lol. Ah, better days ahead. 

Barramulla Brewery Coopers Draught 1.jpg

OS Real Ale 2105.jpg

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Barramullafella said:

I was sipping on a OS draught I bottled 8.5 weeks back and am amazed how the beer matures into a very nice drink over that period. So after a few of them I ran out so cracked the top off an OS real ale which is about 6.5 weeks old and again - a very nice drop. I feel cheated having not brewed with the latest ingredients [enhancers] for years and having to drink swill lol. Ah, better days ahead. 

I know what you mean I have re-visited some older brews recently, some go back to Jan/Feb - Draughts/Lagers/Bitters etc & the extra time really pays off especially if you have used the right ingredients. The Liquid Malt  addition in particular. Now they are great tasting beers with a lingering head.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

I know what you mean I have re-visited some older brews recently, some go back to Jan/Feb - Draughts/Lagers/Bitters etc & the extra time really pays off especially if you have used the right ingredients. The Liquid Malt  addition in particular. Now they are great tasting beers with a lingering head.

I have a dried malt beer sitting in bottles that will be taste tested in a week when it reaches 2 weeks in bottle. I had a kilo of it sitting there so used it. Next brew will be using wheat/barley Coopers LME to see what all the hype is about lol.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:
1 hour ago, Barramullafella said:

Next brew will be using wheat/barley Coopers LME to see what all the hype is about lol.

You will notice a hell of a difference, much more body, head, everything. It is better than any Pub beer.

Could not agree more Classic. Makes a huge difference in my opinion.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Barramullafella said:

Barramulla Brewery Coopers Draught 1.jpg

OS Real Ale 2105.jpg

Cool labels, Barra.
Your beers look great and will only get better as you develop your brewing skills further.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Cool labels, Barra.
Your beers look great and will only get better as you develop your brewing skills further.

Thanks Muzzy, and all. I will stick with the beer extracts and just add various bits & pieces for awhile as I am achieving some nice beers so far. The plan is to find a beer that I am very happy with and then modify the ingredients to see what changes take place. For example adding different hops or add more/less of an ingredient. When I get bored with that and sober up a bit, I may look further into things like kegs etc. 

• Like 1