Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2021?

Hairy

1 minute ago, stquinto said:

Yeah, I reckon I could start small. Get an old fridge for the cornies, stash it in the back of the garage ...

jump over to the below and there is all sorts of festive information.... 

On 1/4/2021 at 9:13 PM, Pale Man said:

New year new thread on everything kegging. 

Kegged two tonight. I'm getting the hang of this. 

All Grain Cascade Amarillo Ale, Gladfield Ale grain.

All Grain Joe White Wheat beer, Gladfield Ale 50/50. I think there was something else I'll have to check.

Anyway nice kegged beers. I've promised @Hoppy81 I won't drink them until he has a sesh. 

20210104_172053.jpg

20210104_191359.jpg

20210104_202837.jpg

• Like 1

Got half a dozen Cog Work bottles left over (bottled in December)

The second is Parity Ale (Shamus Version) 

Both bl**dy good, would be well happy to get in a pub. Although anything wet and cold from a pub would do: round here they’ve been shut since December

7835DCC6-6747-4148-A137-382FCAFD3470.jpeg

F388E6A6-B603-43D2-BB50-C214370955A6.jpeg

• Like 9

Did not get around to posting this festivity from a littler earlier in April when I had a few punters in for a Graubartigebräu Brewery Tour haha.... all up 9 beers on tap... 8 in the Freezer and one skulking in the brewfridge temped down to chill and pour... this was the laaarvely Hefeweizen - think I need to brew this again - the Lallemand Munich was good:

The photo is a bit mmm but was taken kindly by the very patient lovely designated driver so no complaints ; )

image.thumb.png.d8e1834423bb7e527dbcacaaf164cef9.png

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Graubart said:

Did not get around to posting this festivity from a littler earlier in April when I had a few punters in for a Graubartigebräu Brewery Tour haha.... all up 9 beers on tap... 8 in the Freezer and one skulking in the brewfridge temped down to chill and pour... this was the laaarvely Hefeweizen - think I need to brew this again - the Lallemand Munich was good:

The photo is a bit mmm but was taken kindly by the very patient lovely designated driver so no complaints ; )

Lets all guess & see if we can pick out @Graubart there are 4 hands holding glasses in the photo, I am going to guess & say the right - the guy with the check shirt.

OK your turn, who is going to be right ? 

Either way it is nice to see guys having a drink together especially if it is homemade.

Cheers to all.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Lets all guess & see if we can pick out @Graubart there are 4 hands holding glasses in the photo, I am going to guess & say the right - the guy with the check shirt.

Either way it is nice to see guys having a drink together especially if it is homemade.

Cheers to all.

2nd in from the left 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Graubart said:

Hey @GraubartBB do you cold crash your Hefeweizen or just leave it cloudy?

34 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Cheers to all.

Black sleeve on right.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

GB do you know or is that an educated guess, just wondering that's all. Cheers.

Haha the ol' Classic is the Winner... astute observation there @CLASSIC Phil...  well done ; )  🥳

Commiserations to @Barramullafella Barra,  @Red devil 44 Red and @Green Blob Blobski who were at a distinct disadvantage as @CLASSIC Phil had got in first maybe? 🤣

Sadly you cannot see my glass - but the lovely lady who was Desi Driver (and enjoyed my Orange Pekoe Leaf Tea on Rainwater) was not to be complained about as she was sooo patient and fun to be with even tho not even liking beer (maybe that was good so it was less painful to sit watching others drink the brew)... I think she did try the Nitro Rye and suggested that if she had to drink beer she would be happy to imbibe such a drop ; )  Think she would have been happier with the lovely house white - Schulz Vignerons 2016 Barossa Semillon - but Sydney was way too many hours and mile upon mile of shittttt traffic away... 

And @kmar92 hey KMar no HW CC for me - from memory I decanted straight out of the SS FV at Ferment Temp 18-20 into the sterilised SS Corny Keg with a half a cup of sugar as per our dear old mate @PB2 PB2's instructions.

Was happy for the yeast in suspension to go through - and harvested the slurry from bottom of FV for later use into sterile jar. 

I probs will stick to doing natural in-keg-carb with beers only meant to be laden with yeast...  otherwise happy to ColdCrash and reduce the yeast load coming over into the keg.

HTH

Cheers ye festive Brewers

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@Graubart BB thanks. Been doing some research and seems that everyone has a different view but I have decided that I will do a CC on the HW and see how that goes. I guess that the worst case is that I will end up with a Kristall Weissbier, but some say that it will still have the hazy HW character after a CC.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

Lets all guess & see if we can pick out @Graubart there are 4 hands holding glasses in the photo,

It would not be the second from the right.  Holding the glass like it is a hand grenade.  My guess (made before I scrolled down, in case the answer was there, which I now see it is) is second from the left.

Edited by Shamus O'Sean
Late to the game
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, kmar92 said:

@Graubart BB thanks. Been doing some research and seems that everyone has a different view but I have decided that I will do a CC on the HW and see how that goes. I guess that the worst case is that I will end up with a Kristall Weissbier, but some say that it will still have the hazy HW character after a CC.

I have done three Hefe Weissens in recent times.  A Hoegaarden clone which I did not cold crash, a Munich Classic fermented and a WB-06 fermented both of which were cold crashed.  All three were kegged. 

Having done these beers, I would recommend cold crashing and then bottling instead.  Cold crash because the Hoegaarden clone was like pale pea soup in the lower half of the fermenter.  I transfer via gravity in narrow tubing.  It took at least twice as long to transfer as usual due to the density of the beer.  The two that were cold crashed transferred like usual.  Still plenty cloudy, but not soup like.

The Hoegaarden is now finished, but I am only halfway through the other two.  I suggest bottling because we noticed that the Hoegaarden seemed to loose flavour and impact as it got closer to empty.  My brother described it as tasting lighter.  We put that down to the wheat and yeast settling out in the keg.  The other two have not lost flavour, but they have began to get clearer.  I reckon, with bottling, you will get a more consistent brew from first to last bottle.  You can give each bottle a swirl to your taste and haziness preference.

Interestingly, I am also more than halfway through a Bright Idea Hazy XPA and it has remained consistently hazy.  It has 250g of Carahell and 250g of Golden Naked Oats and fermented with Verdant IPA yeast.  The oats are probably the main contributor to haziness.  Maybe some oats in a Hefe Weissen is in order.

• Like 2

On 5/13/2021 at 8:39 AM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Interestingly, I am also more than halfway through a Bright Idea Hazy XPA and it has remained consistently hazy.  It has 250g of Carahell and 250g of Golden Naked Oats and fermented with Verdant IPA yeast.  The oats are probably the main contributor to haziness.  Maybe some oats in a Hefe Weissen is in order.

Hey Shamus good stuff.

I think Verdant might like hanging around suspended in solution as well.

Oats might be a nice addition - but I think w good yeast the Barley-Wheat blend works.... tho am thinking about throwing in some Rye too at some stage ; )  I suspect that the @Green Blob Blobski King of Rye might approve ?

I leave my HWs sit in FV for a while so some floccing does go on - and never had any transfer probs.

And my HWs have always been well cloudy... well so far 🤔

I think that bottling HWs does provide some advantages and @Greeny1525229549 and @Hairy may have noted that I think in the past... 

I think my kegged HW also last time benefited from being naturally carbed in the keg - like one big bottle - I did not do CO2 pressurizing - just only added CO2 during pouring.

Hope that contributes something useful to this festive discussion...   ; )

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Probs really should keep this Easy Drinkin' Lager for visitors as is only 5% ABV but got a bit done today that needed doin' so thought I deserved a nice AG Lager

(with Dubbya 34 @MitchBastard of course) haha! 🥳

Cheers Brewers one and all and have a great weekend!👍

image.thumb.png.7ff7b2c4949f65eb780138b00171e6b0.png

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Looks Good Graubster, any Yabbies or Trout in the Dam ? 

Haha @CLASSIC Phil you are the Master Foodie without a doubt haha!  Mate suspect yabbies - but am just not into them anymore... maybe too much of it as a kid... and then living in Central Q for a good while and dining on saltwater crustaceans and reef fish and associated pelagics I just canna get fired up about the old yabbster anymore... 

Spanish Mackerel comes to mind as a nice fish... but then again Trout from clean fresh water is a beautiful thing so I probably should not be so SALTY 🏴‍☠️

Terrible res on the pic below but was easy to find and take a photo of the hard copy haha...  such a nice eating big angry fish the ol' Spanish : )

Wow and look at that water... glassy on the old Briny... not that often... a beautiful thing 😃

image.thumb.png.983147693b5e13efd08c995789f4a638.png

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 1