Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2021?

Hairy

9 minutes ago, Green Blob said:

Need to test two a day.

Looks great. Beautiful amber colour suits an IPA well.

🤣

Thank you, I got the colour I was shooting for! When I think of an IPA, that colour is what comes to mind. Good bitterness and a whack or aroma from C hops. I usually use cascade, Centential and citra in this pale ale recipe but went with azacca over cascade and now I am kind of missing it 🤷‍♂️.

Yes, beer time.

Flanders Red. Dry as a ... you know...
14 ibu, beautifully sour, farmy, little grass/ hay perhaps. No blankets but that is okay. Oh, a little astringent too.

Well over 7%

PXL_20210511_065456257.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.24fcc59e26730c44a64178d1fd79ccac.jpg

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Green Blob said:

Yes, beer time.

Flanders Red. Dry as a ... you know...
14 ibu, beautifully sour, farmy, little grass/ hay perhaps. No blankets but that is okay. Oh, a little astringent too.

Well over 7%

PXL_20210511_065456257.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.24fcc59e26730c44a64178d1fd79ccac.jpg

Lovely colour GB, you guys are making me envious with your damn fine looking beers & the flexibility & knowledge to do so.

I just had a few commercial beers but I thought I would have another crack at the Mangrove Jack's Classic Bitter, I know it sounds obvious but this tastes a whole lot better.

I am thinking if I can get it like this with K&K how good would it be if I was doing AG ! I am actually starting to move into that direction but undecided whether the kegging system is worth doing first, I have to consider the extra room & $$$ it will set me back. 

Anyway Cheers to all.

20210511_164133 (2).jpg

• Like 6

1 minute ago, CLASSIC said:

the flexibility & knowledge to do so

Thanks, and I love it, love learning stuff tht I love - you know?

1 minute ago, CLASSIC said:

I am actually starting to move into that direction but undecided whether the kegging system is worth doing first,

Maaaate, kegs are so good.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Green Blob said:

Thanks, and I love it, love learning stuff tht I love - you know?

Maaaate, kegs are so good.

Yep I am punching out so much beer lately, I have 4 Fermenters & it is a lot of work preparing bottles & actual bottling so it is absolutely going to be a whole new world if I can start the process.

• Like 3

IMG_7666.thumb.jpg.3908804524ccf4eaa8d46de325ceb9b2.jpg

actually not sure what this one is, but it's the first cold beer out of my keg setup 🍻

not only did i manage to score a 2 keg setup, and fridge all setup ready to go, one of the kegs was still at least a third full. it'll be a fresh wort kit of some description most likely... and going down alright too

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Stickers said:

IMG_7666.thumb.jpg.3908804524ccf4eaa8d46de325ceb9b2.jpg

actually not sure what this one is, but it's the first cold beer out of my keg setup 🍻

not only did i manage to score a 2 keg setup, and fridge all setup ready to go, one of the kegs was still at least a third full. it'll be a fresh wort kit of some description most likely... and going down alright too

Wow how good is that, Free beer as well, looks alright too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Norris! said:

Drinking the Comp IPA I made. It still needs a few days to mature with the high alcohol content, 6.6%, but I am getting good aroma and flavour but the malt still needs to meld in some to get it where I want it.

Yummmmmm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Yummmmmm

Howdy Graubster, I take it you like your beverage with a higher ABV than the norm, what am I talking about, I have seen your epic photos of the beautiful masterpieces you present.

What I mean it looks like a bloody good drop.

Cheers Grey Bearded One.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Green Blob said:

Kegs then.

I'd go for that myself - the bottle cleaning and sterilising is a pain in the a*se after a while.

What holds me back (as well as the cost) is how long a keg lasts for, and especially after it has been opened ?

I'm the only one drinking in the house (although I caught my 15 year old nicking bottles the other day, but he doesn't count - yet)

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, stquinto said:

I'd go for that myself - the bottle cleaning and sterilising is a pain in the a*se after a while.

What holds me back (as well as the cost) is how long a keg lasts for, and especially after it has been opened ?

I'm the only one drinking in the house (although I caught my 15 year old nicking bottles the other day, but he doesn't count - yet)

Kegs will last for as long as you leave them. Hop aroma will diminish over time but that's about it. A keg is roughly two cartons so ask yourself how long it takes you to finish two cartons worth and then go from there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, stquinto said:

Truly Spoken The Saint @stquinto

And that is what troubled me to begin with.

But one really must look at a keg as one beautiful big bottle.... as you draw beer out, you keep adding CO2 and all just stays sealed.

[Well that is obviously when things are working properly - which normally they do - but you need to have all your kegs and lines sealing well... but that is just de rigueur for the kegging game... and swags of festive brewers on this site manage to do it... and the commercial producers as well]

If you draw, a few beers off and then let sit under pressure for a while - you may want to purge the liquid line - half a glass - but even that is most often quite drinkable anyway. 

I brewed 9 kegs over Lent from Ash Wednesday (and before) through to Easter Sunday... and then only after the 46 days did I supp upon the brew.   And am still enjoying the Hibiscus Pilsner which was kegged end of January. 

Some of the beers like Pilsner/Lagery things benefit from a rest and think.  Stouts as well.

But as the wise @Lettucegrove Lettuce prudently points out... the kegs do suffer from Hop Fade... but methinks that does happen in the bottle as well. 

So IPAs with fruity hoppage may be better drunk sooner... but honestly I reckon that bottles are same.  And that goes for Hefeweizen as well.

And no it does not matter if you crack keg and then do not use... you like me are thinking of the old commercial kegs I suspect which were troublesome once opened.

The Corney Keg thing really seems to be a re-sealable bottle that you keep injecting CO2 into (or Nitro Beergas mix for Guinness like beverages) and they are cold and stable...

Anyway... there are a few thoughts... suspect there are many better qualified keggers like @Red devil 44 and @Green Blob Blobski who can assist...

But in essence, if all is sealing, and especially if kept cold, then really no difference to a bottle... just a large SS one... 

HTH

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Lettucegrove and @Graubart , right, you've convinced me. How about convincing SWMBO 😂😭  ?

Seriously, well worth a thought. And there are plenty of recipes that age quite nicely. I've got a Coopers Celebration '20 bottled just before Christmas and it develops into a different brew over time. Though I reckon that's more of a bottle-brew. Anything over 6% on draft might be asking for trouble... 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, stquinto said:

@Lettucegrove and @Graubart , right, you've convinced me. How about convincing SWMBO 😂😭  ?

Seriously, well worth a thought. And there are plenty of recipes that age quite nicely. I've got a Coopers Celebration '20 bottled just before Christmas and it develops into a different brew over time. Though I reckon that's more of a bottle-brew. Anything over 6% on draft might be asking for trouble... 

I sorta reckon that it comes down to practicality... @Red devil 44 Red has been doing great KnKs in kegs for a long time... but hahaha Red is a bllllardy Gas Fitter Keg Lord...  and also very helpful.. there is a 'it's kegging time' thread that has lots of good information on it...

I just started with one 18L Corny and a liquid disconnect, line, pluto gun... and then a CO2 bottle gas line and gas disconnect... and went from there.

I think the only thing that you need to realise is that you need somewhere to put your Corny or Cornies to keep them cold.

Over there mate... you could probs just put it out on your verandah in the winter?  Mmmm not so much in the summer tho hey... 

But yeah I quickly realised that I was competing between my brew fridge - for FV cooling to 18 deg  - and the same fridge - if I wanted to keep keg cold to 3 deg... so had to have two chillers...

Hope that makes sense.

But the Myth that Kegs don't keep once opened is nonnnnnsense.  Old spear kegs from years ago yeah. But not these nice sealing modern Cornies.

Anyway... hope that helps a bit Cobber

• Thanks 1

I just started with one 18L Corny and a liquid disconnect, line, pluto gun... and then a CO2 bottle gas line and gas disconnect... and went from there.

I think the only thing that you need to realise is that you need somewhere to put your Corny or Cornies to keep them cold.

Yeah, I reckon I could start small. Get an old fridge for the cornies, stash it in the back of the garage ...

• Like 2