Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2021?

Hairy

1 minute ago, RDT2 said:

I normally ferment it at 22 with no problems I normally use it for my stouts and porters latest stout starts at 1073 and smashed through it, it was the harvested yeast cake though from a 1055 oat meal stout.

I am just a Yeast sprinkler at this stage, don't really like the look of some of the photos Iv'e seen of the stored yeasts etc but I am probably terribly wrong.

Maybe one day I will give it a go.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

I am just a Yeast sprinkler at this stage, don't really like the look of some of the photos Iv'e seen of the stored yeasts etc but I am probably terribly wrong.

You should mate. It's the easiest way to save money on a batch. I.e you have to buy malt, hops and even the water. You don't need to buy yeast everytime.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

I’ve never had a drama using it from scratch either I just sprinkle it as well from around 1055 keeping it at 22 and I just harvested that one from 1073 because it was a higher gravity just had an oatmeal stout as my starter😋

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

You should mate. It's the easiest way to save money on a batch. I.e you have to buy malt, hops and even the water. You don't need to buy yeast everytime.

OK I will need to follow this through & get around the basics as this is something I know nothing about. Thanks for your input.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

OK I will need to follow this through & get around the basics as this is something I know nothing about. Thanks for your input.

Well you have a few options mate.

1. Make starters. There is a good topic from @Otto Von Blotto on here. His procedures are good.

2. Use slurry from a previous batch. I do this a lot for lagers but not much for ales as the consistency of the batch is not there for me but many many  people do it with success.

3. Use some of the fermentables of the batch to make your starter and pitch the lot into the main batch. I have used this a few times and it gives some consistency to ales. You can use clean coke bottles or water bottles.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Well you have a few options mate.

1. Make starters. There is a good topic from @Otto Von Blotto on here. His procedures are good.

2. Use slurry from a previous batch. I do this a lot for lagers but not much for ales as the consistency of the batch is not there for me but many many  people do it with success.

3. Use some of the fermentables of the batch to make your starter and pitch the lot into the main batch. I have used this a few times and it gives some consistency to ales. You can use clean coke bottles or water bottles.

Hey Greeny,  thanks for that sounds like something I could do, so I appreciate it. Cheers.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

Maybe one day I will give it a go

Lots of good info on the “yeast thread 2021” on how to repitch yeast Phil, if you’re keen to try it. The aforementioned “brew guns” showed me the light and I haven’t looked back since. It’s easy as, saves you $5 a brew and gives a great result. Win win

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tone boy said:

Lots of good info on the “yeast thread 2021” on how to repitch yeast Phil, if you’re keen to try it. The aforementioned “brew guns” showed me the light and I haven’t looked back since. It’s easy as, saves you $5 a brew and gives a great result. Win win

Alright I think I am convinced I need to try this, otherwise I could be missing out on something.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Green Blob said:

Do it.

OK, this looks easy as, I will start with this. I will doing my Stout today & was going to try this method. I suppose this would be in agreeance or does anyone have any comments.

Cheers Phil

The most consistent method to ensure your dry yeast is at its peak and ready for fermentation is by correctly rehydrating your yeast. Follow these next steps for effective rehydration…

YEAST REHYDRATION
STEP 1
PREPARE 250ml OF BOILED WATER INTO A CLEAN SANITISED JAR.
STEP 2
COVER OPENING OF JAR WITH CLING WRAP AND LEAVE TO COOL TO 35-40°C.
STEP 3
SANITISE THE OUTSIDE OF YOUR DRY YEAST PACKET. OPEN AND SPRINKLE INTO YOUR PRE-PREPARED WATER. GIVE THE JAR A LIGHT SWIRL.
STEP 4
LEAVE FOR 15 MINUTES IN A WARM AREA OUT OF DIRECT SUNLIGHT.
STEP 5
AFTER 15 MINUTES GIVE THE JAR A GOOD SWIRL AND ADD A SMALL AMOUNT OF YOUR WORT (~10-15 ml) INTO THE JAR.
STEP 6
LEAVE FOR A FURTHER 15-20 MINUTES. AFTER THIS TIME, YOUR YEAST SHOULD BE VISIBLY ACTIVE.
STEP 7
AT THIS POINT, PITCH THE ENTIRE VOLUME OF YEAST SLURRY INTO YOUR FERMENTER

10 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

OK, this looks easy as, I will start with this. I will doing my Stout today & was going to try this method. I suppose this would be in agreeance or does anyone have any comments.

Cheers Phil

The most consistent method to ensure your dry yeast is at its peak and ready for fermentation is by correctly rehydrating your yeast. Follow these next steps for effective rehydration…

YEAST REHYDRATION
STEP 1
PREPARE 250ml OF BOILED WATER INTO A CLEAN SANITISED JAR.
STEP 2
COVER OPENING OF JAR WITH CLING WRAP AND LEAVE TO COOL TO 35-40°C.
STEP 3
SANITISE THE OUTSIDE OF YOUR DRY YEAST PACKET. OPEN AND SPRINKLE INTO YOUR PRE-PREPARED WATER. GIVE THE JAR A LIGHT SWIRL.
STEP 4
LEAVE FOR 15 MINUTES IN A WARM AREA OUT OF DIRECT SUNLIGHT.
STEP 5
AFTER 15 MINUTES GIVE THE JAR A GOOD SWIRL AND ADD A SMALL AMOUNT OF YOUR WORT (~10-15 ml) INTO THE JAR.
STEP 6
LEAVE FOR A FURTHER 15-20 MINUTES. AFTER THIS TIME, YOUR YEAST SHOULD BE VISIBLY ACTIVE.
STEP 7
AT THIS POINT, PITCH THE ENTIRE VOLUME OF YEAST SLURRY INTO YOUR FERMENTER

The one thing I don't like about pitching activated yeast is the time it is exposed to the elements getting the thing ready for pitching and pitching. The 'open packet and sprinkle' method takes a few seconds with the FV top removed, a stir [or not] with long handled spoon and lid closed. Less time and safer IMHO.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Barramullafella said:

The one thing I don't like about pitching activated yeast is the time it is exposed to the elements getting the thing ready for pitching and pitching. The 'open packet and sprinkle' method takes a few seconds with the FV top removed, a stir [or not] with long handled spoon and lid closed. Less time and safer IMHO.

Well that's what I am doing currently, however with the right sanitation & care this method should be fine. Cheers.

• Like 2

On 4/10/2021 at 6:59 PM, CLASSIC said:

Hey Greeny,  thanks for that sounds like something I could do, so I appreciate it. Cheers.

Mate @CLASSIC Phil you are in the hands of the Yeast King @Greeny1525229549 Greeny and mate if you follow his sound suggestions you will be on the money deffo... Greeny has helped me with a few curly ones in the past and they all came good : )

• Like 1

Had a few norty mates over on the weekend to sample the Magnificent Seven (with stretch target to the full 9 on tap) ... we did get to eight and the city slickers had to head (the designated driver had been kind to let time run over by an extra 1.7 hours so there was no definitely whining from any participants) and one of the two fellas that remained fell asleep and me and t'tother mate found the Schnappsy Rumbly Bumbly thing and I clean forgot there was a ninth brew on offer so it was all a bit troublesome 🤪 I sadly did not get a reasonable set of beer photos for all  eight that were conquered - but this one taken early shows the beauty and splendour of the Rye on Nitro that seemed to be a bit of a hit... nice Beer (shout out to @Green Blob Blobski for Rye inspiration) and note that super smooth cream utilising the Guinness Gas 🥳

image.thumb.png.7b2e11b4bd3689d3308a50ebbf18c55d.png

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Graubart said:

Had a few norty mates over on the weekend to sample the Magnificent Seven (with stretch target to the full 9 on tap) ... we did get to eight and the city slickers had to head (the designated driver had been kind to let time run over by an extra 1.7 hours so there was no definitely whining from any participants) and one of the two fellas that remained fell asleep and me and t'tother mate found the Schnappsy Rumbly Bumbly thing and I clean forgot there was a ninth brew on offer so it was all a bit troublesome 🤪 I sadly did not get a reasonable set of beer photos for all  eight that were conquered - but this one taken early shows the beauty and splendour of the Rye on Nitro that seemed to be a bit of a hit... nice Beer (shout out to @Green Blob Blobski for Rye inspiration) and note that super smooth cream utilising the Guinness Gas 🥳

image.thumb.png.7b2e11b4bd3689d3308a50ebbf18c55d.png

Looks nice mate love nitro and I tried a Red Rye IPA last night at the local pub with dinner was very nice, another beer to make🙄🤣

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, RDT2 said:

Looks nice mate love nitro and I tried a Red Rye IPA last night at the local pub with dinner was very nice, another beer to make🙄🤣

Cheers and truly spoken RD - has been a bit of a journey as it can easily be made into icecream.... mmm.... think I am getting there with the slightly more tricky Nitro thing.

And yes mate - great call -  I will be heading towards a Red Rye IPA myself as I am now the proud owner of a 25kg Bag of Voyager Rye... so the ol' Rye will be a bit more common in brews ahead - and although I think this beer is really very nice - but I would like to up the Rye amount in the malt bill in the future and a bit more of a Red colour would not go astray... bit more Roasted Barley... that said - some of the visitors seemed to think this was their number one...  tho one festive fella who is just a nice bloke to have around and is tough as nails haha he seemed to think every new beer he was getting was the best..   it's nice to pour good beer for people who understand that good HB can be the absolute biz - like festive Phil @CLASSIC coming back home after the pub and opening his own and going... mmm... that is actually way nicer than the commercial stuff I just had.  There seems in general to be a jaundiced view of HB out there - and I guess there are some awful beers being produced... but those who put in some effort and can cop a few duds on the way through in the beginning.... whether KnK All Grain or Partials... can make amazeballs (thanks @Norris! for the expression) beer that is red hot ; )

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Mate @CLASSIC Phil you are in the hands of the Yeast King @Greeny1525229549 Greeny and mate if you follow his sound suggestions you will be on the money deffo... Greeny has helped me with a few curly ones in the past and they all came good : )

OK Graubster, Cheers for that, I am taking it all on board. Cheers.

• Like 1

1 week in the keg The Agent Orange brew is tasty. 

I am getting some awesome aromas that I wasn't expecting. I wanted orange and I am getting candied orange, juicy tropical fruit and that aroma of when you first open up a piece of grape bubblicious bubble gum and bite into it, that taste and aroma you get from that. Weird but really cool. The aroma is balanced by a slight pineyness and some floral notes.

The flavour doesn't quite follow the nose as it is fairly bitter but it balances it from being a sweet bomb, 38-42 IBU is my guess from the recipe.  Good breadiness from the malt which helps with the body and mouthfeel. It is definitely full bodied and bready. The bitterness does linger on the broad part of the tongue. 3/5 because it is slightly more bitter than expected but a very good beer for being so basic. I think that is due to maris otter being so full bodied which rounds the beer out.

I can see how mixing just pale malt and some Munich would get the flavour same as maris otter. For the price of maris otter I would maybe just use Barrett Burston ale malt with munich but the efficiency did increase by 3% and the flow through the grain bed was good but the cost is pretty high but worth it if you are chasing those qualities, I am happy with my efficiency and only had 1 kind of stuck mash, it was draining just slower than normal due to alot of wheat, 40%. This malt has really good flavour, only 500g of wheat and some acid malt added to it so I can see why people use it. But it is $17.50 more expensive then Barret Burston for a 25kg sack. I am going to keep using BB after this sack but totally see the qualities of this malt. 

20210412_161736.jpg

• Like 8

29 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Cheers and truly spoken RD - has been a bit of a journey as it can easily be made into icecream.... mmm.... think I am getting there with the slightly more tricky Nitro thing.

And yes mate - great call -  I will be heading towards a Red Rye IPA myself as I am now the proud owner of a 25kg Bag of Voyager Rye... so the ol' Rye will be a bit more common in brews ahead - and although I think this beer is really very nice - but I would like to up the Rye amount in the malt bill in the future and a bit more of a Red colour would not go astray... bit more Roasted Barley... that said - some of the visitors seemed to think this was their number one...  tho one festive fella who is just a nice bloke to have around and is tough as nails haha he seemed to think every new beer he was getting was the best..   it's nice to pour good beer for people who understand that good HB can be the absolute biz - like festive Phil @CLASSIC coming back home after the pub and opening his own and going... mmm... that is actually way nicer than the commercial stuff I just had.  There seems in general to be a jaundiced view of HB out there - and I guess there are some awful beers being produced... but those who put in some effort and can cop a few duds on the way through in the beginning.... whether KnK All Grain or Partials... can make amazeballs (thanks @Norris! for the expression) beer that is red hot ; )

it's nice to pour good beer for people who understand that good HB can be the absolute biz - like festive Phil @CLASSIC coming back home after the pub and opening his own and going... mmm... that is actually way nicer than the commercial stuff I just had.  There seems in general to be a jaundiced view of HB out there - and I guess there are some awful beers being produced... but those who put in some effort and can cop a few duds on the way through in the beginning.... whether KnK All Grain or Partials... can make amazeballs (thanks @Norris! for the expression) beer that is red hot ; )

Well said @Graubart concur, just had another mate around who is coming back later, I had to warn him about the difference in the ABV than he would get at the Pub, we had a tasting, he seems to think it's all OK but I wouldn't have to tell you guys how much it can have on you if you are driving. 🙃

• Like 3