Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2021?

Hairy

1 hour ago, CLASSIC said:

Any of you pundits have an accurate method of determining the ABV on a freshly bottled brew ?

I did Mangrove Jack's Classic Bitter to 23l

BE 1

LDME x 250gm

Supplied yeast x 5gm

The SG was 1040    FG 1016

Yield was

13 x Coopers Longnecks 750ml

14 x Grolsch bottles 450ml

9 x PET bottles 

Total Volume 22.65litres.

I split the mix with either 1 x full measured scoop of white sugar, & 2 x carb drops in the other half.

Cheers

I get a mid strength @CLASSIC  

(1.040 - 1.016) x 131.25 = 3.15 (plus sugar for carbonation approx 0.5) = total 3.65 ABV

34 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Well this is interesting as the kit ( pictured ) clearly states Target ABV 4.4% & I added 250gms LDME ). So I don't know how you came up with that figure ? 🤔

20210405_165642.jpg

20210405_165654.jpg

Well that would be the ABV if it finished at 1.006 as stated on the pack instead of 1.016 which is where yours finished. 
1.040-1.006x131.25=4.46% ABV

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/4/2021 at 7:14 PM, Red devil 44 said:

My OG was 1035, so it came out at 4% ABV, as I reduced the ingredients.

Pic below 

C3663226-AF09-413F-BEF2-AE6BB82AB69F.jpeg

Fascinating. Mango and Passionfruit juice concentrates in the mix. I wonder if that's the first honesty we get from breweries about their hazy IPA's. 

Next we'll be seeing chocolate porter brew kits with ice magic and coco-pops in the ingredients.

What did you add to the kit?

Edited by alilley
  • Haha 1

I was a bit worried it might be a gusher, so I poured a 75cl bottle into a 3l glass - not far wrong..... a Belgian Dubbel, with dark malt extract as a fermentable. Good way to finish the  Easter holiday, might not be firing on all cylinders tomorrow, but there you go

64DCDD2F-20C2-4278-BFCC-EE977A6EDF84.jpeg

• Like 4

On 4/4/2021 at 4:22 PM, Red devil 44 said:

Nice Juicy Session IPA on Easter Sunday, nice drop this. 

55C5AB98-A23D-4F22-94D0-19E482172E67.jpeg

I made that a few weeks ago and have rather enjoyed it. Cant beat value for money with those MJ packs. Kegs almost done now though.

Currently have the Coopers Hazy IPA in the FV, but I just changed a couple hops for what was in the freezer - Galaxy, Strata, Amarillo. 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Yep @CLASSIC Phil mate - captured it in one - they just don't get it... 

How are you going @Graubart  still enjoying a few curly ones, I ma keeping the tradition going, bottled 23litres of Bitter yesterday, put down a Mr Beer Northwest Pale Ale & tomorrow a big t WITH the Wheat Malt Extract, but still deciding whether I should use Safale s-04 & the kit yeast or just one of them. 🤔 Cheers, Graubster.

• Like 3

Couple sneaky constitution improvers after a cuppla torrid days... lovely creamy Amber Ale right and the Penitentiary high octane Pilsner left of picture providing a bit of a spark-up to the steady afternoon ; )

image.thumb.png.f6f6005d559898aeb7e85c7769b2b0a5.png

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Couple sneaky constitution improvers after a cuppla torrid days... lovely creamy Amber Ale right and the Penitentiary high octane Pilsner left of picture providing a bit of a spark-up to the steady afternoon ; )

image.thumb.png.f6f6005d559898aeb7e85c7769b2b0a5.png

Looks awesome mate, are they Pepper & Salt shakers or is that some sneaky narcotize ? 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Looks awesome mate, are they Pepper & Salt shakers or is that some sneaky narcotize ? 🤔

Haha no they are old ceramic insulators off an overland telephone line...

• Haha 1

Drinking my 150 lashes style beer which I named 250 lashes cause it’s tastes better. It’s bittered with Columbus and Amarillo late with a dry hop of good ol Nelson. Was a bit disappointed with the Amarillo when I cracked the bag as it was a 2018 crop selected by a staff member during the COVID lock down and I have since been into the fridge at the shop and found they have 2019 crop. But it still tasted awesome after 2 months in the bottle. It’s a nice balanced beer with a nice hop aroma can’t wait to make it again with the fresher hops 😋 I love this glass as well bought it in America so brings back memories.

4B014E86-53B0-4FAD-BDC0-F0BA3EF08149.jpeg

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

@RDT2 looks good I suspect a similar thing has happened with the citra I purchased. Must be older stock I've heard how great it was for flavour only to be disappointed in the punch from it.

The beer still tastes awesome but it would be interesting to see what it would be like with fresher Amarillo. It just pays to go to the rear of the shelf to find the newest crop. I tried Citra quite some time ago it was awesome but then I put it in another beer lately and wasn’t as good as I remembered so again it could of been a bit older but now I check it before I buy. I wanted to try warrior but that seemed to be older stock as well so I went for Columbus again as it was fresher and worked well as my main bittering hop. Must be just some hops move quicker than others in saying that I would of thought Amarillo would be popular. The best hops I ever got for freshness was from grain and grape  vic secret wow they were beautiful green and fresh which surprised  me because they came from over east in the mail.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

He is trying to start a new trend with plastic glasses from Coles, this is not going to do the glass manufacturers/retailers any good. 

They do have nice lacing & hold a head well.

Cheap too !! 🤣

This whole plastic glass thing is doing my head in 🤪  They're plastic cups!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2