Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - What Are You Drinking in 2021?

Hairy

On 3/29/2021 at 10:05 PM, MitchBastard said:

Hahaha I don’t think even the events of the weekend would hold back the slight eye roll I get at the news of new brewing stuff on its way in the mail. 

there is a recipe floating around somewhere....I actually came across it in the thread the other day.  @Shamus O'Sean gave it a crack a while back.

This looks like the one? Probably should be renamed to "Mitch's Award Winning Aussie Lager" tho hey!?! 🥳

image.thumb.png.acadec8a094bb790dd6c4b85bbf9ba93.png

• Like 2

@Graubart hey mate, that looks like @Shamus O'Sean take on it. Pretty similar.

I’ll do

3.8kg pale malt

.2 carapils

.3dextrose at 10m

POR at 60 & 30 reaching an ibu of 18

EKG @10 to get you to 27ibu. 

2L s189 starter fermenting at 16.5

water profile and pH are important. You’d want an end of boil pH around 5.1 and a water profile that will accentuate some dryness. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, MitchBastard said:

water profile and pH are important. You’d want an end of boil pH around 5.1 and a water profile that will accentuate some dryness. 

Thanks mate!

So are you adding gypsum or CaCl2?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pickles Jones said:

I agree. I started to drink my Woolager this week.

I really didn't expect much but I was pleasantly surprised,  not a bad drop.

Can of Woolworths Lager plus BE3, 200GRMS of Dextrose into Grolsch Swing Tops with 2 Carb Drops. Lagered for 10 weeks.

Great carbonation and refreshing crisp/bite finish.

I'll certainly brew it again.

Proper lager yeast with tin?

Just now, Norris! said:

It was a horrible Dad joke playing off the name white claw and using your avatar, teen wolf, to come up with wolf's paw.

I will be here all week. Show starts at 7.

Ha ha. I will leave at 6:30.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Hairy said:

Raspberry Seltzer. Mrs Hairy likes it.

3B2C82FA-9D36-4C57-BA55-E007CD3B70B4.thumb.jpeg.ff6ca5152550c521a52e61cb0b3ed1f1.jpeg

Looks very refreshing. My seltzer career got shot down before it even started. Told my daughter I'd make her some. I can't remember what she said to me exactly but it felt like, "I wouldn't drink any sh1t you make." 😁😁

• Haha 2
  • Sad 2

17 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Looks very refreshing. My seltzer career got shot down before it even started. Told my daughter I'd make her some. I can't remember what she said to me exactly but it felt like, "I wouldn't drink any sh1t you make." 😁😁

Sent to her room I hope🤣

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Graubart said:

image.thumb.png.ec8b175c90103399a66fe4d2e7c128f4.png

Wotchadringkin'?

Nope not flat Amber Ale or Barley Wine... just plain old Orange Pekoe black tea... looking forward to Easter Sunday Arvo!

Struth Herr Graubster, for a moment there I thought - he's forgotten everything, too long away from the precious amber fluid, but at least we know it's all good.

Have a good Easter Grey Bearded One & enjoy your first slurp. Cheers.

old-man-being-drunk-vector-art-illustration-free-clipart-man-drinking-beer-366_612.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, John E Miller said:

Beet kvass. A probiotic beverage of fermented beetroot - slightly salty, sweet, earthy, tangy. They call it 'blood of the earth'. 

First time I had it I found it a bit gnarly, but I am really enjoying it now. 

20210401_180901.jpg

Hey John, that looks interesting, they reckon the best thing you could ever do for your health is drink beetroot juice. I am thinking it is alcoholic lol.

Did you make it ?

I think I just found my answer, I am seriously interested in this due to the health benefits & I love beetroot. 

Is Beet Kvass Alcoholic?

Lacto fermented drinks often contain small amounts of alcohol and beet kvass is no exception. The fermentation process breaks down the sugars in the beetroot and produces both alcohol and carbon dioxide. The longer you ferment your beets, the higher the alcohol content will be. But the amount is still negligible and shouldn’t be a cause of concern to most people. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Hey John, that looks interesting, they reckon the best thing you could ever do for your health is drink beetroot juice. I am thinking it is alcoholic lol.

Did you make it ?

Yes, I think it probably has as much alcohol as 'non-alcoholic' beer. Yes, I made it.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2021 at 11:07 AM, Graubart said:

Thanks mate!

So are you adding gypsum or CaCl2?

From mems I use both, and some. It’s 2.4 ratio which actually puts in a “bitter” range,  however.... the fact that it ferments out to 1.004 drys it out and has a late flavour addition balances the bitterness. 

• Thanks 1

picked some random bottles from my shelf of things to taste down the track. turns out i like dark brews, never actually realised that before starting on the homebrew thing. anyway tonight i'm having a few different beers that look similar but taste really different.

IMG_7384.thumb.jpg.6176b3ed0449511b53f95828de0a7298.jpg

cascarillo amber ale from the coopers recipe trove, bottled boxing day. enjoyed in weeks ago and still really tasty a few months down the track. easy-ish to make, will do again.

IMG_7380.thumb.jpg.4e35fe526aefd31d8c029592a1153291.jpg

SMOTY ale, made and bottled in feb to drink in june but had to try one at the half way mark. and i like 🙂

just about to pour an ole brown dog which looks a bit like this

744478144_IMG_73501.thumb.jpg.f6c1b5fee614b9fb2866ec48ffef3047.jpg

happy easter eve!

• Like 6