Jump to content

BlackSands

Coopers Club Members
  • Content Count

    3,518
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    18

BlackSands last won the day on May 28

BlackSands had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

2,146 Outstanding

1 Follower

Recent Profile Visitors

888 profile views
  1. 1.036 - a little higher than expected. Efficiency was quite good this time (80%). I just did a quick calc actually and it looks like it's more like 4.2% ABV, and that's before priming. Hmmm... so, comparing to a similar brew made with a larger grist (3.8kg) and less attenuation it seems the kcal/litre aren't actually all that much lower. In fact all I've really achieved here is swapped out calories from residual carbs with calories from alcohol, i.e. less carbs but consequently more alcohol so total calories remain about the same.
  2. This is a first attempt at producing a lower calorie beer. In an attempt to achieve that I've used a modest 3.2kg grist and added enzymes which allowed the Nottingham yeast to ferment this down to 1.004 landing at around 3.8% ABV. I was expecting this to produce a somewhat thin mouthfeel but to be honest it doesn't really seem any different to other beers that have finished at much higher FG's. The other thing I wanted to experience in this one was Rakau hops. They're quite cheap and though my memory of them was that they were rather underwhelming I thought I'd give them another try... with a higher late addition dosing this time! Well, after a good long pull on this beer, and a good swill round the mouth it would indeed seem that they most definitely are a very underwhelming hop! There aint much going on with these hops at all! Anyway, aside from that it's still a pleasant enough beer, but next time I'll definitely be using different hops in the recipe!
  3. Still got half a batch to go of this rather tasty Nelson-Kohatu Bitter...
  4. It's nearly a month old so time for a first tasting. I called this one Brown Kiwi - modelled on an English Brown ale but hopped more in line with American versions. Very happy with this one... and sadly another that is going to be a major waistline hazard!
  5. At the risk of sounding pedantic: it will still add calories. The sugar is in part converted to alcohol which still has a significant calorific value. (7kcal/g) The quantity would be very small though. An average beer has about 60% of its calories from alcohol and the remaining 40% from the residual carbohydrates
  6. Yup.... or, a malt I've used a few times in the past is Gladfield's Aurora.... it's like munich malt on steroids!
  7. It's very enticing but it actually turned out a lot darker than BS led me to believe it would. I used 50g Carafa III as an adjustment but I think next time, and there will be a next time for this brew, I'll use Carafa II or maybe even Carafa I. I'm not overy fussy about colur but I really was going more for a mid-amber colour for this one - I'd rather save these darker red hues for my ambers!
  8. Half a batch to go and lovin' every drop! A brew modelled on an English Best Bitter but with a generous late dosing of Nelson and Taiheke hops.
  9. From a quick search it would seem it's not significantly lower than an already low level found in warm water: "At 40°C (104ºF) the presence of oxygen dissolved in the water is already so low that there is almost no difference between oxygen levels at that temperature and at the boiling point. " I used to always dry pitch until I learnt about rehydration at which point I adopted the practice. Then I later read about this study from Fermentis and subsequently stopped rehydrating and went back to dry pitching once again which, under casual observation seems to work just fine. From the data the differences are seemingly negligible so I'm happy to stick with the simplicity of dry pitching... until another study later proves rehydration is in fact superior!
  10. The reason's why according to Fermentis are summarised in these charts. Essentially as you say "continued testing has shown the benefit of rehydration (higher cell count / shorter lag time) doesn't make a practical difference in the real world," but also considers attenuation, volatile compounds produced etc: (DP=direct pitch, W=rehydrated in water @30ºC, 15ºP=rehydration in agitated 15ºP wort at 20º)
  11. Bear in mind one packet rehydrated is still one packet
  12. Down to the last few bottles of this Theakston's 'Old Peculier' inspired brew. Certainly mellowed quite a bit in 8 months...
  13. I'm curious why given Fermentis themselves have stated rehydrating isn't really necessary? https://fermentis.com/en/news-from-fermentis/technical-reviews/e2u-direct-pitching/ I do note however that their older advice about rehydrating is still in wide circulation.
×
×
  • Create New...