Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - WHAT ARE YOU DRINKING IN 2019?

Titan

11 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

....it probably flattened out to have a bit more beer in the glass. 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

Lusty it was one of those Bavarian HefeWeizen brew we discussed on the forum... which I really appreciated your help with re Yeast and Temp... which was really helpful... But I think for this one the big problem was that I really just amped up the fermentables wayyyyyyyyyy too much... and then did not monitor the SG changes... and ended up with post-bottling fermentables.

And a HUGE HEAD.  The early samples were just fine. Wow.  Little did I realise what would happen thereafter.... but in general it confirms best to plan yer recipe carefully (Ian's spready is good) and then utilise SG solution monitoring on the way... 

13 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

the barman who poured that would find it hard finding work in the town after 

Fortunately for him he almost certainly would not be pouring my outrageous Weizenbok!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Lusty it was one of those Bavarian HefeWeizen brew we discussed on the forum... which I really appreciated your help with re Yeast and Temp... which was really helpful... But I think for this one the big problem was that I really just amped up the fermentables wayyyyyyyyyy too much... and then did not monitor the SG changes... and ended up with post-bottling fermentables.

And a HUGE HEAD.  The early samples were just fine. Wow.  Little did I realise what would happen thereafter.... but in general it confirms best to plan yer recipe carefully (Ian's spready is good) and then utilise SG solution monitoring on the way... 

With any beer(s) you plan to bottle age, it pays to adjust your priming rates based around when you plan to drink them as a home brewer. If I plan to age the beer beyond approx. 3-4 months I lower the initial priming rate a little. (maybe priming @ 3/4 to 2/3 my normal rate) I have seen improvement in the carbonation levels of my longer aged beers since doing this.

It's not an exact science as beer fermentables/starches vary across all the styles, but as a general rule I would advocate the practice for improved drinkability the further you plan to allow a beer to age before drinking.

Just my 2 cents,

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust

6 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Just my 2 cents,

Lusty.

Luvyerwork Lusty. It was a bit of a run to Paradise on extra malt and now I am paying the price... but I think one of Paddy's mates is out there in the paddock if I can find him...  see below...

image.png.b12a4536295b36e9fa671b24c0fcb30f.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

31 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

That would be called ‘ a bishops collar’  back home due to the large white ring on top of black

the barman who poured that would find it hard finding work in the town after 

I find most Bar Staff pour a glass then, if more than an inch of head, they look to wash out the foam with more beer until it is less than 1cm.  Annoying...
If I'm within earshot, I call out "Stop! That's fine as it is."

They probably think, "What planet is this bloke from?" 👽

• Haha 3

25 minutes ago, PB2 said:

I find most Bar Staff pour a glass then, if more than an inch of head, they look to wash out the foam with more beer until it is less than 1cm.  Annoying...
If I'm within earshot, I call out "Stop! That's fine as it is."

They probably think, "What planet is this bloke from?" 👽

So its not just an Irish thing 😂

Guinness is poured in two stages as you all know. Except my Aussie father in law who ,when visiting  me back in Ireland , grabbed the three quarter full glass as the barman let it rest to settle after the first pour .  The locals still dine off that story 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Looks fine in a nice 'Straight-Glass' as we used to call 'em.  I would not call that Over-Carbed... check this out -

What you didn't see was ...

59782194_2335892853366707_3975784069798559744_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_eui2=AeHfp275dCLoB3EZ31s4G6k8uOpOAQPL-z_fJVjwHwc6r5vLSHJ5NWqpLtOpjUaiix-8jy5N7_MC9ngiAoUM0U6hwOvT9X_CcLYNGcWpN-dG1A&_nc_ht=scontent.fakl5-1.fna&oh=442b29c254d0f6f69610078cf08c9e6b&oe=5D2B857E

This one gushed like crazy... mostly all over the counter top as I tried to get the offending bottle to the sink! 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Beerlust said:

With any beer(s) you plan to bottle age, it pays to adjust your priming rates based around when you plan to drink them as a home brewer. If I plan to age the beer beyond approx. 3-4 months I lower the initial priming rate a little. (maybe priming @ 3/4 to 2/3 my normal rate) I have seen improvement in the carbonation levels of my longer aged beers since doing this.

I am with you on this.  I only have one example at this stage.  The Coopers Russian Imperial Stout.  Bottled 98 days ago.  Almost all of the bottles I did at half the standard sugar priming rate.  I did a couple at standard rates.  

I have tasted one of the half carbed at each month so far.  The last taste test included one of the standard carbed.  It was way over carbonated.  Not as bad as @Bearded Burbler's but 50% foam.  At least bottle did not gush.  The half carbed bottles have been great.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

So its not just an Irish thing 😂

Guinness is poured in two stages as you all know. Except my Aussie father in law who ,when visiting  me back in Ireland , grabbed the three quarter full glass as the barman let it rest to settle after the first pour .  The locals still dine off that story 

That’s gold mate made me laugh, stories like that remind me of my late grandfather he’d do something like that, one time he took a car for a test drive and snapped the windscreen wiper lever off when he went to change gears cause his car had a column shifter🤣

• Haha 2

I just had a sneaky glass of a bitsa ale I kegged. Tastes like autumn and gooseberry...Yeah nah, it is a nice beer with good aroma and flavour, that will be even better once it is fully carbonated.

Screenshot_20190511-163435.jpg

Screenshot_20190511-163449.jpg

Screenshot_20190511-163458.jpg

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

As they say in the classics "You aint seen (tasted) nothing yet"

Welcome to the Forum.  We look forward to more brews from you.

Cheers Shamus

Hi Shamus - thanks for the welcome message.

Could've been beginners luck with the first brew.

Morgans Amber Ale is next cab off the rank - I am liking my early taste.

Cheers JohMet 

1 minute ago, The Captain!! said:

Nice!!!! Did you end up getting any coconut from it?

Yeah mate, get a good amount of coconut from it.....It's actually a really great hop in my opinion, Going to experiment a bit more with it i reckon.

• Like 1

Having a pint of my red ale after carbonating it overnight. Tastes as good as it always does. Gonna try the big stout later when I'm home again, plans changed and I'm heading to the olds instead today. Looking forward to that. It was fast carbed as well same pressure same amount of time but I expect the level will be lower than it is in the red, which will suit it perfectly. Might even do the pseudo nitro thing on it with a syringe. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoppy81 said:

Yeah mate, get a good amount of coconut from it.....It's actually a really great hop in my opinion, Going to experiment a bit more with it i reckon.

Excellent. I’ve been trying to get some locally for a Centennial/Sabro/loral/citra fruit bomb. 

Glad she worked out well for ya

• Thanks 1

Enjoying my AG Pale, 6-7 weeks in the bottle. Its definitely mellowed out hop wise but still a great beer. Only a few longnecks left. Gotta bottle my stout and get another batch going. Getting the oven heated for pizza dinner. 

20190512_161452.jpg

• Like 8