Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - WHAT ARE YOU DRINKING IN 2019?

Titan

After the initial taste of the keg, I thought, thats bitter, I'm now about 8 glasses into the keg and I think this beer is still quite bitter, (60 IBUs) however it still makes me long for more.

The wheat gives it a mouthfeel that helps with that bitterness. Its strong chinook bitterness and spiciness holds itself against the malt backbone with also a hint of melon and citrus.

Unfortunately I couldn't get the aroma hops I wanted so settled for El dorado and Citra. Aroma wise this is spot on. Such a good secondary hop choice.

Next time I brew it, Im gonna drop the battering charge by 5 IBUs and keep everything the same. Delicious. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I believe it's when a group of soldiers charges at a castle with a battering ram

At 60 IBUs, the palate feels like it was a group of soldiers with a battering ram....... delicious little soldiers at that.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Danke Herr Kapitan!

Was the major malt component Pale Malt - Wheat Malt?

The pale malt was Coopers Ale malt and the wheat was actually unmalted wheat from a bird store.

It was the first time I've used unmalted wheat in a beer, at 4% its not that much but it was enough for a big fluffy head and a really nice mouthfeel.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NewBrews said:

Speaking of hops, Shark Attack XPA! Only a few bottles left but I think I might have to put on another!

Sounds good... and what a cool photo and what a crackin' glass... mmmm… I am hoping it won't be cracking soon ; )

Just now, NewBrews said:

Had it for 30 odd years I’ve been with the boss and still going strong. It’s a crystal one and if it does break, there are three more in the fancy cupboard!

That is pure gold!

Cheers NB…. luvyerwork and good brewing mate!

That is really cool.

BB

• Thanks 1

Goodness Gracious - maybe this has just been a lesson in PATIENCE...  did a very very very slow pour...  like pour and wait

pour and wait.... like Pils in Germany that takes 7 minutes.... and have ended up 

with a nice glass of the Weizenbok… maybe I was just too much in a hurry before - tastes great....

image.thumb.png.1da29709cd1b8338ed576955aee8e33e.png

• Like 9

On 5/16/2019 at 5:33 PM, Beer Baron said:

I just sampled my el dorado pale ale. It’s slightly under carbed considering it’s been on the gas for 10 days. I don’t really like el dorado hops so it will be a quick keg😂

I like El Dorado; I bought some more during the week.

El Dorado is gold! (pun intended) 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Red ale. This batch interestingly has much better head retention than the last one did. Still a nice thin layer on it getting down to the second half of the glass.

20190518_115337.thumb.jpg.751be3695a4dc7e33e53b7fad199caf7.jpg

20190518_120211.thumb.jpg.01653ef22945d1e991b45d7f6cb3b717.jpg

Cheers

Kelsey

How’s the flavour?? 

I find the couple of red ales I have tried have been really malty

Dad and I enjoying the big 8.5% stout at the bar, after fixing the shower taps. He's been keen to try it ever since I mentioned brewing it last year. Both of us thoroughly enjoyed it. He's the one responsible for me getting into all the brewing science, or that's my story anyway 😂 If I'd been as into chemistry 15-20 years ago as I am now I may well have followed him into industrial chemistry as a career. Legend.

20190518_162705.thumb.jpg.90850f3d3f2ca4ff21b8e96ca55b4212.jpg

Cheers

Kelsey

• Like 14

48 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Dad and I enjoying the big 8.5% stout at the bar, after fixing the shower taps. He's been keen to try it ever since I mentioned brewing it last year. Both of us thoroughly enjoyed it. He's the one responsible for me getting into all the brewing science, or that's my story anyway 😂 If I'd been as into chemistry 15-20 years ago as I am now I may well have followed him into industrial chemistry as a career. Legend.

20190518_162705.thumb.jpg.90850f3d3f2ca4ff21b8e96ca55b4212.jpg

Cheers

Kelsey

GOLD!

Luvyerwork Kelsey and festive to have a Dad who has helped steer you into the brewing science... pure GOLD!

• Like 1