Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - WHAT ARE YOU DRINKING IN 2019?

Titan

Barrel aged Flanders Red

Needs a little more time in the bottles as carbonation is very low but luckily it is a style that doesn’t need to be fizzy. Very, very drinkable.

C48EE1B6-DB35-4E28-8247-98BA5B2D9D08.thumb.jpeg.1af297183e2f2bac2f8d4747255ffc94.jpeg

• Like 10

11 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

Rye pale. With Amarillo, Citra, Simcoe and Nelson. 

Recipe needs no adjustments just need to work on water to pop the hops and clear the beer a bit more. 

42916FA2-A15D-4BCC-AA81-14548702FD77.jpeg

Hey there Captain. Any chance you can send me the recipe. Have been thinking of making a rye pale for a while. Will give it a go later on this week.

1 hour ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

Hey there Captain. Any chance you can send me the recipe. Have been thinking of making a rye pale for a while. Will give it a go later on this week.

All sent mate. Hopefully I got the right Greeny.

• Haha 1

Cashmere x golden promise smash. Weirdest beer I've ever made. I used 5kg of grain and bittered at 60 with 10g of cashmere then wacked 50g in at flameout then another 50g at 82c used us05. I get a massive hit of coconut backed up with a kaffir lime and lemon grass notes. It's strange but it's any easy drinker just bizzare for my palate. Got 150g left will most likely try to combo some other hops to compliment it. Any of you guys used this hop before and to what effect?

20190507_142031.jpg

• Like 8

Hot on the heals of that delicious Riwaka PA I exhibited a day or so ago, is this equally tasty PA - a bit young still, but already shaping up very nicely.   This one features a generous dose of Gladfield Aurora malt, highlighted with Wakatu and Wai-iti hops.  I'd used  a largish percentage of Aurora in the past and remember liking it so thought I'd give it another shot.  It certainly imparts a noteworthy presence to the beer.  I'm a fan.  After this one I immediately brewed an even bolder Aurora beer, just bottled recently which is 50% Aurora.   I'm not however brave enough to try 100% Aurora as per Gladfield's own Aurora-based recipe  😨 

AuroraPA2019-1.jpg

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, Hairy said:

I currently have a beer in the fermenter with Wai-iti hops; I'm looking forward to trying it.

I once did a single-hop Brit Gold with a decent amount of Wai-iti.  All I could taste was tinned peaches!  😄   I found it to be really quite nice initially but after a while the novelty started to wear off somewhat.   Still, nice enough aroma hop.  Current crop here is only 1.3%AA  😱  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Mine was around 3%. Great for late hopping without adding much bitterness.

At 1.3%AA you'd have to boil the buggers for a century to get a decent amount of bitterness  😂

Edited by BlackSands
  • Haha 3

On 5/5/2019 at 5:16 PM, Hairy said:

Barrel aged Flanders Red

Needs a little more time in the bottles as carbonation is very low but luckily it is a style that doesn’t need to be fizzy. Very, very drinkable.

C48EE1B6-DB35-4E28-8247-98BA5B2D9D08.thumb.jpeg.1af297183e2f2bac2f8d4747255ffc94.jpeg

I've been thinking about brewing one of these at home. Looking at 23L glass demijohn ($58), an oak spiral ($12) and the Roeselare blend. And patience and time, like 12 months in the demijohn under the house.

Rodenbach beers are just phenomenal and I feel up for the challenge!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, joolbag said:

I've been thinking about brewing one of these at home. Looking at 23L glass demijohn ($58), an oak spiral ($12) and the Roeselare blend. And patience and time, like 12 months in the demijohn under the house.

Rodenbach beers are just phenomenal and I feel up for the challenge!

+1 Jools. Had a work dinner just over a month ago and they had Rodenbachs on the drinks menu. Took the opportunity while i wasnt paying to scoff 3 of em down. 2 grand cru and an alexander. Awesome beers.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Greeny1525229549 said:

+1 Jools. Had a work dinner just over a month ago and they had Rodenbachs on the drinks menu. Took the opportunity while i wasnt paying to scoff 3 of em down. 2 grand cru and an alexander. Awesome beers.

I haven’t tried the Alexander but the Grand Cru is sensational.

Even the bog standard one is great. I bought a few from Leura Cellars a few years ago. They were in cans and about $4 each.

Just finishing the last of my Raspberry Saison...

I'm torn with this recipe...I liked it a lot, but not sure when I would brew it again...I think a lot has to do with not many people liking it. I'd say 30% of people who tried it liked it, 50% were eh about it and 20% were definitely a no. Where as almost all my other beers, the feedback has been really positive....

IMG_20190507_202259.jpg

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, RepSpec said:

Just finishing the last of my Raspberry Saison...

I'm torn with this recipe...I liked it a lot, but not sure when I would brew it again...I think a lot has to do with not many people liking it.

I have the same issue with Saison's generally,  no-one else in my household likes them.   I have 15 bottles left from a batch I brewed back in the Summer which have subsequently been put to one side and largely forgotten about.  😕

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Hairy said:

Mine was around 3%. Great for late hopping without adding much bitterness.

Actually... had another thought about this.   It was the 2016 crop that was around 3%AA which could well mean, depending on storage conditions that by now they're likely very much lower.   

Not sure how age effects the aromatic components in hops though?   Do they fade in the same way AA's do?  🤔

1 hour ago, BlackSands said:

Actually... had another thought about this.   It was the 2016 crop that was around 3%AA which could well mean, depending on storage conditions that by now they're likely very much lower.   

Not sure how age effects the aromatic components in hops though?   Do they fade in the same way AA's do?  🤔

Yes, they do but again if stored correctly can be ok for years.