Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - WHAT ARE YOU DRINKING IN 2019?

Titan

Currently savouring, yes savouring a couple of pours of Coopers DIY recipe: Island Toasted Coconut Porter that I bottled back in August of last year when the recipe pack was released. I've sampled two longnecks over the last 8½ months periodically just to see where the beer was at. At earlier junctions it was still a little separated (for a better term). Right now though all the different components have reached a very timely integration point. It is ridiculously yummy! 🤤

No need for a pic, what I have here is exactly the same looking beer as is displayed in the recipe page pic. Held up to a bright light background it almost resembles creaming soda in colour. Lovely off-white to tan head, terrific carbonation, nice glass lacing, & the flavours are just wonderful! 

Great timing on the release of the recipe Coopers, & to those that have been smart enough to leave a few of these alone until this time I say ENJOY!

Typically I only make one dark beer batch per year for our Winter months where I enjoy them most. Needless to say this batch will NOT see out this winter.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• Like 8

Still got my pilsner keg going. It has cleared up really well since it first went on. Tasting better too. That's usually a sign it's about to run out so if I manage to get a full glass tomorrow I'll get a picture. 

We will be replacing the kitchen fridge soon, when that happens I'll be taking the current one and using it as my second ferment fridge. Should be able to keep stocks up more with two fermenters going. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Here it is, unsure how much is left but lovely beer as always.

20190428_112729.thumb.jpg.eba28c50480fcd5da79b4b02825fe538.jpg

58 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

Impressive clarity!   👍

Many fish died to be able to make this beer! 😜 🤣

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Haha 6

5 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Many fish died to be able to make this beer! 😜 🤣

Cheers,

Lusty.

And employed many a poor villager to catch the fish to do so. 

I cant bring myself to tell my vegan mum that the beer she drinks has isinglass in it ha ha I giggle all the time about it. 

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

And employed many a poor villager to catch the fish to do so.

If your entire plan is just to float around in a small boat with hand nets all day in the hope of catching enough fish to make a living, then that is probably the reason why you're poor!

• Haha 1

On 4/27/2019 at 5:24 PM, MartyG1525230263 said:

My much posted about Battleship bitter....been in the bottle for 4 weeks and still not quite there ... bit too strong on the back palate ... think it is the hop mix ... great mouth feel and it does taste good but the length of the bitterness needs to mellow a tad ... but considering the issues i had with it i am very happy 100% drinkable ... 

20190427_171100.jpg

i see you get your glasses from the same supplier as me......

5 minutes ago, worry wort said:

i see you get your glasses from the same supplier as me......

Do you know my son?  .... maybe he gets them from the same supplier ...  🙂 

Edited by MartyG1525230263
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

Hey WW what hops did you use in the stone and wood ... Galaxy? if so do you try to balance the passionfruit or is the stronger fruit tones to your taste ? 

the recipe called for 40 galaxy dry hopped, but i used 25 galaxy and 15 cascade otherwise its just too fruity for me. I have a yuppy neighbour who is right into all this craft brew stuff, and he loves it. personally i cant see myself sitting down to 2 or 3 bottles, but 1 x 1250ml bottle is good on a hot day or after doing stuff around the property.

• Thanks 1

I kegged & bottled my Galaxy/Ella Kolsch on Sunday. The Wyeast 1007 German Ale strain I used to ferment this batch is one stubborn mofo of a yeast to drop out of suspension. I had the beer cold condition for a solid week & the stuff still remained in suspension & has unfortunately transferred to the keg. I don't mind a little cloudiness/haze in my beers but this one is too much for me. I wish I'd used some finings on it now. The beer still pours great, smells great, tastes great etc. but appearance-wise it doesn't look great (IMHO).

It may eventually drop out after more conditioning time in the keg, but that looks like it will be a slow process at best. The yeast is very tolerant of cold temperatures. I collected some yeast from the trub for re-use & it was the easiest yeast to collect because it refuses to drop. I just let all the trub drop out at ambient temps on the counter then poured the liquid above it off into another jar leaving the trub behind. This liquid contained a ton of yeast & the sample is lovely & clean without having to rinse it.

It's all learning. 🙂

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Captain!! said:

My pacific ale contains, Galaxy, cascade and Nelson.

its not finished yet but it’s a pretty good beer. 

Thinking of changing the cascade out for some lemon and lime of Motueka. 

Galaxy plays well with others imo.

i like the 60/40 galaxy/cascade mix but still learning about which hops suit my palate, but galaxy alone is a bit too much, but is a very good dryhop in small amounts to just put a twist on some beers. the mix of motueka sounds interesting, haven't tried that one yet, so you think a 60/40 galaxy/motueka would give a good fruit/citrus taste?

5 hours ago, worry wort said:

i like the 60/40 galaxy/cascade mix but still learning about which hops suit my palate, but galaxy alone is a bit too much, but is a very good dryhop in small amounts to just put a twist on some beers. the mix of motueka sounds interesting, haven't tried that one yet, so you think a 60/40 galaxy/motueka would give a good fruit/citrus taste?

I think for the pacific ale I’m brewing that Galaxy, motueka and Nelson will be a really good mix for that style of beer. It’ll be very fruity that’s for sure.

ill be trying that next time. 

As far as Galaxy and Motueka in a 60/40 mix, yeah that’ll be nice and fruity. Guess the best way for you to find out is to put one down.