Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - WHAT ARE YOU DRINKING IN 2019?

Titan

I had a sample of my Creme’y Oatmeal Stout yesterday. It seems like adding real chocolate and having no head may be a myth. It still tastes very boozy so I’ll leave it a while longer. I wish I bottled this beer. It’s annoying having it taking up a keg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Beer Baron said:

I wish I bottled this beer. It’s annoying having it taking up a keg

Can you transfer to bottles?  I realise that likely involves some expensive gadgetry though (beer gun etc)... 

2 hours ago, BlackSands said:

Can you transfer to bottles?  I realise that likely involves some expensive gadgetry though (beer gun etc)... 

I don't know much about it but my festive LHBS - local being c.3 hours away ; )      does the Growler off the tap.... but I guess that is a 24-48 hour experience w Lid on.

And on most occasions when I purchase fresh brew off them I am dying to slurp it after the long trip home 😝

Thing is... if you poured carefully into a bottle out of tap... nice and cold... and then crown-cork sealed it... would you not then have the residual C02 in the bottle... which would provide fizz on removal of the lid?  

i.e. you are pressing a pause button on the beer you were about to drink?  Or does the beer time-space continuum not work like that?

4 hours ago, BlackSands said:

I wouldn’t know how to do it. It’s probably easier to get another keg ha ha ha

1 hour ago, Bearded Burbler said:

I don't know much about it but my festive LHBS - local being c.3 hours away ; )      does the Growler off the tap.... but I guess that is a 24-48 hour experience w Lid on.

I do the growler off the tap for when I go to the father in laws house. His home brew makes me love the taste of VB.....

• Haha 2

Counter pressure bottle fillers are what you need if you want to transfer beer from a keg and maintain the carbonation level. 

I have nothing available currently. Went to pour a pilsner the other night and all I got was spluttering yeast muck. Gonna clean the two kegs and lines, and keg the red ale on the weekend. Don't know if the temp probe wires will be here by then, if not then the fridge can air out until they are and then the pale ale can go in. 

Might chuck the stout keg in after that and get it chilling and carbing too. It can take up residence in the back while other beers rotate on the other tap. I was gonna take the soda and water off but I like it being so easily accessible too much 😂

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

i.e. you are pressing a pause button on the beer you were about to drink?  Or does the beer time-space continuum not work like that?

Apparently not.  Hence...   

Image result for counter pressure bottler

• Haha 1

this is why I love brewing .... simple kit and kilo Coopers Stout done as per the can instructions with kit yeast ... 1 year in a PET bottle and bingo ... this nearly is as good as it gets ...  this stuff is just wonderful ... the loss of carbonation from the PET bottle is perfect for this style of beer ...  but could have a touch more body but for a kit and kilo i am not complaining ... 9 out of 10 for me ... 

20190509_173512.jpg

Edited by MartyG1525230263
  • Like 10

11 hours ago, BlackSands said:

Apparently not.  Hence...   

Mmmmm.... did a bit of research... and it seems like they get delivered also in the below manner... guess it is hi-tech...

image.png.6852eb21f7a6a1ca79818825ba5d9313.png

• Haha 1

What I am drinking... the green (more time in bottle warranted) but very tasty Coopers Golden Crown + Malt... brewed cool at 14-15...  dunno whether I am going to see what maturation does to this brew... quaffing brew to be sure to be sure.

image.png.23c42d8feaf10dbe3c04cfd1d5a8df05.png

• Like 7

Mystery Stout.  A half-batch AG brew made from an unknown grain bill; a milling error at the store.  While I've had a few brews in the past finish at an FG higher than expected this was actually my first ever properly stuck fermentation @1.1021.  Despite best efforts with a variety of strategies adopted I couldn't get fermentation started again, so eventually gave up and bottled.  

And, pretty much as scripted it's now ended up way over carb'd!  🤨  I've subsequently gone round all the remaining PET's now and eased off the pressure.

One of the 'fears' of brewing with an unknown grain bill is the risk that you end up with a great tasting beer that you won't know how to replicate.   Well, pretty much as scripted...   Doh!  😣     

I'm actually left wondering what the mistake in the grain bill was as this tastes pretty darn good, though I suspect it's probably too much roasted barley, particularly as the colour is the deepest darkest black I've ever seen in a beer and there is a hint of that bitter bite you can sometimes get off the roasted malts.  But it's still very young so I'm not particularly concerned about that.  Mouth feel on this one is really quite chewy... in a good way!  😋   Will revisit this one in the Winter I think.   

StoutMay2019-1.jpg

• Like 8

I am drinking a Galaxy/Ella kolsch, brewed by @Beerlust

It is an excellent beer that fits my tastes perfectly. It is a smooth drinking kolsch with nice aroma and flavour, while keeping the bitterness down, perfect for me.

I have gone off galaxy a little bit, but this mix with Ella hops is nice and the two go together well.

It was a hazy brew, sorry for not posting a picture, I ain't Blacksands, no offense to him, I just got into it too quickly. 

Very good beer Lusty, thank you for sharing. Now I need to handle some sharing of my own. In my defense the first batch was mistakenly taken by the in-laws, this last batch is nice but was a bitsa ale so I wasn't too sure how it would come out so I didn't bother bottling some. But trust me I will be sending a package soon Captain and Otto.

Cheers

Norris

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the kind words Norris, I'm glad you liked it. 🙂

First time using the Wyeast 1007 on that recipe as I usually use the Wyeast 2565. The 1007 produced a much hazier/beer with more yeast remaining in suspension. Taste-wise, still really nice, but if I used the yeast again I would use some finings on the final beer. The 2565 version is cloudy, but not anywhere near as hazy as the 1007 brewed version.

I hope the Pale presents well.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BlackSands said:

Mystery Stout. And, pretty much as scripted it's now ended up way over carb'd! 

Looks fine in a nice 'Straight-Glass' as we used to call 'em.  I would not call that Over-Carbed... check this out - and yes that is a Maß... so 1 Litre capacity... that is over-carb..

but noone can tell me that Wheat does not help head retention 😆

image.png.3c338dcf04c10bd99d622219f1bb040f.png

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Haha 8

My brand new indoor Chive plant seems to be quite a new brewing Persona... any suggestions for names?

My thoughts were going to 'Hairy' but did not want to pre-empt any other worthy suggestions........

image.png.13924ff3a61e4dd64ed818939d415274.png

2 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Looks like a pint of sponge 😂

Being an Irishman, I'm guessing you've seen proper Guinness poured? 😜

In defence of BB, it probably flattened out to have a bit more beer in the glass. 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Looks like a pint of sponge 😂

It surely gave me a lesson in a) way too much malt to begin with and b) monitoring fermentation development with hydrometer... 

What was really interesting is that this Beer was 'well behaved' in the early stages... trust me... this is the same bottle pour - January.... 

Serious lesson in not monitoring SG...  I did a 10 day ferment thinking that would be fine... 

Still pretty nice cloud patterns and and not so frieeekennn dry...........  and hopefully that calf is bigger now so won't keep coming through the fences?!

image.png.23b98357f8b304ba926896843de825db.png

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

Being an Irishman, I'm guessing you've seen proper Guinness poured? 😜

In defence of BB, it probably flattened out to have a bit more beer in the glass. 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

That would be called ‘ a bishops collar’  back home due to the large white ring on top of black

the barman who poured that would find it hard finding work in the town after 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

That would be called ‘ a bishops collar’  back home due to the large white ring on top of black

the barman who poured that would find it hard finding work in the town after 

I tried to defend you BB, but Paddy has us cold.

I'm gonna make a print of that phrase & a said looking beer, frame it, & put it on a wall somewhere near my bar. That is gold! 🤣

Cheers Paddy!

Had me crying laughing,

Lusty.

• Haha 3