Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - WHAT ARE YOU DRINKING IN 2019?

Titan

8 hours ago, worry wort said:

i like the 60/40 galaxy/cascade mix but still learning about which hops suit my palate, but galaxy alone is a bit too much, but is a very good dryhop in small amounts to just put a twist on some beers. the mix of motueka sounds interesting, haven't tried that one yet, so you think a 60/40 galaxy/motueka would give a good fruit/citrus taste?

Galaxy / Motueka is a nice mix... My one and only comp entry was an American Amber Ale hopped with this blend and it must have tasted ok as it scored a gold in both the ACT and national comps.

Edit: found the recipe... 

Cheers, 

John 

Edited by porschemad911
  • Like 2

On 4/27/2019 at 10:31 PM, Beerlust said:

Currently savouring, yes savouring a couple of pours of Coopers DIY recipe: Island Toasted Coconut Porter that I bottled back in August of last year when the recipe pack was released.

I had a mate around yesterday on my day off. I was recently promoted & he has a good grip on the role I'm now doing so we talked shop for a few hours & had a few ales. All Coopers commercial stuff, me pale, him sparkling. He eventually ran out of sparkling & had the day before requested I put a couple of longnecks of the Coconut Porter in the fridge the night before so he could try it.

He tried it alright & loved it! Enough so that I had to kick him out before he made too much of a dent in my stocks of it that I'm only sipping occasionally a longneck or so of now it's getting a bit colder weather-wise & this type of beer becomes more enjoyable.

He's a great mate, but next time he comes around & asks about it, "nah,...all gone mate". 😁

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, BlackSands said:

I put aside a half batch of this porter a while back.   Thought I'd see how it's progressing.   Nice enough, tastes like a porter and a tad mellower than before, but nothing special to be honest.

Good stuff BS!  The head looks creamy - is it so in the mouthfeel stakes?

Do you know or any other brewer out there know the secret to creaminess for Porters - or maybe even more so - Stouts?

4 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Clear as mud. 😂

Actually back before I used finings...

So Kelsey these finings - such as isinglass - at what stage are these added ?   ...........do you add to the fermenter prior to cold crash?

12 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Good stuff BS!  The head looks creamy - is it so in the mouthfeel stakes?

Do you know or any other brewer out there know the secret to creaminess for Porters - or maybe even more so - Stouts?

Yeah, the head 'performance' is good on this one.  Has certainly improved with time.  But it's certainly not what I call 'creamy' in terms of mouthfeel.  The grain bill in this was partially unknown - a milling error at the store!  The  grains were going to be thrown out but I grabbed all 6kg and split it into 3 x 2kg for use in partial mash brews - to be paired up with a can of LME in one form or another.   There was nothing in the grains that I could see that would contribute particularly to a creamier mouthfeel but I think using things like rolled oats,  carapils, wheat etc, and higher mash temps can help with that.

1 hour ago, BlackSands said:

There was nothing in the grains that I could see that would contribute particularly to a creamier mouthfeel but I think using things like rolled oats,  carapils, wheat etc, and higher mash temps can help with that.

Rolled oats is what i use. Aldi organic rolled oats. This has definitely improved my beers retention and mouthfeel. Add them to the mash as last ingredient as the rest of grains act as a filter.

• Like 1

I've got 6l of extract Amber Saison hopped with Enigma on tap in the fridge. Smells nice, lots of pineapple with a hint of celery. Tastes nice too, the Amber LME gives a little more fullness and roundness to the body and malt flavour, but Coopers seem to have approached the crystal in the grist with a reasonably light hand which I like. The yeast character is pretty well balanced IMO, adding a nice bit of funky complexity to the beer. Might be a bit boring with US-05 for example. 

It is not quite as good as my 9% oaked imperial black saison I tried a bottle of the other day, but it is a fair bit lighter at roughly 4.5% abv, so it works better for having a pint or 2. The oaked saison is a beautiful beer though, looking forward to point that on tap at some point. 

Cheers, 

John 

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Beer Baron said:

Love the glass. I gotta get me one of those!!

Like Hairy said, the Craftd glasses are great, this one in particular is my favourite. Holds a decent amount of beer, is still good for aromatics and is a nice thin lip for drinking. great glass.

1 hour ago, The Captain!! said:

Like Hairy said, the Craftd glasses are great, this one in particular is my favourite. Holds a decent amount of beer, is still good for aromatics and is a nice thin lip for drinking. great glass.

Note to oneself: Standard postmix keg pours approx 40 pints, OR 20 Craftd glasses.

That is a Big Un!

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Haha 1

On 4/30/2019 at 8:38 PM, Beer Baron said:

Now you can afford to buy magnum hops in BIG bulk packs!!

On reflection you might have a good point here. It's getting a bit colder now & this stuff might make for some good kindling. 😜

It's not like it has any aroma or flavour properties, so it won't stink the house out when burned.

I'll look into the price of kindling first. 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Haha 2

Neipa v12. Citra, mosaic and amarillo all flameout hops, really nice drop. Starting to home the recipe to my liking big smack of juicey goodness. This is my last bottle but luckily I laid another batch down today cheers.

20190504_153053.jpg

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Dirtman Dan said:

Neipa v12. Citra, mosaic and amarillo all flameout hops, really nice drop. Starting to home the recipe to my liking big smack of juicey goodness. This is my last bottle but luckily I laid another batch down today cheers.

20190504_153053.jpg

It looks great and I love the hop combo!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dirtman Dan said:

20190504_153053.jpg

Damn that looks yummy.

Whats the recipe?

Cheers, Mitch.

Hey Mitchell recipe goes.

5kg Maris Otter

1kg Wheat

400g oats

Mashed @ 67c 1 hour

60min boil at flameout 50g Mosaic 50g Citra 20 min steep.

Then 50g Mosaic 50g Citra whirlpool 15 min steep. Cubed overnight.

Us05 fermented around 18c and 50g Mosiac 50g Citra 50g Amarillo dry hopped last 5 days. Was in fv for 13 days 😃

• Like 2