Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - WHAT ARE YOU DRINKING IN 2019?

Titan

4 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

I would call them lagers, unless they're done with an ale yeast in which case they're ales.

Wouldn't they be considered too bitter and too hoppy generally to be considered lagers?

If they are typically using a 'clean' ale yeast as suggested, then I do agree... they're ales and given that, it would have made more sense if BJCP had instead created a new style called: NZ Pale Ale 

Well, traditional Czech pilsners are generally more bitter than other lagers but they're still lagers. I've always objected to those new world styles being called pilsners but something like NZ hoppy lager would suit well. 

For me it's the yeast that really determines whether it's ale or lager. Of course there are numerous substyles underneath each umbrella. There must be a standard that differentiates the two main ones otherwise it just creates confusion, and that's without the ones that are fermented with a blend of ale and lager yeast. Maybe they should be called lagales 😂

• Like 2

Clone n Wood.

Goes ok..... glad I only made a 10L batch though. I’m not even really a fan of actual stone n wood so I dunno why I made this 😂 but beer is beer and I’ll drink it. 

I’d probably make again and triple my dry hop quantities. 

Cheers 

F991A660-49CD-48A4-AB0B-F463ADF3352F.jpeg

• Like 7

2 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

I’m not even really a fan of actual stone n wood so I dunno why I made this 😂 but beer is beer and I’ll drink it. 

I’m not a big fan either, however I still brew a pacific ale just to prove to my mates that good beer doesn’t have to cost ya $60 odd a carton. 

Id triple ya dry hop too....... just cause

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Not my best beer by a long shot.  I ended up using double the amount of lactose that I should have.  Ended up a really sweet beer. 

You tell me this today? After I just copied it? I used about 450g lactose as the bag from the LHBS was busted in the post.

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, elLachlano said:

You tell me this today? After I just copied it? I used about 450g lactose as the bag from the LHBS was busted in the post.

OOPS!!

You should be okay though.  I did a double sized batch too.  However, I used 1kg of lactose instead of 500g (by mistake, not design).  Hopefully with your 450g yours will be even less sweet and therefore a much more balanced beer.

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

OOPS!!

You should be okay though.  I did a double sized batch too.  However, I used 1kg of lactose instead of 500g (by mistake, not design).  Hopefully with your 450g yours will be even less sweet and therefore a much more balanced beer.

Yeah I did 21L but had forgotten that you'd accidentally put in more lactose. So you used 1k each ldme and lactose? Crazy 😵. We'll see how it turns out. I really need to get a smaller craft fv to try these experiments in.

4 hours ago, elLachlano said:

Yeah I did 21L but had forgotten that you'd accidentally put in more lactose. So you used 1k each ldme and lactose? Crazy 😵. We'll see how it turns out. I really need to get a smaller craft fv to try these experiments in.

Yep, 1kg of each.  However, the lactose does not ferment so it does not raise the ABV.  It does add sweetness though.  That is the problem with my Pavlova Pale Ale.  It is almost to sweet to drink. 

52 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Yep, 1kg of each.  However, the lactose does not ferment so it does not raise the ABV.  It does add sweetness though.  That is the problem with my Pavlova Pale Ale.  It is almost to sweet to drink. 

Non-fermentable - Got it! Do you know if the sugar from passion fruit pulp ferments? I wish I'd tasted it more carefully before I sealed it up.

2019 heralded the start of a new way of brewing for me. I've been a KnK brewer since I first found coopers in Richmond NSW in 1984, but only ever KnK. late last year i got the urge to branch out, and started using hops and malts in the process. I've made 12 batches, all different, trying to find a life-long brew. My top 3 on the 'oh yeah baby' list so far are the 150 lashes,  the IPA Session ale (4.2) and my current drinking batch of coopers sparkling ales using coopers commerical culture for the first time.  Other batches have been a stone and wood which my yuppy neighbour went ape over but was too sweet for me, spicy brunette,  Mangrove Jacks lucky goat pale ale, and an irish ale. My current brewing batch is a coopers mild ale using the same coopers yeast culture, so looking forward to that. 

• Like 5

On 4/24/2019 at 5:58 PM, MitchBastard said:

Clone n Wood.

Goes ok..... glad I only made a 10L batch though. I’m not even really a fan of actual stone n wood so I dunno why I made this 😂 but beer is beer and I’ll drink it. 

Cheers 

F991A660-49CD-48A4-AB0B-F463ADF3352F.jpeg

i made one and it was a great drop, just a bit sweet for me to drink often, but very refreshing on a hot day. My yuppy, craft brew swilling pig of a neighbour loved it and said it was almost worth taking it up as a hobby if thats what you can get lol. I don't know what S&W go for, but mine cost me about $1.05 a 1.25ltr bottle....

• Like 3

On 4/17/2019 at 8:28 AM, Otto Von Blotto said:

That can happen with beers as they age. 

Kelsey, do you think that it is just residual fermentable sugars in the bottle then that are yeast-converted into extra carbonation over time? 

In a sense, but they aren't fermentable until they're broken down. I have heard that yeast can secrete an enzyme that does the breaking down, allowing the yeast to then ferment it. It doesn't always happen but it can. I haven't really had any aged beers that have wound up over carbonated though.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

@worry wort I’m not sure what it costs either. Never bought it. Only ever been given it. 

Ill make this one again except I don’t think I’ll boil any hops. I only did a small boil  but I Think it’s had a negative effect.

i used the dry hop with 2 x 12.5 galaxy and 1 x 12.5 cascade, was quite a nice drop but not a session ale for me

• Like 1

NMB (not my beer) brew but a tasty drop from Rusty Penny in Penrith... Rusty Penny also run All Things Home Brew... picked up some yeast and malt from them on the way back from the airport [Sydney Traffic @#$%&*!].... and got a growler of their American Pale at the Tap Room...

a few hours drive later and off the road... and it came in just great:

Had to get an internal kitch photee as it was dark outside 😆

image.png.9d1d0347603f1f50ab1558e117c325b7.png

• Like 2

My much posted about Battleship bitter....been in the bottle for 4 weeks and still not quite there ... bit too strong on the back palate ... think it is the hop mix ... great mouth feel and it does taste good but the length of the bitterness needs to mellow a tad ... but considering the issues i had with it i am very happy 100% drinkable ... 

20190427_171100.jpg

• Like 6

And a new take on old brew... Mongrel Lager from Sep 2018 is back... based on Coopers Lager basic kit w some extras...

7 months later definitely improved... but am looking forward to my first cool temp lager... in the meantime... here we go... trying to raise the beer-ography bar 😜

image.png.ce32afd3f13911818673d1f51e5146cf.png

• Like 8

Just going through the "beer cupboard" in the garage rounding up a few stray bottles.

Put a long neck in the fridge this morning and just opened it.
Tasted it and I'm not keen. It had 67 on the lid and I've checked my notes.
It's a Dark Monk that I made June last year.
https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/the-dark-monk.html
Looks good, nice head, but I just don't really like it.

20190427_175956.jpg

Edited by Graculus
  • Sad 1