Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - WHAT ARE YOU DRINKING IN 2019?

Titan

2 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

It’s good to see that it’s the organically harvested, non processed, non demineralised wanker salt you have at that establishment. 

I use only the best to dry their tears. #Fatherlylove

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, The Captain!! said:

I occasionally make double batches however I like the variety of beers on hand. 

For sure Capitano - I was just trying to make a poor attempt at a joke - what could you do to make it better - the only way - brew bigger vats of it😆

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2019 at 4:59 AM, The Captain!! said:

This is my house pale, finally got it to where I want it after three attempts. So it now gets a name

Faded Jeans Pale Ale. 

My initial reason behind this pale was to brew something that was cheap, inoffensive and easy drinking. 

Hops are Centennial, Cascade and Mosaic. All are easily accessible and fairly cheap. Basic malt grist and easy peasy to brew. 

At 5% it’s very very easy drinking

E22A0AC8-DF8A-44B1-A673-0ACDCFC0669A.jpeg

@The Captain!! Do you mind sharing your recipe for this brew?

Cheers,

Christina.

@The Captain!! Thanks for that. 👍😘  So you only use Centennial for bittering? I thought you might have used it later in the boil, so that is what I did. I made a second batch of El Capitano today, before you posted your recipe above. It is slightly different from my first version. The recipe is posted in the "what is in your fermenter" thread. 

Interesting that you use raw wheat. I have never used raw wheat, only malted. I always used to use malted wheat in my APA recipes, for help with head formation, but in my experience the head you get from malted wheat doesn't stick around or produce lacing. I am interested in seeing if Carapils will result in more lacing and delay hop fade, which it is also supposed to be good for.

Cheers,

Christina

@ChristinaS1 yeah I only use it for bittering. I find that it produces a clean snappy bitterness. Reminiscent of zest. 

Raw wheat is a different ingredient but I do recommend it depending on what you want from your beer.  I’ve used up to 5% previous but it does give a lot of mouthfeel for the amount used. It also gives a certain taste that in higher percentage isn’t pleasant IMO. I bought 5kg of it from the bird pet joint for like $3. im not sure if this helps with head retention however this beer holds up fairly well. Not sure of what proteins exist before and after the malting process. 
I went away from carapils as I found it wasn’t giving me the taste/mouthfeel I wanted in the beer and this is why it went to Raw Wheat. 
Well I’ll go over and have a look at the fermenter page, it’s not one that I monitor that much TBH. 
I really hope your next El Capitano is much better than the last. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 3/27/2019 at 1:38 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

My play on Roger Roger Ale

Toucan: Australian Pale Ale can; Family Secret Amber Ale can; 200g LDM; 25g:25g Vic Secret:Topaz 20 minute steep; 25g:25g Vic Secret:Topaz dry hop.

Pretty happy with result.  The dry hop does not come through much.  More of the Amber Ale aroma I remember from when I did this can alone.  However, much more bitter.  Approximate IBU's of 47.  Similar to an IPA.  It offsets the sweetness of the Amber Ale really well.

IMG_1115.JPG.c4befd6a71f819bf455e6181a48c1be9.JPG

I'm gonna try this but with Mr beer pale and amber ale tins, maybe to 18 L👍 and a dry hop.  2 yeasts 

• Like 2