Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - WHAT ARE YOU DRINKING IN 2019?

Titan

I’ll do this again however I will bitter it more and cold crash for over a week to drop it out. 

I’ll bitter with something like Nelson which I think will pair well with the fruity and pine aspects of vic secret. Also less in late and more mid boil to bring out the pine a bit more. 

8 hours ago, The Captain!! said:

Here’s some chicken soup I created in a fermenter and over a couple of weeks. 

Tastes like fruit and pine, slightly under bittered for a hoppy pale however for the haze crazed hop bomb fans out there. Really good. Not what I was hoping for however not undrinkable

7A9093E8-6683-4BDE-AC9C-166D27EE68BA.jpeg

Got the recipe handy? Is it in the brew day thread?

52 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Next time make it more authentic and put a chicken in the mash. 

yeah it was a bit of mistake with a rush to get some beer in the keg. which made it a bit too soupy. plus a little bit too much in the cube hop. There must be a lot of oils in Vic secret.

I will be using this hop again though in a similar beer just a bit more subtle me thinks. 

Ill tell my mates to come round for a juicy beer and they'll be all over it.

Lucky I have another two in the FV ready to go.

I am in Shepparton and I am having a nice pale ale from Social beast. Very fruity and good balance with enough malt to carry the hops without overshadowing them.

I am sure my Kilowog Krush has been crushed and finished so hopefully I can keg my Professor Simarillo and the Azacca Warrior on Tuesday or Wednesday to be ready to drink on Friday.

20190404_201157.jpg

• Like 3

Currently enjoying a combo of the Cascade SFWH beer & a little MJ's APA kit beer from the keg. The SFWH beer is really terrific. Definitely one of my best beers ever, I plan to model any future extract pale ales on that premise from here on. If I use a partial mash, I'll have a different approach due to wanting a boil of at least 60mins. The MJ's APA kit beer is good too. Has good hop & malt flavour even at 23 litres brewed & given I didn't throw much at it in terms of extra hops, if I was going to do a kit brew of the APA style I'd likely use it again given it's price point.

I'm amazed there was any of the SFWH Pale left after the weekend as one of my mates absolutely smashed it all day Sunday.

Cheers & good brewing,

Lusty.

• Like 4

Absolutely smashing it in here. Well done everyone. I'd lay my money down for glass of any one of these brews. The passion and love put into these beers shows.

Wish we could get these beers into a pub!

• Like 3

On 4/2/2019 at 11:28 PM, The Captain!! said:

...I’ll bitter with something like Nelson which I think will pair well with the fruity and pine aspects of vic secret. Also less in late and more mid boil to bring out the pine a bit more.

Yoda_CatPee.jpg

😜

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Beerlust said:

Yoda_CatPee.jpg

😜

Cheers,

Lusty.

HA ha ha haha nice one Lusty, I had thought about that. I never want any of my beers to taste like a lager.

The Vic Secret beer is actually quite nice, I just under estimated the potential of the hop itself. It is so far over hopped it could possibly give me a nose bleed.

Over the last few days I've tried to have a few and it has mellowed a little but its still OTT.

However this is the joy of starting a new recipe. Seeing how the beer performs ill do some adjusting and get it better as its a hop that I am very much enjoying. Once I nail this recipe ill send ya a bottle.

• Like 1

Side by side taste test:

Little Creatures Rogers' Beer against my Roger Roger Amber Ale - Mine was more inspired by the Coopers recipe Roger, Roger Ale.  Which one do you think is mine?

The Rogers' has lower ABV of 3.8% and a citrus hop aroma.

My Roger Roger Amber uses APA can and Family Secret Amber can, Vic Secret and Topaz hops for a more fruity aroma.  4.6% ABV.

IMG_1133.thumb.JPG.25a2b609a63cf5db34438e21be635ced.JPG

Mine is on the left and I prefer it.  Not biased.  Both good beers though.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, The Captain!! said:

HA ha ha haha nice one Lusty, I had thought about that. I never want any of my beers to taste like a lager.

The Vic Secret beer is actually quite nice, I just under estimated the potential of the hop itself. It is so far over hopped it could possibly give me a nose bleed.

Over the last few days I've tried to have a few and it has mellowed a little but its still OTT.

However this is the joy of starting a new recipe. Seeing how the beer performs ill do some adjusting and get it better as its a hop that I am very much enjoying. Once I nail this recipe ill send ya a bottle.

This makes me just a bit worried about my Coopers NEIPA with Vic Secret, Topaz and Amarillo:  120g combined steep; 70g day 4 dry hop and 60g day 7 dry hop.  In bottles waiting for a tasting next weekend.

By the way, this beer was more danky than fruity when bottled.  @The Captain!! has described this before.  Maybe the dankness becomes more prevalent in greater amounts.

Edited by Shamus O'Sean

3 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

This makes me just a bit worried about my Coopers NEIPA with Vic Secret, Topaz and Amarillo:  120g combined steep; 70g day 4 dry hop and 60g day 7 dry hop.  In bottles waiting for a tasting next weekend.

I wouldn't worry too much, the Amarillo will save you mate. 😉 Although I haven't used it a lot, Topaz appears a little different to the cat pee spectrum too.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1

I think this pale ale will benefit from some more time conditioning cold but early signs are good. This tends to happen a bit with these beers when I try them a day after putting the keg in the fridge but after a few days to a week they smooth out. 

Nice and balanced, fruity, and head retention is much better, even got some lacing down the glass. 

• Like 2