Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - WHAT ARE YOU DRINKING IN 2019?

Titan

On 5/10/2019 at 10:39 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

I have tasted one of the half carbed at each month so far.  The last taste test included one of the standard carbed.  It was way over carbonated.  Not as bad as @Bearded Burbler's but 50% foam.  At least bottle did not gush.  The half carbed bottles have been great.

Hey there Shamus - interestingly my super-carbed Hefeweizen never gushes.... nice puff of carb when you pop the top off.... but then there it sits waiting happily and quietly in the bottle .........  just does not like being poured out 😜

That's when it gets all angry!?! 

• Haha 1

On 5/11/2019 at 9:26 PM, porschemad911 said:

Good evening for some mead... 

What recipe did you end up using John?

Yeast ?

Water-Honey ratio?

I have yet to get glass demi-john plus bubbler.... might also be better waiting for the warm times?

Got plenny honey!

Cheers. BB.

I tried a glass of my big stout yesterday evening. It's really rich in flavour, good hit of roast, with some chocolate and coffee notes underneath. No alcohol taste, but being aged since November last year I wouldn't expect it. Does have a warming effect though 😜. Very full bodied as you'd expect from a beer with an FG of 1.020/21. Literally a meal in a glass. Head is tan/brown and retains well down the glass. 

This keg was carbonated on the same pressure and time as the red ale, and as I expected the carbonation level is lower than it is in the red, although I expect it will increase a bit with more time on serving pressure but not by much. Perfect for the style. No need for dual pressure regulators here. 😎

My replacement temp probe wires arrived today so if I have any time before the weekend I'll fix the controller and get the next batch going. Could probably wait until Saturday though, still gotta do the yeast starter for it.

Cheers

Kelsey

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

What recipe did you end up using John?

Yeast ?

Water-Honey ratio?

I have yet to get glass demi-john plus bubbler.... might also be better waiting for the warm times?

Got plenny honey!

Cheers. BB.

It was around 3 - 3.5 kg local raw honey made up to about 10l with water heated to 40C. What I do remember is that the OG was 1.112. I pitched Coopers kit Ale / lager yeast blend slurry, which eventually gave up the ghost at 14.3% ABV. 

The 750ml PET improved as it sat in the fridge for a few days, so could use a year or 2 more aging I reckon. 

Cheers, 

John 

• Like 1

I thought I posted this, but never hit submit. This is my review of Lusty's SFWH Pale Ale.

I found the SFWH cascade pale ale to be a nice drop with no off flavours and very clean and crisp. I picked up a fair amount of grapefruit, I believe, I could tell it was citrusy and a little bite that grapefruit provides, for my tastes.

I feel that, to me, it was similar to a beechworth pale ale, with good malt backbone and enough flavour from the hops. Very balanced and good drinking.

I did pick up the crystal malt, even though it only had 300g, it gave it a crunch? I am bad at describing the flavours but I feel that it or another malt helped make this beer. I don't like a lot of crystal malts in my beers but this one fit the brew well. I made me think twice about not using crystal malts. For me I would drop it to 150g, for  my tastes...But as we all know our tastes change so I could see adding more as I warm to the malts.

Overall, I liked it and felt that it was a good beer that I would be glad to drink and order at the bar. If I had to give an improvement to the beer I would say it could handle a little more hops, but as it was a SFWH I feel that the aroma and flavour carried through extremely well.

Thank you Lusty, it was a pleasure to drink this. I will return the favour and up my game!

Cheers

Norris

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Thanks again for the kind words Norris. If Coopers gave out a kindest bloke award on this forum, you'd probably get it right now. I can't think of a time you've said a bad word about anyone here on the forum, & that is a credit to you. 🙂

I didn't realise it until we spoke about the SFWH beer I sent you, but the two you've tasted were hopped at very different ends of the spectrum, so it's been really interesting from my standpoint about your overall views of them.

30 minutes ago, Norris! said:

...I will return the favour and up my game!

You're already a good brewer Norris. You're still evolving & I'm enjoying reading your posts as you do. 😎

Apart from my lips, you're the only one that has sampled that SFWH beer. I bottled one for Ben10 too, but then he just disappeared from posting on the forum. 😢

Cheers,

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Thank you Lusty. I found out about this forum when I started brewing, down under, and I was relieved and amazed at the respect and banter given on this forum versus some others. I only want to keep the forum like that, so I TRY to laugh off any perceived barbs and take on any advice with a smile and a thank you.

It is too easy to give a compliment when the beer is good!

I have been on other forums that are filled with know all's and jerks that made it hard too WANT to share or even read. Thank you for the kind words Mate.  Because of you and plenty of others my beers have improved and now I am drinking and making what I love to drink! I probably would of quit a year or so ago if not for this forum.

Norris

• Like 6

4 hours ago, porschemad911 said:

It was around 3 - 3.5 kg local raw honey made up to about 10l with water heated to 40C.

Did you keep it warm John or just pitch warm?

What sort of temps did you ferment at... my vague idea is that 18deg plus type ambient?

27 minutes ago, Norris! said:

...I have been on other forums that are filled with know all's and jerks that made it hard too WANT to share or even read. Thank you for the kind words Mate.  Because of you and plenty of others my beers have improved and now I am drinking and making what I love to drink! I probably would of quit a year or so ago if not for this forum.

I know I over-step the marks sometimes that puts me in the "know it all's & jerks" category as viewed by members of the forum & mostly I deserve that placement among the ranks.

I would just like to say that my overall intention is only ever to provide constructive options to home brewers & occasionally I feel the need to defend certain truths I've proven firsthand in my practical brewing against sceptical & theoretical viewpoints put up as factual. That's all.

What I do put up is just a personal viewpoint (often based from a lot of reading & practical brewing outcomes) & should just be looked at as such.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Spontaneously Fruiting Welterweight Hop?

Hahahah! Such a great response!Hahaha!

It is a technique that I am pretty sure Lusty or Christina came up with. It stands for short first wort hop, SFWH. Toss the hops in like a normal first wort hop but instead of a 60+min boil, it is a shorter boil at 30 min.

I have to say that the brew I had was nice. No dry hop, I believe, but nice aroma and flavour. So far the technique seems pretty awesome and is something I will be using in some of my brews.

Cheers

Norris

5 minutes ago, Norris! said:

Hahahah! Such a great response!Hahaha!

It is a technique that I am pretty sure Lusty or Christina came up with. It stands for short first wort hop, SFWH. Toss the hops in like a normal first wort hop but instead of a 60+min boil, it is a shorter boil at 30 min.

I have to say that the brew I had was nice. No dry hop, I believe, but nice aroma and flavour. So far the technique seems pretty awesome and is something I will be using in some of my brews.

Cheers

Norris

Glad you had a chuckle Norris... that is one of the best parts of this Forum is having a bit of a laugh every now and then...

And really appreciate your explanation mate - was keen to learn - and I like the above idea.  And that's another big plus of the Forum - learning new tricks and best ways forward.

Sounds like your brew on Lusty's model worked out well.  Good stuff. 

I have this idea that it would be nice to grow some hops - and use the flowers in a nice fresh sparkling ale one day... 

Cheers, BB.

Edited by Bearded Burbler
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Beerlust said:

I know I over-step the marks sometimes that puts me in the "know it all's & jerks" category as viewed by members of the forum & mostly I deserve that placement among the ranks.

I would just like to say that my overall intention is only ever to provide constructive options to home brewers & occasionally I feel the need to defend certain truths I've proven firsthand in my practical brewing against sceptical & theoretical viewpoints put up as factual. That's all.

What I do put up is just a personal viewpoint (often based from a lot of reading & practical brewing outcomes) & should just be looked at as such.

Cheers,

Lusty.

I take most things with a grain of salt and try to research on my own, to trust the advice, but sometimes I take the advice of others because they have been down that path. You know, reinventing the wheel.

As for know-all's, we are all like that to some degree. But this forum is different and no I don't think you fall in that category, especially when compared to other sites.

Trust me on this, while I know other brewers will fill the gap, if you were to leave and never return, but the forum would be less without you and the many others and their contributions. I rather have someone tell me in no uncertain terms what the issue is instead of beating around the bush. The truth might be ugly but it is still the truth. So be you. I like it, sometimes it is annoying, but ALWAYS helpful and makes me think. Never apologise for helping or speaking your mind, Lusty, it makes more for some fun reading! Hahahah

Cheers

Norris

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Did you keep it warm John or just pitch warm?

What sort of temps did you ferment at... my vague idea is that 18deg plus type ambient?

I actually fermented it at lager temps, around 15C for the most part. I used a few litres of 40C water to dissolve the honey and topped up in the fermenter with nice cold Canberra winter tap water. That got it to the mid to low 20s, so I added nutrient, pitched my substantial dose of slurry and cooled the rest of the way to fermentation temp in my Cool Brewing Bag with a few ice bricks.

Cheers, 

John 

• Like 1

I remembered my Doppelbock in the back of the cupboard, bottled just under a year ago. Think I'll have to pop one in the fridge for Friday night. I'm interested to see how it's travelling, I haven't tried one for quite a while now.

Cheers, 

John 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Beer Baron said:

I don’t really like el dorado hops so it will be a quick keg😂

I was trying to make a El Dorado pale for a few mates that have a band called El Dorado, but I couldn't get past the El Dorado flavour and gave up.

I know guys who love it, but its not for me, same as Idaho 7. 

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 8:06 AM, porschemad911 said:

I remembered my Doppelbock in the back of the cupboard, bottled just under a year ago. Think I'll have to pop one in the fridge for Friday night. I'm interested to see how it's travelling, I haven't tried one for quite a while now.

Hopefully it hasn't turned into a whiz fizz fairy floss monster like my Weizenbok?!  😜

image.thumb.png.9308a02ad27cc9497e28fc83c638e6a6.png

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Got a Raw wheat pale on the go, had another gas leak so its not quite ready but as under carded as it is, its still drinking nice. 

I think its a bit bitter for my tastes and water profile but ill reduce that next time and it'll be a cracking beer.

Now off to margs tomorrow to see a wine maker mate about wine barrels.

Edited by The Captain!!

2 minutes ago, The Captain!! said:

Got a Raw wheat pale on the go, had another gas leak so its not quite ready....

Recipe Captain?

Aaaaahhhhh you Keg Legends...

Haven't had too many gas leaks out me Coopers Bottles over the last 20+ years... 😜

as exemplified by the fairy-floss brew above !?!☹️

• Haha 1