Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - WHAT ARE YOU DRINKING IN 2019?

Titan

I am on dat.... dat, dat, dat Dark Ale Toucan 😜

DAT is what is on the bottle lids ; )

As the head settles you end up with a really nice creamy top... and great flavour… Coopers Dark Ale and a Coopers Lager Tin for extra malt and then a little LDME for good measure...

is drinking very nicely on these cooler evenings!

image.thumb.png.3f1edfe797e42429aff0aae87dac28f0.png

• Like 8

Just now, Bearded Burbler said:

I am on dat.... dat, dat, dat Dark Ale Toucan 😜

DAT is what is on the bottle lids ; )

As the head settles you end up with a really nice creamy top... and great flavour… Coopers Dark Ale and a Coopers Lager Tin for extra malt and then a little LDME for good measure...

is drinking very nicely on these cooler evenings!

image.thumb.png.3f1edfe797e42429aff0aae87dac28f0.png

Hi BB,

How long have you aged it? I bottled a stout/dark ale toucan yesterday.

10 minutes ago, Hilltop hops said:

Hi BB,

How long have you aged it? I bottled a stout/dark ale toucan yesterday.

Hey Hilltop Hops (what a great forum name!!!)...

Maaaaate you ask all the hard questions ; )

I am in between computers - day two of new notebook... w none of my records on it... just got monitor set up done etc etc blah blar blaaardy blah... 

So havna got me records... aaaaaaaaah the trusty Cardboard Calendar says 6 March.... aaaah yes was bottled Ash Wednesday.... so mate seriously is only two months down but is just drinking sooo well...

It is a terrible disgrace but most of the DAT has gone already - think I have only halfa dozen left...  honestly from the first bottle on it was good... I have a strange idea that it has got more 'creamy' over time  but that is a difficult parameter to measure and to monitor 😝

I would definitely suggest leaving it for 14 days before beginning 😂

Mmmmm as long as you have good temps 18+ for secondary ferment though hey.

Cheers. BB

10 minutes ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Great pic Otto 

does the dad brew ?

Maaaaaaaaaaaaate…. why would he need to... can just pop round n see the young fulla and get whatever brewskis he would ever need!!!!!!! 🤣

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Red ale. This batch interestingly has much better head retention than the last one did. Still a nice thin layer on it getting down to the second half of the glass.

20190518_115337.thumb.jpg.751be3695a4dc7e33e53b7fad199caf7.jpg

Nice looking beer again mate. 😎

Kelsey's Red Ale is a really nice drop. I know this firsthand as a number of years ago, I conjured up an extract/partial version after he looked over my conversion of his full AG recipe.

RedSquaw_RedAle.jpg

Obviously mine wasn't as clear as the creator's as I didn't throw any fish guts in mine. 😜 Still tasted lovely though. 🤤

If you're struggling for ideas over the colder months for something to brew, maybe give Kelsey's Red Ale a go. These types of beers are really nice to drink around this time of year in AUS.

Cheers,

Lusty.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Great pic Otto 

does the dad brew ?

No, although about 20 years ago one of his friends gave him a fermenter and a few other necessary things, and the first batch we did together was a Coopers stout. We did a few other different kits, then he bought a new fermenter at some point and put a ginger beer in it. That then sat there for 7 years 😂. I didn't brew any more when that one was put down because I thought the old fermenter was thrown out. In late 2011 I found it in the garage and started up again and obviously still going. Pretty sure it's still sitting in their garage. 

Unfortunately he has diabetes, which means alcohol consumption needs to be quite low, along with heart disease, emphysema from smoking as well as fibrosis of the lungs (brought on by a bout of pneumonia a few years ago) which has limited physical activity. Fibrosis can't be reversed and gradually just gets worse, but tests have shown it to be stable so far. We don't know how long he has left, but hopefully he'll be around long enough to meet his grandchildren when the time comes.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, PaddyBrew2 said:

Sounds like a good bloke Otto.  They say the Apple never falls far from the tree. No surprise then that you are also sound as a pound 

…. you Paddies certainly do have the gift of the gab!  Like our old mate Ned Kelly!  Well done cobber!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

emphysema from smoking...

Canna tell yer how to run your shop Kelsey but me best ever contract Dozer operator saw him dead in the bed from too many durries... was a wonderful fella.

A ciggy and a beer go together so well... but sadly it ain't so good for us... just a thought...  might be time to park them up.

Anyway....  not trying to have a go at anyone... and as one old mate said a few years ago..

the only person in the world yer can change is yerself and I need to lose a few kilos and pick me own game up.... 

2 hours ago, Beerlust said:

Nice looking beer again mate. 😎

Kelsey's Red Ale is a really nice drop. I know this firsthand as a number of years ago, I conjured up an extract/partial version after he looked over my conversion of his full AG recipe.

for us web-challenged types... where could we find Kelsey's Red Ale recipes... both AG and partial?

I stopped a couple of years ago (the avatar is from about 5 years ago), aside from the odd one once in a blue moon I don't smoke anymore. Should never have taken the shitty habit up but can't go back and change it now. Dad smoked 2 packs a day for about 25 years, but back then the dangers weren't known. Mum smoked as well but hasn't really had any issues, funny how genes work. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

A ciggy and a beer go together so well... but sadly it ain't so good for us... just a thought...  might be time to park them up.

I smoked for 15 odd years. Not a heavy smoker by any means, but when I got on the gas, yeah I'd chew through 'em. I won't lie, I actually enjoyed smoking on some level.

The ad campaigns on TV started to become more prominent & I started to think about smoking & the damage it was probably doing to my innards. I didn't stop smoking any less though. Then on a random visit to my regular doctor who had been my doctor since I was an infant, he took my blood pressure as he did intermittently & said it was a little higher than usual. Never had he asked me before, but he asked if I was a smoker. I said yes I am. He asked how long I had been smoking for, that I also told him. We got discussing the long term effects of smoking & I didn't like what I was hearing.

The bottom line among everything he said that day was some scientific studies relating to the longevity of smokers who continue to smoke vs those that quit at certain age intervals. From the literature he was quoting from he said I would add approx. 8 years to my eventual life expectancy if I quit at that time in my life. I was 31 at the time. What he said was all I needed to give up smoking. Shortly after, my father, mother, sister & I made a pact to give up smoking & all bar my sister, Mum, Dad & I have never had a cigarette since.

27 minutes ago, Bearded Burbler said:

for us web-challenged types... where could we find Kelsey's Red Ale recipes... both AG and partial?

Kelsey posts his Red Ale recipe in the Brew day thread about every 6-8 weeks on average. 😉

Cheers,

Lusty.

Edited by Beerlust
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/10/2019 at 6:43 PM, Beerlust said:

Being an Irishman, I'm guessing you've seen proper Guinness poured?

why is it the further west or South West you go the Guinness gets better .... found the Guinness far better in Kerry, Clare, Galway and Connermarra than around Dublin, Waterford, Wexford or even the North in Belfast and surrounds ... I have been there loads of times, seven or eight, as my kids mother is Irish and visited her parents often in the 19 years we were married ... they would look after the kids and we would go driving around for a couple of weeks staying in B&B's probably seen more of Ireland than most Irishmen ...  

Edited by MartyG1525230263
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

why is it the further west or South West you go the Guinness gets better .... found the Guinness far better in Kerry, Clare, Galway and Connermarra than around Dublin, Waterford, Wexford or even the North in Belfast and surrounds ... I have been there loads of times, seven or eight, as my kids mother is Irish and visited her parents often in the 19 years we were married ... they would look after the kids and we would go driving around for a couple of weeks staying in B&B's probably seen more of Ireland than most Irishmen ...  

I think it’s more to do with the pub you get it. Back home you could have a glorious pint in one pub then go next door and it tastes like dog shite 

keep your lines and taps clean and you’ll get a good pint 

totally agree with what you say. The only reason I’ve seen so much of the country is when the aussies in laws used to come and visit when we were back there in 2014 & 2015. I used to take them all around the country just to entertain them.  They loved the fact you can drive from the west coast to the east coast in two and a half hours 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

There's also an entire thread dedicated to that particular beer 😜

Righto you lot.... have searched endlessly and have found all sorts of Red and Ale hits... found Lusty's adjunct version... but canna find Kelsey's AG Version...

Can someone advise what would the BEST search term be... 'Red AND Ale' did not seem to be a winner... and there are it seems 81 pages of Recipes... 

needle in a haystack stuff... if someone can advise a better way to find things on the community... any advice would be appreciated... Thanks in advance.

19 minutes ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Search for the phrase "my red ale recipe" in topic titles rather than the singular words. 

Thanks Kelsey... made all the difference... had not found the 'topic titles' options... v good.  Thanks mate. 

The Black Malt pretty useful to chase that red hue?

48 minutes ago, BlackSands said:

Desktop companion.  Dipping back into the saison I brewed back in the Summer....

Saison-1.jpg

Whenever I brew a beer can you come and take pictures please. You would make dirty toilet water look good!!

• Haha 1