Coopers Community

RDWHAHB - WHAT ARE YOU DRINKING IN 2019?

Titan

I think its more of a "beer lovers" style of beer.

The Sasion yeast can throw "weird" flavours to some and the addition of fruit to the beer...well its just too much for the great-unwashed-megaswilling consumers to handle😁🤦‍♂️

I had some feedback on this beer last night from a mate who love his craft beers like me. He described it exactly how i had planned it to be.

"Its a sour but not too sour which i like, but it has a strong malt sweetness too. It's almost like a sour and an XPA had a druken night together"

The Rasberries added an aftertaste bitterness to it, that can linger, but it didnt mind it. It was a either like it or not type for most.

I found it very easy to drink...but at nearly 7%...it can creep up on you and hit you hard after a couple of bottles.

• Like 4

Saison’s are paralysing. You like em or you hate them. 

When you try a great one like Fantome and the like you get to understand the complexities that make a beer almost wine like in flavour descriptors. 

I’ve actually turned people that didn’t like my Saison’s with Fantome. Who now go and purchase Fantome on a fairly regular basis 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

You don't have to be a megaswill lover to not like saisons. They ain't my thing either 

Think I am on your way of thinking there OVB... but each to their own hey.

I am not even that fired up about the IPA NEIPA Hop Bomb thing either... 

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 10:27 PM, Shamus O'Sean said:

Yeah.  I should have mentioned that before joining the forum.  When the glass was full you could not tell.  However, this brew is so easy to drink, even at 9.3%, the level in the glass got too low before I took the photo.

Shamus silly question No. 488 mate... but with your 9.3% ABV mate.... are you determining this via Ian's spready or other calc using total fermentables -- yeast type -- OG-FG etc... or are you actually measuring ABV somehow?

2 hours ago, Bearded Burbler said:

Shamus silly question No. 488 mate... but with your 9.3% ABV mate.... are you determining this via Ian's spready or other calc using total fermentables -- yeast type -- OG-FG etc... or are you actually measuring ABV somehow?

I have used a simple app called Brew Tracker since I started brewing.  It has an ABV calculator that uses OG and FG.  Given these numbers the formula would be (OG - FG)/7.619=ABV where OG and FG are in 1,000's.  I add 0.2% for a half dose or 0.4% for a full dose of priming sugar into the bottle.  My RIS was OG 1.092 and FG 1.023. 

IanH spreadsheet predicted OG 1.096; FG 1.020 & 10.4% ABV in the bottle. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I think that is what @RepSpec was getting at with the comment "but at nearly 7%...it can creep up on you and hit you hard after a couple of bottles"

I’m sure that’s what repSpec was getting at. 

I concur. I brew my Saison’s for me. I do give them to others to try but more often than not I drink them myself. And my craft beer loving mates.

• Like 2

Still got my red ale on tap but not sure how much is left in the keg. Threw a 6 pack of Tooheys old in the fridge earlier because the only other beer here is the big stout and it's not exactly sessionable. Will do for tonight but if the keg runs out that's pretty much it until I buy a carton of something next Friday. 

• Like 1

So this is a blend 60/40 of my Nevermind, The Buzzcocks and the rye ipa which doesn’t have a name yet. 

Total of 8 different hops and yet doesn’t taste like a kitchen sink beer like I was expecting. 

To be honest its A bloody good beer. 

2258B8BF-BC7A-41D4-ACA3-7FE02F59F45C.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Otto Von Blotto said:

Threw a 6 pack of Tooheys old in the fridge earlier because the only other beer here is the big stout and it's not exactly sessionable. Will do for tonight but if the keg runs out that's pretty much it until I buy a carton of something next Friday

Not an enviable position for any brewer to be in!  I've managed to avoid buying beer for home consumption for nearly 4 years now.  I just can't face spending the $ when I know how much it costs me to brew it myself.  And I imagine that situation is even less desirable for you given the prices you pay for a carton   😨  

For the same reason I'm seriously considering getting into winemaking as well....

• Like 3

Got through last night and today will be less of an issue since I have work tomorrow. I'm happy to drink the stout for my one beer a night through the week. 

Once we replace the kitchen fridge and I take the old one for a second brew fridge, this problem is unlikely to happen again 😎

• Like 2