Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2021

Shamus O'Sean

11 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Haha there is no being at ease in the Brewery.... well until it is time to head to 'the Wet Mess' haha! Wooohooo 🥳

I reckon the Provost Marshalls would have had you at attention a few times for disorderly behaviour. But then I don't know that you may have been a model soldier until you were in the Mess.

Dosen't matter, Cheers anyway.

• Haha 2

Dry hopped the Berserker Juice with 60g of azacca and 45g of simcoe and then will hit it with 60g of galaxy, citra and maybe some more Azacca. I dont know if Voss Kveik biotransforms but I am doing it to add complexity from the 1st dry hop at 35c to the second one at 17c, it might help it might not, we will see.

• Like 2

Great Northern Super Crisp Lager Clone.

I know, I know.  Before you start, my brother asked for it. Credit to Aussie Brewmakers in Mansfield, Victoria, for the recipe.

• 1.7kg Thomas Coopers Golden Crown Lager
  • 1.5kg Morgans Extra Pale Master Malt
  • 150g Sugar
  • 12g Cluster hops (10 min hop steep, I actually left in coffee plunger for 2 hours before adding to FV)
  • 1 Packet Mangrove Jacks M54 California Lager yeast (I actually made a 1.4L starter with 140g LDM to double the yeast cells - supposed to be good for a lager)
  • 1 Packet, 3g, Enzyme
  • OG 1.045, as predicted
  • Predicted ABV 4.7%
  • Like 5

22 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Great Northern Super Crisp Lager Clone.

I know, I know.  Before you start, my brother asked for it. Credit to Aussie Brewmakers in Mansfield, Victoria, for the recipe.

• 1.7kg Thomas Coopers Golden Crown Lager
  • 1.5kg Morgans Extra Pale Master Malt
  • 150g Sugar
  • 12g Cluster hops (10 min hop steep, I actually left in coffee plunger for 2 hours before adding to FV)
  • 1 Packet Mangrove Jacks M54 California Lager yeast (I actually made a 1.4L starter with 140g LDM to double the yeast cells - supposed to be good for a lager)
  • 1 Packet, 3g, Enzyme
  • OG 1.045, as predicted
  • Predicted ABV 4.7%

Great Northern is not one of my beers, but I reckon @Shamus O'Sean you will do a cracker job of it. They are a good Co. I have ordered stuff from them before.

Cheers.

• Like 2

Hi Legends,

Tweaked my house IPA a bit by trying out Mandarina Bavaria

Partial 15 CSMM IPA
Brewed 15/5/21

Maris Otter 1.5kg
Munich 0.5kg
Caramalt 0.25kg
Coopers Lager can
LDME 0.5kg
Wheat DME 0.25kg
Sugar 0.2kg

HOPS
10 minute additions:
Citra 25g
Simcoe 25g

5 minute additions:
Citra, Simcoe , Mosaic, Mandarina Bavaria 25g each hop
1 litre US-05 starter 
80.25% brew house efficiency
OG: 1.059
IBU: 60.5
Will dry hop 25g each of Citra, Simcoe and Mosaic.
Mandarina Bavaria will get 50g

Hoping to get mandarin/orange from the Mandarina Bavaria 

Cheers

James

• Like 5

Well well, put my Hefeweizen Wheat beer down yesterday in the Fermzilla, woke up this morning to find it was going crazy and had vented out through the spunding valve.

‘Luckily where I place my gauge it is higher than the path the krausen travels, I had to install a blow off tube as the krausen went over all the wall of my fermenting fridge.

Some cleaning and sanitising fixed that problem.

At least it’s fermenting it’s ar#e off 🤣🤣

‘The yeast is Mangrove Jacks Bavarian Wheat Yeast M20 ( 10g ) @ 19 degrees 

Looking forward to this one 🍻🍻

‘Cheers 

B8E9E823-E576-4032-AA3A-6DBD659DD42D.jpeg

0791A2AF-7A62-42DA-8FC8-856D5F76C638.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Having a crack at last months ROTM, Triple Choc Stout. Have to add the cacao nibs later today. Recipe calls for a 100g and
I was thinking of doing 2 seperate bags rather than a single to give better exposure.....or will it be too much. First time using nibs!

Coopers "The Voyage" American Pale Ale. Made this kit twice before and makes a delicious brew. This time I had 28g of Riwaka and 28g of Eldorado left over from another recipe (Fruit of the Woods). So I did what any self respecting home brewer would do and added them to the dry hop, so a total of 130g went in today. Should be a nice hoppy brew!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, UncleStavvy said:

Having a crack at last months ROTM, Triple Choc Stout. Have to add the cacao nibs later today. Recipe calls for a 100g and
I was thinking of doing 2 seperate bags rather than a single to give better exposure.....or will it be too much. First time using nibs!

Hi U-S, You have probably already made your decision by now.  But just to let you know, you could go either way.  The cacao nibs do not expand like hops.  As long as they have a bit of freedom of movement, you should get good results out of them.  The Triple Choc Stout sounded like a nice brew.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

One of these lobbed on my front doorstep yesterday courtesy of Coopers free delivery for orders over $80 last week.  I am glad to hear it makes a good brew.

Yep, one of the better ones I have done. Cheers!

• Like 1

On 5/3/2021 at 7:08 PM, kmar92 said:

I put this brew together on Saturday.

T/C's Preacher's Hefe Wheat x 1.7

Cooper's wheat malt extract x 1.5

Rice malt syrup x 0.5

a dash of LDME, 200g.

I had some Lallemand Munich Classic yeast that was a month or so out of date so I did a yeast starter and added it. Went off like fireworks, you can see the extent of the krausen remaining on the side of the FV. I haven't checked the SG as yet but it wouldn't surprise me if it is well on the way to it's FG. Amazing fruity and banana aromas in the fermentation fridge!

1661e.JPG

Wow, this hefe weissbier has turned out to be an absolute cracker. I have had some problems with the carbonation but, I think that has been solved. Beautiful banana esters giving it that unique hefe weissbier taste and aroma. Perhaps not as cloudy as a Weihenstephaner, but it really tastes like one. It would be a great beer for a hot summer's day. Best consumed whilst it is young, so I will work hard on that! The Lallemand Munich Classic yeast is certainly something that I will use again.

1664e.JPG

• Like 9

4 hours ago, kmar92 said:

Wow, this hefe weissbier has turned out to be an absolute cracker. I have had some problems with the carbonation but, I think that has been solved. Beautiful banana esters giving it that unique hefe weissbier taste and aroma. Perhaps not as cloudy as a Weihenstephaner, but it really tastes like one. It would be a great beer for a hot summer's day. Best consumed whilst it is young, so I will work hard on that! The Lallemand Munich Classic yeast is certainly something that I will use again.

1664e.JPG

Looks nice 👍 

Just moved into a new house... well, actually it's a very old house, but a new residence!  Beer stocks ran very low during the intervening weeks so I threw together a quick low-ABV,  Voss-fermented (35ºC) K&K yesterday.  I've hopped-up the Dark Ale tin in the past to good effect so thought I give it another shot:

• Coopers Dark Ale
  • 1.2kg LME
  • 25g Fuggles @5min
  • 25kg Styrian Goldings @5min
  • 25g Fuggles (steep)
  • 25g Styrian Goldings (steep)

Looks like it's already at or close to FG after a day and a half so if it's a stable FG I'll probably CC tomorrow.  I'll give it a few days chilled and fined and then probably into bottles on Monday afternoon.   😎

Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 7

22 hours ago, kmar92 said:

Beautiful looking HW KMar @kmar92 KMar - really lovely - glad the Lally worked for you - I reckon it is a goodun - and I think @Shamus O'Sean was happy too with his recent Lally HW drop Shamus?

I just did my HW AG Wort today - cooling now - and I am going to pitch slurry tomorrow all going well - and am going to use my Coopers FV - as last time I used the SS vessel and had a major spit the dummy mess with brew everywhere...  the Coops FV has more volume so should be better.   To fit or not to fit - the K Collar - is the question! 🤔

Also @kmar92 last time I did secondary ferment in the Keg - three weeks - so had loads of yeast.... so was plenty cloudy... photo below probs clearest it got at the end of the keg... coulda got more yeast by shaking the keg but was in too much of a hurry for another slurp 😋

As it is pretty cold now and am not that keen to hafta keep the keg warm I might do what you did and just gas it up and see how it goes...  I was all set to do the old @PB2 halfa cup of sugar in the keg and natural carb up... but my store spaces are all pretty cool now that Autumn has finally arrived so might be best to 'go with the seasons'. 

One thing tho - am equally happy to drink HW when it is cold or hot haha ; )

image.thumb.png.9794ead933d0a8838dda06d2c5abc8bf.png

• Like 5

Just put this down. Continuing with my honey kick.

Pseudo Honey Lager #2

1.7kg Coopers APA
750gm light LME 
350g Honey 9.8%
750gm Vienna
300gm Horton Munich
200gm carapils 5.6%
15gm Mt Hood x 20 min
30gm Motueka x 5 min
10mL Clarityferm
14gm Coopers Ale/lager blend. 
23L 
15g each Mt Hood & Denali dry hop x 48 hours

Cheers,

Christina

• Like 4

5 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:
Just put this down. Continuing with my honey kick.

Pseudo Honey Lager #2

1.7kg Coopers APA
750gm light LME 
350g Honey 9.8%
750gm Vienna
300gm Horton Munich
200gm carapils 5.6%
15gm Mt Hood x 20 min
30gm Motueka x 5 min
10mL Clarityferm
14gm Coopers Ale/lager blend. 
23L 
15g each Mt Hood & Denali dry hop x 48 hours

Cheers,

Christina

Looks great Christina. What temp will you ferment that one at? Going the lower end I guess to allow the lager yeast to dominate...

Does the honey impart a noticeable flavour in the beer? The motueka will go really well in that recipe; I think it’s a great hop. I’ve had it in a summer ale and it’s really nice. 
Hope it goes well. 

Cheers TB

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Graubart said:

Beautiful looking HW KMar @kmar92 KMar - really lovely - glad the Lally worked for you - I reckon it is a goodun - and I think @Shamus O'Sean was happy too with his recent Lally HW drop Shamus?

Hi GB, yours and @kmar92's HW look outstanding.  Lovely hazy golden colour.  I was happy with the LMC yeast.  However, mine is clearing up a lot.  After I filled a glass last night it came out pretty clear.  I gave the 1/5 full keg a bit of a jiggle and the second glass had a bit more haze in it.  But nothing like yours or Kmar's.

Do you end up fitting your Krausen collar?  I would have, given my experience with a half batch in the Craft kit.  What temperature are you fermenting at?  When I do it again, I will increase to at least 20°C.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Do you end up fitting your Krausen collar?  I would have, given my experience with a half batch in the Craft kit.  What temperature are you fermenting at?  When I do it again, I will increase to at least 20°C.

Hey there @Shamus O'SeanShamus yeah I reckon for that HW the secondary ferment in the keg helped w suspended yeast load as well as no cold crashing prior to kegging... cannot remember whether you cold crashed yours?

Am shortly going to decant and pitch after overnight cool and flocc.... and yes I am going to fit the KK for the first time in years - after seeing @kmar92 KMar's Festival of Froth and being reminded of my SS FV Dummy Spit.

I am going to stick with 18 - I think it was a warmer ferment last time as was running at ambient and its own exothermic ferment reaction heating but now I have to use temp control and warming plate in the brew fridge as Autumn has finally kicked in....  and think 18 should be good enough...  I don't want it to go toooo berserk haha ; )

• Like 2