Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2021

Shamus O'Sean

On 5/7/2021 at 6:36 PM, MitchBastard said:

First pic, My kolsch went to keg today. Tasting great. Looks ok to. Should be an absolute cracker after some cold conditioning. 

second pic. German pilly nearing its FG. Very clear already and it hasn’t even been cold crashed yet. 

58651CC5-89D3-45B9-95E9-79CCCB0FF091.jpeg

190AC39C-A14A-4D64-ABFC-5A3ABD8ACF2D.jpeg

the clarity on both are exceptional mate    specially your second on in the fv that hasnt been cold conditioned yet

hopefully they taste as good as the look

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Boot Straps said:

Next cab off the rank:

Coopers Beekeeper, this looks pretty straight forward, one of the guys at work keeps bees so I got the honey off him.

• 1 × Thomas Coopers Preacher's Hefe Wheat (1.7kg)
  • 2 × Light Dry Malt (500g)
  • 1 × 335g Beerenberg's Blue Gum Honey
  • 1 × Munich Yeast Sachet (or use the brew can yeast) - I used both

01 Beekeeper.jpg

02 OG 1042.jpg

Looks pretty good @Boot Straps should have some grunt, I have never used honey before, maybe I should as long as it doesn't take over.

Beerenberg Farms is in Hahndorf SA in the Adelaide Hills, I notice you used the Blue Gum honey, are you in SA ?

2 minutes ago, Boot Straps said:

@CLASSICOOps I should have changed that, no I'm in NSW I used a mates honey.

All good, I have been to the Farm many times they have a retail frontage with lots of goodies check it out   www.beerenberg.com.au 

I have used a lot of their products & also sent gifts from time to time.

• Like 1

I pitched the yeast on my NEIPA, I think I pitched Kveik...I need to label my yeast better...check this space in about a week to see if I pitched the right yeast or have a horrible estery phenolic brew, since it is at 35c, if it ain't Kveik this brew is done for. Fingers crossed

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Stickers said:

oh and the partial was 1kg of pale malt, one hour mash at 70 in 3 litres and 30 min boil (5 litres)

do you do it on 70 for the body of the beer? I recently done a partial on 68 to 69 whole hour and found didn't get as many sugars as planned from it but body is great.

i find that at or around 70c gives me a good result. i don't worry too much if there's a slight temperature variation. the induction cooktop i have heats to about 70c in 8-9 mins then i pop the pot in pre-warmed oven and strain/sparge it to 5 litres an hour later. boil for 30, rest 20, chill 15 and good to go into FV with the kit and kilo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pitched my S189 starter into my Mt Hood Pilsner Wort on Monday morning seems to be very happy and healthy at 13 degrees. Should be interesting first time using S189 and MT Hood can’t wait.

98DB3A27-E560-43ED-84E1-454393B44B84.jpeg

• Like 5

On 5/12/2021 at 11:41 PM, RDT2 said:

Pitched my S189 starter into my Mt Hood Pilsner Wort on Monday morning seems to be very happy and healthy at 13 degrees. Should be interesting first time using S189 and MT Hood can’t wait.

Wow RD that looks blllllardy beautiful - S189 supposed to be v good from what I hear - and you have got a nice lot of volume in your Coopers FV too.... beautiful.   Good luck with your Brew!

And great to see that those XXXX Gold tinnies are still being put to best use mate ; )

Edited by Graubart
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CLASSIC said:

Looking good Barra, I can't see how any one could criticise the Woolies brand as you have shown some good photos of it.

Cheers.

Thanks, Classic. I read somewhere that an employee of Woolies said the extract came from Toohey's. It tastes good to me or I would not have chosen a second crack at it, but with some added extra/s.

• Like 2

Just now, Barramullafella said:

Thanks, Classic. I read somewhere that an employee of Woolies said the extract came from Toohey's. It tastes good to me or I would not have chosen a second crack at it, but with some added extra/s.

Keep us posted on the difference with the addition of the adjuncts, sure it cost a bit more but a better beer.

It makes sense if you bought a second one & good luck with it.

Cheers.

3 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Keep us posted on the difference with the addition of the adjuncts, sure it cost a bit more but a better beer.

It makes sense if you bought a second one & good luck with it.

Cheers.

Yes, I will make the comparison and report. I keep a diary of the brews plus over the four weeks in the bottle.  Of the brews thus far, not including the dark ale, the OS Real Ale has a real darker colour and taste to the draught and lagers [ale yeast]. 

1 minute ago, Barramullafella said:

Yes, I will make the comparison and report. I keep a diary of the brews plus over the four weeks in the bottle.  Of the brews thus far, not including the dark ale, the OS Real Ale has a real darker colour and taste to the draught and lagers [ale yeast]. 

I have been experimenting ( usually with some sort of guidance from the more learned ones ) with different yeasts rather than what comes with the tin, they do make an amazing difference, provided you adhere to the recommended brewing temperatures. It is all good fun.

I too keep a stringent exacting record of all of the brews made & statistics for future reference. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CLASSIC said:

I too keep a stringent exacting record of all of the brews made & statistics for future reference. 

All that good Army training and discipline finally being put to good use Phil @CLASSIC hey at last ?

Luvyerwork

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Graubart said:

Wow RD that looks blllllardy beautiful - S189 supposed to be v good from what I hear - and you have got a nice lot of volume in your Coopers FV too.... beautiful.   Good luck with your Brew!

And great to see that those XXXX Gold tinnies are still being put to best use mate ; )

Thanks mate happy with it so far started to smell like a lager today🤣 Yes mate the tins doing their job you seem to have taken a shine to them.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RDT2 said:

mate the tins doing their job you seem to have taken a shine to them.

Yes mate fer sher - they would make really good target practice ; )

But probs best taken out of the fridge to let warm up for maximum festive effect? 🤔

Edited by Graubart
  • Haha 1