What's in Your Fermenter? 2021

Shamus O'Sean

23 hours ago, Red devil 44 said:

We could have yahoo serious as our PM 

Or yahoo's cousin U.R. Ridiculous. 

Definitely not M.T. Rediculous though! 🤬 🤣

Edited by iBooz2

On 5/25/2021 at 6:38 AM, Barramullafella said:

.......put down a Woolies Lager 1.7 + 1kg LDM + 250gm dextrose + 25 lt H2O + kit yeast. That thing powered up in a few hours. The OG = 1.034 and aiming for a 3.7 % ish abv. 

Day 6 shows a FG of 1.007 this morning. Will check again tomorrow morning and if same I shall bottle. Works out at 4.1% abv a little more than I expected but happy with it.

After eventually making a CCA yeast starter that didn't smell like eggs I put together another Coopers Best Extra Stout recipe. I tweaked it a little by adding a little extra dark malt and less dextrose and made it to 25 litres so it's more sessionable.

Less than 24 hours in and look at that crazy krausen. 🍻😁

IMG20210530072626.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Barramullafella said:

Day 6 shows a FG of 1.007 this morning. Will check again tomorrow morning and if same I shall bottle. Works out at 4.1% abv a little more than I expected but happy with it.

@Barramullafella  Is this the first brew you have added the LME ? I know you said you would try it, since I have been using it I haven't looked back  as the difference is amazing.

I am sure you will notice when you bottle. 

50 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

After eventually making a CCA yeast starter that didn't smell like eggs I put together another Coopers Best Extra Stout recipe. I tweaked it a little by adding a little extra dark malt and less dextrose and made it to 25 litres so it's more sessionable.

Less than 24 hours in and look at that crazy krausen. 🍻😁

Looking good Muzzy, I haven't tried that particular one, it seems the only difference to normal Stout is replacing the BE3 & using Thomas Coopers DME & 1kg Dextrose,

In mine I used the Coopers Stout 1.7kg, 1 x 1.5 Coopers Wheat Malt Extract & 500g LDME to 20 litres & it's got wings !

I have also done the Toucan Stout so I would be interested to try the one you made, nice Krausen, good luck with it.

Cheers.

5 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

@Barramullafella  Is this the first brew you have added the LME ? I know you said you would try it, since I have been using it I haven't looked back  as the difference is amazing.

I am sure you will notice when you bottle. 

The one I bottled last weekend is the first I used 1kg LME in the blend. This one I used 1kg DME + 250gm dex' to keep the ABV up a little. Eager to try the Woolager Plus in a another week or so as a test sample lol, and this one [Woolager Malteaser] will be bottled I'd guess tomorrow night.

18 minutes ago, Barramullafella said:

The one I bottled last weekend is the first I used 1kg LME in the blend. This one I used 1kg DME + 250gm dex' to keep the ABV up a little. Eager to try the Woolager Plus in a another week or so as a test sample lol, and this one [Woolager Malteaser] will be bottled I'd guess tomorrow night.

I don't actually add any Dextrose anymore but as we all know the Coopers BE range all have varying quantities of it, even the other brands, Brew Craft, Country Brewer, Brewmaker etc ...

That's why I am a strong  believer the Liquid Extracts are a better option & take your brew to higher levels. This knowledge was of course kindly passed on by some of our more experienced brewers.

Cheers

Coopers Brew Enhancer 1

60% dextrose, 40% maltodextrin (600g/400g)

Coopers Brew Enhancer 2

50% dextrose, 25% maltodextrin, 25% light dry malt (500g/250g/250g)

Coopers Brew Enhancer 3

50% Light Dry Malt, 30% Dextrose, 20% Maltodextrin (500g/300g/200g)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

Looking good Muzzy, I haven't tried that particular one, it seems the only difference to normal Stout is replacing the BE3 & using Thomas Coopers DME & 1kg Dextrose,

In mine I used the Coopers Stout 1.7kg, 1 x 1.5 Coopers Wheat Malt Extract & 500g LDME to 20 litres & it's got wings !

I have also done the Toucan Stout so I would be interested to try the one you made, nice Krausen, good luck with it.

Cheers.

The dark malt makes a big difference to the end result versus the BE3. Not that there's anything wrong with BE3, it's just different. The reason I've used more dark malt this time is because I sourced it from Brewcraft at Salisbury in a 1.7kg pouch. It's much cheaper than Coopers 1.5kg too. Only $9.95.

FYI - @Coopers DIY Beer Team the 6 can limit on extract purchases has forced me to search elsewhere for malt extract. I'm always happy to support the Coopers products but if they're not available I need to find alternatives. 

Edited by MUZZY
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, MUZZY said:

The dark malt makes a big difference to the end result versus the BE3. Not that there's anything wrong with BE3, it's just different. The reason I've used more dark malt this time is because I sourced it from Brewcraft at Salisbury in a 1.7kg pouch. It's much cheaper than Coopers 1.5kg too. Only $9.95.

FYI - @Coopers DIY Beer Team the 6 can limit on extract purchases has forced me to search elsewhere for malt extract. I'm always happy to support the Coopers products but if they're not available I need to find alternatives. 

Brew Craft Torrensville is closer to me & I buy the Mangrove Jack pouches all of the time, they are excellent  ( I still use Coopers ) I use Bill ( Brewmaker ) for different products & he also carries the Mr Beer 1.3kg cans of Extract for the Craft Kits. 

Cheers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CLASSIC said:

Brew Craft Torrensville is closer to me & I buy the Mangrove Jack pouches all of the time, they are excellent  ( I still use Coopers ) I use Bill ( Brewmaker ) for different products & he also carries the Mr Beer 1.3kg cans of Extract for the Craft Kits. 

Cheers.

Salisbury is a long way from where I live but I have family in Gawler so popping into the Salisbury store on the way there is convenient. 

8 hours ago, MUZZY said:

good luck with reply there doesn't seem to be a lot of monitoring anymore in saying that I agree with you. If they want to keep the limit they should always offer the free postage or at least lower it to 5 or $10 for the 6 cans. Then you could at least order 6 tins of different brews along with a seperate order of 6 tins of light and wheat malt. Considering 4 Mr beer tins come with free postage its not too much different to only charge $5 or $10 for 6 slightly bigger ones.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

good luck with reply there doesn't seem to be a lot of monitoring anymore in saying that I agree with you. If they want to keep the limit they should always offer the free postage or at least lower it to 5 or $10 for the 6 cans. Then you could at least order 6 tins of different brews along with a seperate order of 6 tins of light and wheat malt. Considering 4 Mr beer tins come with free postage its not too much different to only charge $5 or $10 for 6 slightly bigger ones.

Yeah, I don't fully understand the economics behind it all, Jamie, but I didn't think it'd be good business to have brewers buying competitor's product.

1 hour ago, MUZZY said:

Yeah, I don't fully understand the economics behind it all, Jamie, but I didn't think it'd be good business to have brewers buying competitor's product.

Your right about that they obviously don't seem to mind for me the fact that the limit remained long after all panic buying had stopped annoys me. I do try to get organised and get everything i need during free shipping but sometimes i just cant plan that far ahead.

• Like 1

The Aus lager has reached its FG. Sitting nice and dry at 1.004. Probably the best batch of this that I have made thus far. Everything you want in a lawnmower thirst quencher.  
for anyone interested, the past three brews, this one, my german pilly and the latest kolsch, all had a slow ramp down with temp during the cold crash. Rather than just dumping it straight down to 1.5, I did incremental temp decreases. Whether it’s a placebo or not, I’m feeling like these beers have a really clean crispness to them I haven’t really gotten out of them before. I’m attributing it to the slower crash. Or maybe just cause they spend longer on the yeast??

win win.

423D268F-5865-44E4-89B1-C930718574A1.jpeg

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Barramullafella said:

Bottled up the Woolager Malteaser last night. Got 32 x PET's . Tasted some of the dregs and it sure tasted like beer. See how it turns out in a cuppla weeks.

Label Woolager Malteaser 20210522.jpg

Well @Barramullafella if the dregs taste like beer you would like to think 2 weeks carbonating would taste even better !

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

The Aus lager has reached its FG. Sitting nice and dry at 1.004. Probably the best batch of this that I have made thus far. Everything you want in a lawnmower thirst quencher.  
for anyone interested, the past three brews, this one, my german pilly and the latest kolsch, all had a slow ramp down with temp during the cold crash. Rather than just dumping it straight down to 1.5, I did incremental temp decreases. Whether it’s a placebo or not, I’m feeling like these beers have a really clean crispness to them I haven’t really gotten out of them before. I’m attributing it to the slower crash. Or maybe just cause they spend longer on the yeast??

win win.

423D268F-5865-44E4-89B1-C930718574A1.jpeg

I don't doubt it's a nice beer, Mitch, but I'm surprised how pale the colour is. Is this the norm for that style? This is not a criticism either, just an enquiry by a novice.
By the way, our Adelaide tap water isn't as clear as that. 😄 

• Haha 3

@Barramullafella you probably already mentioned this but what temps did u get lager down to? Think someone on here already done one that said came out not too bad and had proper lager yeast definitely on my to do list.

Ok my pale ale I just dry hopped with 41 grams mosaic because that's what had left.  In sanitised hop ball with 2 sanitized soup spoons and rubber band connecting them should have got photo. Apon taking gravity reading it's only down 30 points from pitching Friday arvo at 19 degrees and been on 18 ever since.  Started on 1.052 now on 1.022 I've had lagers with re pitched slurry achieve this in same time on 13 degrees. 

Every brew is unique and has trusty old us05 so should come through I just upped temp to 19.5 see if helps finish and clean it up will be expecting 1.014-16 finish minimum. Even with cool nights it's had dressing gown and heater pad keeping it company 😎

20210602_155802.jpg

20210602_155820.jpg

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

@Barramullafella you probably already mentioned this but what temps did u get lager down to? Think someone on here already done one that said came out not too bad and had proper lager yeast definitely on my to do list.

Ok my pale ale I just dry hopped with 41 grams mosaic because that's what had left.  In sanitised hop ball with 2 sanitized soup spoons and rubber band connecting them should have got photo. Apon taking gravity reading it's only down 30 points from pitching Friday arvo at 19 degrees and been on 18 ever since.  Started on 1.052 now on 1.022 I've had lagers with re pitched slurry achieve this in same time on 13 degrees. 

Every brew is unique and has trusty old us05 so should come through I just upped temp to 19.5 see if helps finish and clean it up will be expecting 1.014-16 finish minimum. Even with cool nights it's had dressing gown and heater pad keeping it company 😎

20210602_155802.jpg

20210602_155820.jpg

looking a nice pale and looks like the tradional us 05 krausen       

are you kegging this one @jamiek86   as looks like you have alot of headspace in the coopers fermenter

26 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

looking a nice pale and looks like the tradional us 05 krausen       

are you kegging this one @jamiek86   as looks like you have alot of headspace in the coopers fermenter

yes mate going in the keg so fg isn't as important as if bottled but still think ill get it to go down at least 6 more points. I only just do bang on 20 litre brews now especially because getting too cold to carb bottles properly. Just don't want tasters lying around that I have to worry about trying to keep warm to carb. Find 20 litres is enough to take as many gravity readings as I need fill a keg plus leave enough on bottom to swirl with yeast cake to pour off and save slurry.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

yes mate going in the keg so fg isn't as important as if bottled but still think ill get it to go down at least 6 more points. I only just do bang on 20 litre brews now especially because getting too cold to carb bottles properly. Just don't want tasters lying around that I have to worry about trying to keep warm to carb. Find 20 litres is enough to take as many gravity readings as I need fill a keg plus leave enough on bottom to swirl with yeast cake to pour off and save slurry.

i tend to brew mostly to 23litres   , reason being   is the loss to trub , the loss for gravity readings if not using tilt...     and testing of wort as well in the process

i like a full 19litre keg    thats basicly all i do..

49 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

I only just do bang on 20 litre brews now especially because getting too cold to carb bottles properly. Just don't want tasters lying around that I have to worry about trying to keep warm to carb.

Ya could always send your tasters to me, I would keep them warm and carb them up for you.  Hell I would even tell you what they taste like.😉

Cheers - AL

• Like 1
  • Haha 3