Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2021

Shamus O'Sean

1 hour ago, Graubart said:

Isn't the Spunder supposed to vent by itself @Red devil 44 Reddler?  Or have I missed something here?

you are spot on  Graubart   

The idea of the spunding valve is to ferment no great then what you have it set to  so if the pressure was set at 30psi  and the co2 pressure should not be getting above 30 psi   

if the co2 was above 30psi then their would be co2 coming out of the spunding valve and no need to adjust

Mind you  i dont think a person needs to pressure ferment at 30psi    i usually  set mine anywhere from 5psi -15psi at most

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Graubart said:

Hey there @kmar92 Kmar mate that is the ol Classic Munich I know and love!

@Shamus O'Sean Shamus - did you have the massive fest of frothing ferment when you did yours back then.... you all may remember my frothover that I had to clean up... but yeah I reckon it is a cracking HW yeast and am looking forward to brewing another soon-ish ; )

Hey there Graubart.  I did not get the reaction from the Munich Classic that you did.  It was frothier than the WB-06, but not by much.  Have not got any banana from either the Munich Classic or the WB-06.  Maybe I will brew warmer next time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Graubart said:

Isn't the Spunder supposed to vent by itself @Red devil 44 Reddler?  Or have I missed something here?

You can set the spunding valve to vent at what pressure you want, I normally set mine up on a spare keg with 35PSI in it, then get it to vent off at 30PSI, the PRV on the Fermy is set to around 35PSI or so it says in the instructions 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hey there Graubart.  I did not get the reaction from the Munich Classic that you did.  It was frothier than the WB-06, but not by much.  Have not got any banana from either the Munich Classic or the WB-06.  Maybe I will brew warmer next time.

@Shamus O'Sean I started my ferment at about 20º, mainly because Lallemand say that it's range is 17º - 22º. My thoughts were that it would throw the banana and fruity aromas at it's mid-range. Well it certainly did that but after seeing the krausen it generated after 1 day I lowered the temp to around 18º.

It is still in the FV at day 3 but just looking at it I reckon it is not far off FG. I will take a SG reading tomorrow and see how it is going. Smells divine in the ferment fridge though at the moment!

• Like 1

Hi guys n gals, I'm back in the groove again after a couple of months off. Got another Aldi lager happening in the FV as we type, due for bottling on the weekend. Going to back it up with a ROTM triple choc stout.

• Like 3

first verdant IPA yeast use krausen not as big as expected but that might be from high mashing in partial not many sugars to eat. was at 68 for most of the hour might have been fun old 69 at start 😄. So assuming that high for hour wouldn't get many sugars out to ferment?

20210505_142119.jpg

17 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

first verdant IPA yeast use krausen not as big as expected but that might be from high mashing in partial not many sugars to eat. was at 68 for most of the hour might have been fun old 69 at start 😄. So assuming that high for hour wouldn't get many sugars out to ferment?

20210505_142119.jpg

verdant ipa i have found it to be a little slow in the way of fermenting  ,  but is still an enjoybable yeast to use

30 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

verdant ipa i have found it to be a little slow in the way of fermenting  ,  but is still an enjoybable yeast to use

so as an all grain brewer would my high mash temp for say first 30 min have stopped too much sugar coming out? I should have paid more attention and kept on 65. not expecting very low fg

2 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

first verdant IPA yeast use krausen not as big as expected

looks about what i had going on my couple of verdant batches. be grateful it's not a massive one, it might hang around right up until you keg it

2 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

so as an all grain brewer would my high mash temp for say first 30 min have stopped too much sugar coming out? I should have paid more attention and kept on 65. not expecting very low fg

what was OG? I have not used Verdant but it looks mighty fine to me...  what is temp?

Edited by Graubart

7 minutes ago, Graubart said:

what was OG? I have not used Verdant but it looks mighty fine to me...  what is temp?

1.046 20 litres EB tin plus 2kg ale make mashed mainly 68 degrees for most of hour 69 for first 15 min plus added 250 gram LDM after hop boil. git it on 20 degrees 

Edited by jamiek86
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

1.046 20 litres EB tin plus 2kg ale make mashed mainly 68 degrees for most of hour 69 for first 15 min plus added 250 gram LDM after hop boil. git it on 20 degrees 

Why did you  mash for almost 68°c  then  turn it up to 69°c    i dont see no real benifit  by doing that

If i was to do a partial mash  in a pot  with lid on, i would aim for  your mash to be 67°c   

Then turn off the heat   and wrap the pot with  blankets   such as a sleeping bag 

let it sit for the hour

once the hour is up take your grainbag out   and allow to drain and  just give a gentle squeeze here and there to get the lovely wort to drain  (dont over squeeze)

at the end of the mash  test the temp of mash   it shouldnt  drop to much in heat loss

eg if it finished 65°c its not going to be over dramatic

the mash  should be a consistant heat.

1.046    if you get down to around 1.011 as ya final gravity   that would be ok    

overall looking at ya brew in the pics looks good

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

Why did you  mash for almost 68°c  then  turn it up to 69°c    i dont see no real benifit  by doing that

If i was to do a partial mash  in a pot  with lid on, i would aim for  your mash to be 67°c   

Then turn off the heat   and wrap the pot with  blankets   such as a sleeping bag 

let it sit for the hour

once the hour is up take your grainbag out   and allow to drain and  just give a gentle squeeze here and there to get the lovely wort to drain  (dont over squeeze)

at the end of the mash  test the temp of mash   it shouldnt  drop to much in heat loss

eg if it finished 65°c its not going to be over dramatic

the mash  should be a consistant heat.

1.046    if you get down to around 1.011 as ya final gravity   that would be ok    

overall looking at ya brew in the pics looks good

no mate around wrong way if that what I said it probably started off on 69 for 10 or 15 min and dropped to 68 for at least 30in after that. yes looks and smells good but thinking won't get 5% was hoping for if not enough sugar came out cause too high temp. might just be a thick tasty one with less abv. been 9 years since done partial mash and had to steal a pillow case for It wasn't proper prepared my grain bag never arrived.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

no mate around wrong way if that what I said it probably started off on 69 for 10 or 15 min and dropped to 68 for at least 30in after that. yes looks and smells good but thinking won't get 5% was hoping for if not enough sugar came out cause too high temp. might just be a thick tasty one with less abv. been 9 years since done partial mash and had to steal a pillow case for It wasn't proper prepared my grain bag never arrived.

dropping a degree  wasnt going to upset the apple cart

i dont think you have mashed to high    it will  be in the medium body temp range  just the high end 

what was your grain bed like once finished mashing    was it dry in places?

5 hours ago, ozdevil said:

dropping a degree  wasnt going to upset the apple cart

i dont think you have mashed to high    it will  be in the medium body temp range  just the high end 

what was your grain bed like once finished mashing    was it dry in places?

no idea mate was really hot so not go through it just out pillow case into green bin gave it few good stirs during mash

Edited by jamiek86

First pic, My kolsch went to keg today. Tasting great. Looks ok to. Should be an absolute cracker after some cold conditioning. 

second pic. German pilly nearing its FG. Very clear already and it hasn’t even been cold crashed yet. 

58651CC5-89D3-45B9-95E9-79CCCB0FF091.jpeg

190AC39C-A14A-4D64-ABFC-5A3ABD8ACF2D.jpeg

• Like 7

On 5/6/2021 at 10:41 AM, jamiek86 said:

no idea mate was really hot so not go through it just out pillow case into green bin gave it few good stirs during mash

i scatter my left over grain in the back yard and the local bird life clean it up over a couple of days

5 minutes ago, Stickers said:

i scatter my left over grain in the back yard and the local bird life clean it up over a couple of days

I would have done that if my silly dog wouldn't try and eat it hot or if forget about it for days and starts to stink

• Haha 1

Next cab off the rank:

Coopers Beekeeper, this looks pretty straight forward, one of the guys at work keeps bees so I got the honey off him.

• 1 × Thomas Coopers Preacher's Hefe Wheat (1.7kg)
  • 2 × Light Dry Malt (500g)
  • 1 × 335g Beerenberg's Blue Gum Honey
  • 1 × Munich Yeast Sachet (or use the brew can yeast) - I used both

01 Beekeeper.jpg

02 OG 1042.jpg

• Like 6