Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2021

Shamus O'Sean

@Graubart it'd actually got a small sulphur smell this morning but not as bad as some. I will be doing the slow CC from now on as the old brew fridge is starting to struggle a bit. Seems better since had 4 day rest unplugged but will soon see when time to CC again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Titans19 said:

Since reading on here, I now sit my hydrometer next to my FV with brew in it the whole time. Maybe that's what has been attracting the bugs?

Agree with the above suggestions about giving your fridge a nice clean but I would not bug spray.   Not a good idea given how volatile that stuff is.

Just make sure your fridge internal space is nice and clean and sanitised and no spills lounging about in there. 

Now if there is beer open to the outside - like your hydro - the vinegar fly will be attracted via the lovely fermenting aroma - maybe take hydro out and cap off the cylinder with some alfoil? 

And as for your beer - should be ok leaving it for an extra week (esp no flies) but I myself would drop the temp back a little (but that is my own pref)... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Titans19 said:

Hi all,

Probably a couple newbie questions but I'll ask anyway.

I put down a Coopers Hazy IPA 6 days ago without thinking on going away next week for 10 days. Will there be any issues if I leave the temp at say 19c and leave it in the FV for about 7 days longer than what it should take (14 days)?

Also, when adding hops last night I noticed a small bug around the lid on the FV. Its the new coopers style and was under the outside lip... its not the first time I've seen a bug or small flying insect so was thinking of spraying the fridge with bug spray after this brew. Has anyone done this before and is it a good or bad idea?

Cheers

You will be OK leaving it for that number of days and a few days longer if you want.  You most likely don't want to do bottling on your first day  back.

Cleaning your fridge will not effect your beer. 🙂🙂

Edited by Pickles Jones
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Pale Man said:

I'm pretty sure @Hoppy81 won't mind me sharing this pic. Not my style to share private stuff but this pic is worth a thousand words.

Hoppy has Just put down a big All Grain RIS. About five days ago. From memory it went around 1.100 into fermenters. Here's a sample 3 days in. Head and all. That's just the bloody sample 3 days in ferment. 

From memory he used 5 or 6 grains @Hoppy81 ?

Resized_20210407_211036(1).jpeg

Such an awesome smelling stout. 9 different grains and other fermnetables. 17kg worth in a 58L brew haha, bit too much.

20210402_195442.jpg

20210404_122503.jpg

20210404_122443.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Checked grav on my farmhouse ale yesterdee. Down to 1.010 and I was expecting it lower than that being a diastatic strain. I don’t think it’s finished as it’s only been 5 days, I’m just used to diastatic strains going full HAM in the first 2 days and being done. 

taste wise.....it’s fruity. Certainly not hoppy fruit though.... yeast is throwing off a lot of fruit salad type esters which I haven’t come across before. Best way to describe it because I can’t pick one type of fruit to name. There’s also a decent whack of sourness which you’d expect in a “brett” like strain, didn’t think it would be as sour given the gravity and current pH though. Certainly an interesting one. 

if gravity doesn’t drop any further, I might pitch a bit of lalle belle saison yeast to get those last sugars... maybe even to add some funk....hell I might even rack the bastard to another vessel and let it sit on oak for a while. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Popo said:

All Topaz pale ale on left and Janet's Brown on the left. Both kicking along with some BRY-97 slurry

And for those of you with black & white televisions, the brew on the right is....

I like the sound of the Topaz Pale Ale.  What was your recipe? 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

And for those of you with black & white televisions, the brew on the right is....

I like the sound of the Topaz Pale Ale.  What was your recipe? 

Haha. Yeah - too late for an edit 🤦

Janet on the right. Topaz on the left.

Screenshot_2021-04-12-13-24-43-39_8519c4dc2a8264ed2136a0ecd2840ad5.thumb.jpg.0d152b9dc5d86c08457037210d298cdd.jpg

Brewed to 18L. 50g in the cube as the only addition. Planning to dry hop pretty heavily. Chasing the lychee/tropical fruit flavours and aromas.

Edited by Popo
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Very interested to see what you end up thinking of the above brew.  I did something similar a little while ago.  Init6ially it was overly bitter.  Three months later and it is much better.

I was a bit worried about that. The wort went in to the cube at a touch over 80°C. I use the 20 min hopstand as a bit of a guide but not really sure how accurate it is. I'm hoping that is enough to avoid too much bitterness. I'm yet to take a sample though.

• Like 2

What's in my Ferment?

A NEIPA that's finished up at 1.030 (from 1.064). I re-pitched fresh yeast and its not budging.

I remembered during the boil the thermometer was 90 C. So my guess is the 65 C rest was probably 75 C 🙄  Has anyone used those enzymes to dry beer out?  TBH Thinking this will be heading for the drain (first one  since covid brought me back so can't complain). 

• Sad 2

32 minutes ago, Stickers said:

IMG_7484.thumb.jpg.bd7e7b0886581a5fe4f494c7eed8c532.jpg

cold in melbourne, heatbelt on and my makeshift draught shield is out of the spareroom and back on duty. doing a coopers draught, be3 and a maris otter partial with london yeast under this. 🍻

That sounds like a ripper stickers. I’ve just bought some London yeast to try. Be interested to see what FG you get from that brew. What temp do you have it set to? Good luck with it. 👍

20 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

That sounds like a ripper stickers. I’ve just bought some London yeast to try. Be interested to see what FG you get from that brew. What temp do you have it set to? Good luck with it. 👍

got the inkbird set to 19.8 and -0.5c before it kicks in. three days in and most of the foam has subsided, pretty happy with it so far. going by the ianH spreadsheet this should give me around a 4.7% - nottingham would have been 5.0%

• Thanks 1