Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2021

Shamus O'Sean

On 3/29/2021 at 5:22 PM, Tone boy said:

May your bubbles be plentiful

Cheers Toner haha - hopefully some of the beer waiting for me will be reasonable ; )

I have lost close to 15kg which has been good and makes yer feel a bit better : )    (But I do also need to lose a few more and then keep them off which will be the big challenge). 

Sandman @BlackSands managed to knock 20 off (think that's right Sandy?) not too long ago so he's set the pace for me haha!

I hope I can remember how to pour a beer properly ?!

Edited by Graubart
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Cheers Toner haha - hopefully some of the beer waiting for me will be reasonable ; )

I have lost close to 15kg which has been good and makes yer feel a bit better : )    (But I do also need to lose a few more and then keep them off which will be the big challenge). 

Sandman @BlackSands managed to knock 20 off (think that's right Sandy?) not too long ago so he's set the pace for me haha!

I hope I can remember how to pour a beer properly ?!

Hey Graubster, well done on your weight loss, I am thinking you shouldn't have a whole heap of trouble pouring a beer. 😃

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, CLASSIC said:

Hey Graubster, well done on your weight loss, I am thinking you shouldn't have a whole heap of trouble pouring a beer. 😃

Cheers Big Fella!

Re "remembering how to pour" - well many a true word spoken in jest haha Phil @CLASSIC... I am a bit concerned I have been a bit liberal with my CO2 pressure and taking them up to 20PSI to be sure to be sure... they probs should be around 14PSI... hey @Red devil 44 Kegmaster Red?  Although I think my cobber-in-chasing-fizzy-beer @Norris! Norris also pours sometimes a bit higher like up at 18PSI - Norris is that right?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Barramullafella said:

Tuesday evening I managed to get a Coopers Draught + BE2 + 25lt filtered rainwater into the FV. Temp' 27deg and 1.032 OG. 

Coopers Draught FV 1.jpg

Draught is a good old stand by I have a Wal's Draught Ale from Country Brewer which is a Carlton Draught style recipe;

1 x Wal's Lager

1 x 1kg Brew Booster

1 x 12g Willamette Finishing Hops (Infusion Method)

They do say these recipes do not duplicate the nominated brand but give you a starting point for experimentation.

I bottled about 2 weeks ago & might sneak a taste over Easter.

Good Luck with yours.

20210304_141116 (2).jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Graubart said:

Cheers Big Fella!

Re "remembering how to pour" - well many a true word spoken in jest haha Phil @CLASSIC... I am a bit concerned I have been a bit liberal with my CO2 pressure and taking them up to 20PSI to be sure to be sure... they probs should be around 14PSI... hey @Red devil 44 Kegmaster Red?  Although I think my cobber-in-chasing-fizzy-beer @Norris! Norris also pours sometimes a bit higher like up at 18PSI - Norris is that right?

I do for lighter beers but tend to keep it lower for beers with more body or I get a ton of foam from overcarbonating. It is a fine line that I try to push. You got it, around 14 to 15 psi works good, only 18 if it is a really light beer, but that is my taste only, I habe had 1 friend note they prefer lower carb level, like 2.3 to 2.5 but they did like the added mouthfeel from the carbonation. 

• Like 1

If I do overcarb the keg it can be a slight pain with degassing, but I just pull the pressure release valve and disconnect the gas, then pour from the built up pressure until it is about right. A little inconvenient but that usually handles it.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Norris! said:

If I do overcarb the keg it can be a slight pain with degassing, but I just pull the pressure release valve and disconnect the gas, then pour from the built up pressure until it is about right. A little inconvenient but that usually handles it.

Beaut - thanks @Norris! Norris that's my general solution too mate... and pour into a bucket haha 🤣

Yeah I probably should've just gone lower so might end up decarbing a bit - but a few pours in it should settle hopefully. 

Otherwise, after all this time off the beer... nothing will stop me... I'll be eating it with a blllllarrrdy spoon! 🥳

Edited by Graubart
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Beaut - thanks @Norris! Norris that's my general solution too mate... and pour into a bucket haha 🤣

Yeah I probably should've just gone lower so might end up decarbing a bit - but a few pours in it should settle hopefully. 

Otherwise, after all this time off the beer... nothing will stop me... I'll be eating it with a blllllarrrdy spoon! 🥳

81215101ba2d241d370f41013f9b3f50.jpg

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Norris! said:

If I do overcarb the keg it can be a slight pain with degassing, but I just pull the pressure release valve and disconnect the gas, then pour from the built up pressure until it is about right.

I might also just do a few releases - burp the kegs a bit over the next cuppla days and see if I can drop it down a few PSI that way too @Norris! mate?

• Like 1

On 3/28/2021 at 11:01 AM, ChristinaS1 said:

If you have any questions, let me know.

Hi Christina, my cider still has little bubbles coming up after 11 days. I really want to jump to the next stage and add the acetobacter, but do you think I had better wait until it is absolutely still? 

7 hours ago, John E Miller said:

Hi Christina, my cider still has little bubbles coming up after 11 days. I really want to jump to the next stage and add the acetobacter, but do you think I had better wait until it is absolutely still? 

Hi John. If you add the acetobacter before the yeast have finished converting all the sugar to alcohol the rising levels of acetic acid will slow down, but not stop, alcohol fermentation. In order to prevent bottle bombs, you should let the yeast finish before adding the bacteria. Why not take a gravity reading? 

Cider can take a while to ferment out as it is poor in nitrogen. Did you notice a rotten egg smell? That is a telltale sign the yeast are feeling a bit stressed by the lack of nitrogen. After 11 days it is too late to add nitrogen, so just be patient. It is probably close to being done....But don't worry about the rotten egg smell. It will go away.

If you make cider again one thing you can do to address the nitrogen issue is add nutrients at three key points in fermentation. These are called stepped nutrient additions, or SNA for short. I use boiled bread or beer yeast as the nutrient. Say you are going to pitch 1gm of yeast. Boil an equal amount of bread or brewers yeast (so 1gm) in a bit of water and add that at pitching time.  Then 12-24 hours later, when you see signs of fermentation starting, add a second dose of boiled bread yeast, but at half the dose (so 0.5gm). Finally add a third dose, at the same rate as the second dose,  when the air lock starts to slow, or around day 5-7 (depending on the temp).

Cheers,

Christina.

Edited by ChristinaS1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 3/31/2021 at 8:03 AM, Graubart said:

Cheers Big Fella!

I always ferment in my Fermzilla @20PSI, seems to carbonate well and provides a nice crisp beer.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2021 at 2:41 AM, ChristinaS1 said:

I use boiled bread or beer yeast as the nutrient

Do you fire them up - say dried - in a mild sugary solution first - before adding Christina?

Could I use a dessert spoonful or two of stored beer yeast slurry and boil that?

Just went and got a second fermenter. I hadn't realised the fridge I've got allows for 2Coopers FV's . Bloody fantastic news. I'd been chasing my tail a bit with trying to keep up with consumption but now I'll be set.  Just brewing the Stone and Wood Pacific clone now. 

Morgans Pacific Ale 1.7kg x2

Morgans Master Wheat Malt 1.5kg x 2

200grams Dextrose x2

Late Hop addition at or near FG for 48hours

20grams Cascade 40 grams Galaxy.

• Like 3

Trying something different today.

A Muntons Yorkshire Bitter

Adding some light crystal, steeped and boiled.

A kilo of LDME

25 grams each of Fuggles & EKG.

04 Yeast.

I've never made one of these before, so I'll have to see what happens.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Mickep said:

Just went and got a second fermenter. I hadn't realised the fridge I've got allows for 2Coopers FV's . Bloody fantastic news. I'd been chasing my tail a bit with trying to keep up with consumption but now I'll be set.  Just brewing the Stone and Wood Pacific clone now. 

200grams Dextrose x2

Wouldn't mind trying this

What yeast are you using?

thanks

18 minutes ago, Graculus said:

thanks

18 minutes ago, Graculus said:
43 minutes ago, Mickep said:

200grams Dextrose x2

thanks

I've used US-05 yeast. Pitch Temp at 20 degress C.

I believe you could also use M36 Liberty Bell ale yeast.

Fermented at 18 degrees C.  A couple of points off FG will bump temp to 20DegC  for a couple of days. CC @ 1-2 degrees C for about 4-5 days.

Edited by Mickep
  • Like 2