Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2021

Shamus O'Sean

10 hours ago, Pickles Jones said:

I was surprised how much my beer improved when I got a Fermenting Fridge and connected it up to an Inkbird temperature controller.

Me too.  £40 for the Inkbird.  £30 for a good quality second hand Beko fridge on facebook.  £18 for a 25w heatpad.   A small amount of gaffer tape and a few inches of that sticky window insulation tape.  Add 10 minutes of head scratching and Bob's your Uncle.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just bottled up a Gozdawa German Lager kit.  (Would suggest boosting the fermentables content on this is anyone ever does one - they come out a bit weak otherwise as I've just found out).

Next in the FV is a Cooper's Mexican Cerveza with a Coopers "number 2" enhancer.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, iBooz2 said:

Dropped 2 x cubes of LL into the 58 L kegmenter yesterday for another 44 L batch of my VB clone.  This is the second back-fill / dirty batch done in a row on the DL yeast trub so hopefully my sanitation practices and the brewing gods are with me this time around.  I have never gone to a third batch like this one so fingers crossed.  That will make it 1 x 45 L batch then 1 x 48 L batch and now another 1 x 45 L batch all off the one trub of yeast.  I will not be pushing it any further so next kegging / bottling day will be harvesting some trub for the next starter and giving the SS Kegmenter and good clean out and soak in SP to ensure a fresh start next time.  

The DL yeast gives this beer a more crisp taste than Dubbya so very happy were this beer is at but also keen to try the MJ lager yeast next time for comparison.

Maybe Jump the Shark to the 2022 thread.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2022 at 3:53 AM, Space said:

Just bottled up a Gozdawa German Lager kit.  (Would suggest boosting the fermentables content on this is anyone ever does one - they come out a bit weak otherwise as I've just found out).

Next in the FV is a Cooper's Mexican Cerveza with a Coopers "number 2" enhancer.

Keen to hear how this turns out, what yeast and temp etc you use- the cerveza I mean. I see the rotm uses that as a base

Edited by Liambeer
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Liambeer said:

Keen to hear how this turns out, what yeast and temp etc you use- the cerveza I mean. I see the rotm uses that as a base

I just used the yeast that came with it and it was chuffing like a steam train within 24 hours.  It's brewed itself out in 6 days at a steady 18c.  Today it's stopped blowing, the FV is steady and I'll probably leave it until tomorrow to bottle.   If it turns out as drinkable lager in 3 or 4 weeks time I'll make more of these if only for the lack of fuss and speed you can get it into the bottle.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/21/2021 at 3:16 PM, ChristinaS1 said:
Just put this one on, another one where I am trying to use up odds and ends of hops. I really liked the last one I made, which was dry hopped with Cascades and El Dorado.  We will see how it pairs with Galaxy. This is the last of the El Dorado hops though. 

Galaxy & El Dorado APA
Dec 21, 2021

1.7kg Coopers Euro Lager
1.5kg light LME
650g Vienna 17%
300g Golden Promise malt 7.8%
200g Crystal 15L 5.2%
125g Carapils 3.3%
15g Mt Hood x 20 min
15g Motueka x 5 minutes
24g Motueka & 16g El Dorado @ FO for 20 minute hop stand
28g Galaxy DH
12g El Dorado DH
23L
7g Coopers Ale yeast & 7gm Euro Lager yeast & 1/4 tsp MJ20 Barvarian Wheat yeast dry pitched @ 20C. 

Added just a bit of pinch of MJ20 Barvarian Wheat yeast as an experiment. It is supposed to add a silky mouthfeel (glycerol), vanilla, and banana esters.  Got the idea from internet lore which speculates that Julius's Treehouse uses three dry yeasts, one of them being an unknown wheat yeast. 

Cheers,

Christina. 

Finally getting around to tapping this keg and it is yummy. More dank than my usual Citra, Amarillo & Mosaic based brews, but most enjoyable. I will savour it while I can as there is no way I can repeat it: too many odds and ends. 

Cheers,

Christina.

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

I have a MJ Bavarian Wheat Beer going ATM, put it together on Friday, airlock still working, evidence of a healthy krausen, the Ambi style of FV's are opaque so you really need a torch to see properly.

I haven't used this yeast before but it seems to be going really well - WB-06.  Has anyone had experience with it ?3634_safbrew_wb-06.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

I have a MJ Bavarian Wheat Beer going ATM, put it together on Friday, airlock still working, evidence of a healthy krausen, the Ambi style of FV's are opaque so you really need a torch to see properly.

I haven't used this yeast before but it seems to be going really well - WB-06.  Has anyone had experience with it ?3634_safbrew_wb-06.jpg

I have used it a few times.  Fairly inoffensive Wheat Yeast.  You should get a little bit of clove and/or a little bit of banana depending on your fermentation temperature.  I prefer Lallemand Munich Classic Wheat yeast.  It seems to produce more of the clove spiciness and banana smoothness.  Nothing wrong with WB-06 though.  Some folks, including myself, have alleged that the yeast in the Thomas Coopers Preacher's Hefe Wheat is WB-06.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I have used it a few times.  Fairly inoffensive Wheat Yeast.  You should get a little bit of clove and/or a little bit of banana depending on your fermentation temperature.  I prefer Lallemand Munich Classic Wheat yeast.  It seems to produce more of the clove spiciness and banana smoothness.  Nothing wrong with WB-06 though.  Some folks, including myself, have alleged that the yeast in the Thomas Coopers Preacher's Hefe Wheat is WB-06.

Hey Shamus, always good to get your input & sound advice, the yeast came with the Kit also Tettnanger Hops, it is brewing at ambient fairly constant at 22-25c depending on weather conditions, the brew room stays pretty much the same temp. The description you describe is pretty much on the packet so I guess I will be happy with that. Cheers.

• Like 2

Grav check on the kolsch today. Down to 1.005 which is predicted. I upped the temp a few days ago which finished er of to where it should be. Few more days at 20 then down to 1.5 for a few and ripped through my filter. 
pretty impressed with the k97 yeast. It certainly offers a difference from the koln lally. It’s noticeably less bubblegummy/pear and leans more to a citrus/orange peel type deal…might be useful for a witbier in the future. 

on a side note I’m going to rack off half this batch to my other fermenter and dry hop it. Been wanting a nice easy drinking not to hoppy ale in the mix and feel like this could be the beer to raz up a bit. 

plenty of yeast still in suspension as per the pic. 

CECDC6E3-C914-49BB-AA59-96A1FBDB824A.jpeg

• Like 3

14 hours ago, MitchBastard said:

pretty impressed with the k97 yeast. It certainly offers a difference from the koln lally.

Hey Mitchie @MitchBastard Shamus has kindly started a 2022 Version of the Fermenter Thread... 

I only just worked that out as well - anyway - be good to see your valuable input over there mate... : )

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1