Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2021

Shamus O'Sean

2 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:

It is so sweet it might not need to be in the fridge, but I put it in anyway, just to play it safe. 

Hi Christina,

there has been a recent spate of Coopers Cans of liquid malty product which had mould in it...

Coopers kindly are replacing those... which is good... but that would indicate to me, that you can have an organism colonising this low water high sugar content product.

Hence I would recommend it be kept in the fridge... good call on your part.

I have had mould growing in Maple Syrup too... was not impressed and took it back to the supplier who grumbled but swapped it out for new bottle... guess I should've been refrigerating that as well after opening?  You in Canada probably are more expert at Maple Syrup than me in NSW ; )

Cheers

GGB

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 1

@Graubart We do keep our maple syrup in the fridge at our house, after we open it, but I am sure there are plenty of people who don't. 

The sap is actually running now. Other years we aways visit my wife's cousin and her husband during the sugaring off. They live in the country and tap their trees. We visit in the sugar shack, watching the sap boil and the fire roar.  It is as hot and humid as a sauna in there. Every once in a while Andrew fills our mugs with half finished maple syrup, straight from the kettle, topped off with rum. Now that is a hot toddy! 

Cheers,

Christina.

Edited by ChristinaS1
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Every once in a while Andrew fills our mugs with half finished maple syrup, straight from the kettle, topped off with rum. Now that is a hot toddy! 

Yummo!! 🥳

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:

What kind of apples are they John?

I used to have a little home business making vinegar from apples (we had an orchard) and various other things. The name of my business was "Cottage Vinegar." I sold it at the farmers market. I ended up not making that much money as I live in a small town and it takes people a long time to go through a bottle of vinegar. My basement is full of vinegar I never sold. Maybe it will be really good in 20 years. LOL!

It is hard to make good cider but easy to make vinegar. You can make vinegar from just about anything, but apple cider vinegar was always my best seller (followed by tomato). If you have any questions, let me know.

Cheers,

Christina.

Hi Christina, they are Granny Smith apples.

This is my second attempt at making vinegar, but the first attempt was just with a bottle of homemade cider from a cheap kit (with sweeteners I think). I would have been surprised if it came out decent; I just wanted to get rid of the stuff!

Tomato vinegar hey? I'm keen to get into vinegar if this little batch gives me enough encouragement. The cider is still bubbling away after 8 days.

Are you in America?

3 hours ago, John E Miller said:

Hi Christina, they are Granny Smith apples.

This is my second attempt at making vinegar, but the first attempt was just with a bottle of homemade cider from a cheap kit (with sweeteners I think). I would have been surprised if it came out decent; I just wanted to get rid of the stuff!

Tomato vinegar hey? I'm keen to get into vinegar if this little batch gives me enough encouragement. The cider is still bubbling away after 8 days.

Are you in America?

Hi John. Granny Smith? They are a tart variety. They would be fine to use for vinegar. If you want to make a cider for drinking it would be best to blend them with some less acidic varieties. In any case let the apples get over ripe / soft, so that as much of the starch as possible is converted to sugar. 

I looked at the video you linked to and it is pretty good. The guy knows his stuff.  I agree with what he said about using commercial yeast and mother....Cider and vinegar will mature more quickly if you use beer yeast rather than wine or champagne yeast (produces less acetaldehyde). A juicer like the one he had is a must, but they are expensive. If you don't already own one you might be able to get one secondhand, or borrow one. 

Tomato vinegar is great on French fries! It is good in anything Italian, for marinades, in vinaigrettes, and homemade BBQ sauce. Tomatoes don't contain enough sugar to make a proper strength vinegar; you will have to add some sugar. Fresh garden tomatoes run between Brix 3.5-5.5; cherry tomatoes Brix 6-10. Avoid using plum tomatoes as they are not very juicy. Filter some juice through a coffee filter and use your hydrometer to see what the Brix / SG is. You need Brix 12 (SG 1.048) to make vinegar. If you want to use canned tomatoes make sure it does not contain salt. 

No, I am not in America. I am in Canada. 

Cheers,

Christina.

Edited by ChristinaS1
  • Like 3

The Easy Drinker has gone through the clean-up phase for the yeast to do its magic and with a bit of chillin' Dubbya 34 now has flocc'd out as usual and the brew is looking pretty nice and clear - to be kegged soon:

image.thumb.png.bd9e19317d6246484a59be460a67ee80.png

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Hi John. Granny Smith? They are a tart variety. They would be fine to use for vinegar. If you want to make a cider for drinking it would be best to blend them with some less acidic varieties. In any case let the apples get over ripe / soft, so that as much of the starch as possible is converted to sugar. 

I looked at the video you linked to and it is pretty good. The guy knows his stuff.  I agree with what he said about using commercial yeast and mother....Cider and vinegar will mature more quickly if you use beer yeast rather than wine or champagne yeast (produces less acetaldehyde). A juicer like the one he had is a must, but they are expensive. If you don't already own one you might be able to get one secondhand, or borrow one. 

Tomato vinegar is great on French fries! It is good in anything Italian, for marinades, in vinaigrettes, and homemade BBQ sauce. Tomatoes don't contain enough sugar to make a proper strength vinegar; you will have to add some sugar. Fresh garden tomatoes run between Brix 3.5-5.5; cherry tomatoes Brix 6-10. Avoid using plum tomatoes as they are not very juicy. Filter some juice through a coffee filter and use your hydrometer to see what the Brix / SG is. You need Brix 12 (SG 1.048) to make vinegar. If you want to use canned tomatoes make sure it does not contain salt. 

No, I am not in America. I am in Canada. 

Cheers,

Christina.

Yes, Granny Smith is tart, but the juice tasted pretty good. We have a Fuji tree as well, but the fruit is finished for the season. Good to know about the over-ripening/starch conversion.

That bloke (Glen) is a fellow Canadian. 

This time I just blended the apples to pulp in a Vitamix and strained them through a muslin bag (I only had 10 apples), but it turns out my housemate has an actual juicer. 

Good tips, thanks Christina

• Like 2

The dirty old Lager out of the fridge... the big fat IPA can now have that space for a bit of quiet chillin' 😆

They all look the bllllardy same at the moment it seems, but these two brews will be tasting radically different 😋

image.thumb.png.e63c2b81d0b2321ea56d2e01e2b793a8.png

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 5

Got my two fermenters filled yesterday:

1. Toucan Stout -Used the Fermentasaurus to keep the Krausen at bay. 

1xOS Stout

1xOS Dark Ale

1Kg LDME

500g Dextrose

200g chocolate malt hot steeped

Repitched Lallemand Voss 500ml - was a little older & bigger beer.

I have it nestled up to the hot side of the kegerator with a sleeping bag to keep the heat in.

2. Quick & Dirty Hoppy Blonde - made this with Nelson Sauvin last month and it is delicious (also use Voss). I think this is going to be my hop testing ground.

1 x Mexican Cerveza

1Kg Dry wheat malt extract

30g Riwaka 15 minutes

35g Riwaka hopstand 15 minutes

35g riwaka to be dry hopped

repitched Lallemand Verdant slurry 250ml

Got the fan on this one to dissipate heat as much as possible. 

IMG_20210328_153341-01.jpeg

Edited by NicolasW
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, Stickers said:

IMG_7343.thumb.jpg.d958ce68ed383cfe7a7f945c3e4bdff0.jpg

@Pale Man i think i need to step up my game compared to your taping effort 😄

I've got a shed full of tape. I have to use it for something 😆.  I'm tempted to tape up brew dogs snout  at the moment she's barking her arse off. I'd never do that but she loves chasing birds around at this time of night. 

• Haha 2

On 3/29/2021 at 8:38 PM, Aussiekraut said:

.... Riwaka and Kohatu hops. 

Coincidentally it's the same hop combo I used in a golden ale brew I've just recently bottled.  50g each as late editions. 😎

Edited by BlackSands
  • Like 3

On 3/29/2021 at 7:43 PM, Pale Man said:

And before anyone mentions the sagging base my fermenter is sitting on. You cant change good luck. So i'll stick with tradition.

I reckon that shelf could almost push out to 24 litres 👌

• Haha 2