Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2021

Shamus O'Sean

19 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

That's not something I've heard of. I presume with that name it's a finings product? 

I think someone needs a new LHBS. 😄 That's exactly the wrong thing to tell him if he's trying for low % beers. 😄

He's too stuck in his ways, won't change anything. He has been making the same s.... for years. 

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Journeyman said:
1 hour ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Oh dear. Have you tried Clarity Ferm to reduce the gluten? 

That's not something I've heard of. I presume with that name it's a finings product? 

Original purpose was to prevent chill haze but then they discovered that it reduces gluten in beer to undetectable levels, to the point it is safe for people with celiac. I add it to all of my brews because my partner is gluten intolerant). I have noticed a decrease in gas, but I still fart of course. I eat a lot of pasta and that as not been treated with Clarity Ferm. 😆

Cheers,

Christina.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, CLASSIC said:

Well that would explain why my mate's beer is a out of whack, he does everything he can to produce low ABV & whacks in Dry Enzymes every time. I think a guy at a LBHS told him to, so he does.

Did your mate maybe tell the LHBS he wanted a low carb beer? Dry enzyme does reduce carbs, but it won't help you loose weight because (as others have said) it increases alcohol, and alcohol is just as fattening as carbs. 

Cheers,

Christina. 

25 minutes ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Did your mate maybe tell the LHBS he wanted a low carb beer? Dry enzyme does reduce carbs, but it won't help you loose weight because (as others have said) it increases alcohol, and alcohol is just as fattening as carbs. 

Cheers,

Christina. 

unless of course you lower the usual amount of fermentables to keep it around same or lower than usually make it to? Going to brew shop today to grab some dry enzyme along with other stuff.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Cheers,

Christina. 

Hi Christina,

I don't think Frank really knows what is, or what it does but he is convinced it's doing his beer good. He is too stubborn & he won't change. I might add it tastes like swamp water 🤮

Cheers.

Phil

• Haha 3

Just now, Journeyman said:

When people say things like that my first thought is always... "So you've tasted ...?" 😄

Yes he is a mate & brings a few around from time time even though I say don't bother, I have plenty. He feels mine is too strong & it has a funny taste ( that would be what we know as hops & actual bitterness,  flavour etc ) The good part about it he is a bit of a tightar.. & likes to drink OP's when he can get away with it.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

unless of course you lower the usual amount of fermentables to keep it around same or lower than usually make it to? Going to brew shop today to grab some dry enzyme along with other stuff.

Think of it in terms of OG.

Dry enzyme is not an effective weight loss strategy. 

41 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Yes he is a mate & brings a few around from time time even though I say don't bother, I have plenty

Um... I meant the swamp water. e.g. "That tastes like swamp water!" "So when did you taste swamp water and why?" 😄

2 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Think of it in terms of OG.

Dry enzyme is not an effective weight loss strategy. 

yes I get your point what I'm saying is if usually add say 4 kg of fermentables to a recepie for an expected alcohol percent. Reduce it by say half a kilo or more with enzyme to end up with same but lower body and so on.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

yes I get your point what I'm saying is if usually add say 4 kg of fermentables to a recepie for an expected alcohol percent. Reduce it by say half a kilo or more with enzyme to end up with same but lower body and so on.

This is exactly what I did after those first 2 showed how much it affects things. Less LDME or grains in a partial because I can get nice strong beer with less - and even for me, 9%+ is a bit much ABV. 😄

57 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

This is exactly what I did after those first 2 showed how much it affects things. Less LDME or grains in a partial because I can get nice strong beer with less - and even for me, 9%+ is a bit much ABV. 😄

I hope it doesn't go up too much for me I was just hoping that instead of coopers kit plus tin of malt extract and dry malt to 21 litres for my 5% or just above. I could for example go tin of 86 pils with tin liquid malt plus a yeast and enzyme to 23 litres and without extra LDM would end up around same. Guess only one way to find out but probably only try on my pilsners to begin with got 4 satchets today. Do you use in all styles?

Euro lager going really good after only 2 days from pitching yeast kit plus dubbya. @Graubart only second Lager/Pilsner have done out of about a dozen that hasn't got sulphur smell by time krausen formed. Currently on 14 degrees where I'll leave it as strange enough the ones I brewed on 14 or 15 i found I liked better than ones on 12. Plus brew fridge been struggling so better for it also.

20210407_160512.jpg

• Like 4

Hi all,

Probably a couple newbie questions but I'll ask anyway.

I put down a Coopers Hazy IPA 6 days ago without thinking on going away next week for 10 days. Will there be any issues if I leave the temp at say 19c and leave it in the FV for about 7 days longer than what it should take (14 days)?

Also, when adding hops last night I noticed a small bug around the lid on the FV. Its the new coopers style and was under the outside lip... its not the first time I've seen a bug or small flying insect so was thinking of spraying the fridge with bug spray after this brew. Has anyone done this before and is it a good or bad idea?

Cheers

I'm pretty sure @Hoppy81 won't mind me sharing this pic. Not my style to share private stuff but this pic is worth a thousand words.

Hoppy has Just put down a big All Grain RIS. About five days ago. From memory it went around 1.100 into fermenters. Here's a sample 3 days in. Head and all. That's just the bloody sample 3 days in ferment. 

From memory he used 5 or 6 grains @Hoppy81 ?

Resized_20210407_211036(1).jpeg

• Like 1

Just now, Pale Man said:

From memory he used 5 or 6 grains

😄 - that's KILOS of grains... right? 😄 

2 minutes ago, Titans19 said:

Its the new coopers style and was under the outside lip... its not the first time I've seen a bug or small flying insect so was thinking of spraying the fridge with bug spray after this brew

When you say 'under' do you mean still on the outside of the FV? 

I wouldn't bother with bug spray - I keep all chemicals away from my beer gear except the standard cleaners and sanitisers. Give the fridge a good clean, maybe with sodium perc, then spray it with sanitiser and pay attention to potential spillages on the FV as you brew. If there's no exposed wort, the bugs won't hang around.

At one point I had some little fly types hanging around, so I got some tap plugs and give them a rinse regularly and haven't seen them since. (the flies not the plugs 😄 )

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

5 or 6 variety of grains. If you want kilos i reckon he used upward 16 kilo maybe more, it was a double batch.

I'm licking my lips to taste this. And also this is what i'm going up against in a show about four months from now.  

Ive got my challenge brewing away, but it might be Bambi V GodZilla 😬

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

When you say 'under' do you mean still on the outside of the FV? 

I wouldn't bother with bug spray - I keep all chemicals away from my beer gear except the standard cleaners and sanitisers. Give the fridge a good clean, maybe with sodium perc, then spray it with sanitiser and pay attention to potential spillages on the FV as you brew. If there's no exposed wort, the bugs won't hang around.

At one point I had some little fly types hanging around, so I got some tap plugs and give them a rinse regularly and haven't seen them since. (the flies not the plugs 😄 )

Thanks Journeyman.

Yes its on the outside luckily.

Since reading on here, I now sit my hydrometer next to my FV with brew in it the whole time. Maybe that's what has been attracting the bugs?

34 minutes ago, Titans19 said:

Thanks Journeyman.

Yes its on the outside luckily.

Since reading on here, I now sit my hydrometer next to my FV with brew in it the whole time. Maybe that's what has been attracting the bugs?

Maybe, but, I do the same, although I don't leave the hydro in it - the Kraussen in the tube grunges up the scale. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

Euro lager going really good after only 2 days from pitching yeast kit plus dubbya. @Graubart only second Lager/Pilsner have done out of about a dozen that hasn't got sulphur smell by time krausen formed. Currently on 14 degrees where I'll leave it as strange enough the ones I brewed on 14 or 15 i found I liked better than ones on 12. Plus brew fridge been struggling so better for it also.

Looooooooooks pretty niiiiiice JK - good luck with that one!  I haven't done any controlled expbeeriments on diff Dubby Temps.... everything has turned out red hot whether warmer (18 or so) or cooler (12-15 in the vicinity)... though I don't think that a real short ferment in the Pressure Vessel is a good idea - I believe you get better beer if you leave it in the Fermy for another week or so to round off and condition a bit...  before kegging or bottling.  I also believe that the non PFV standard methodology with a the DiAc Rest temp raise and the slow temp decline Yeast Cleanup is very worthwhile.

@jamiek86 JK I think you spurned the idea of the DiAc temp raise then slow decline in Temp for Yeast Cleanup as you wanted your brewfridge back for more brewing... which is most understandable mate... But if you want beer without sulphur - I would recommend you trying it - as I have never had sulphur anywhere near any of my lager/pils cold temp beers poured... well not yet anyways.   I think that is the very reason why the DiAc Rest - Yeast Cleanup process is recommended... to get rid of some of the unwanted metabolites resulting in Saccharomyces pastorianus yeast fermented beers what you don't get using Ale Yeasts like US05 which are different species  Saccharomyces cerevisiae (of which there are many strains).

But I have been wong plenty before there is no doubt... and there are many ways to the top of the hill.... and some brewers may not have ease of doing all this extra stuff so yeah not trying to tell yer how to brew... just a wee suggestions if it fits in may be worth a try one time. 

• Like 2