Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2021

Shamus O'Sean

18 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hi Christina, excuse my ignorance, but with respect to this recipe what is MACE.  You have done at least one before, but the ingredients were mostly different.

Cheers Shamus

I’m guessing Mosaic, Amarillo, Centennial and El Dorado.

Some of the hops used in the recipe.

Edited by Hairy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

@James Lao I'm yet to.try verdant IPA for the first time it's on.the to.do.list along with a lot of others

Will defo let you know how I get on with it !

I am more than happy with my US-05 beers, but have been reading loads of good stuff about Verdant IPA yeast so thought I would give it a crack👍

• Like 3

In my haste to laydown my first brew in a while, I used 200g of cara malt instead of Dark Crystal. Any idea what change if any it will make. If anything I think it will be sweeter than it should is my guess, but I'm not sure if that is the case.

• 1.7kg Thomas Coopers Devil's Half Ruby Porter
  • 1.5kg × Light Dry Malt
  • 200g × Dark Crystal Malt
  • 300g Chocolate Malt
  • 25g Styrian Goldings Hops
  • 11g Lallemand Nottingham Ale Yeast
  • 250g Desiccated Coconut
  • OG 1.056 EBC 52 IBU 45

Toasted Coconut Porter.jpg

Edited by Boot Straps
added extra comment
  • Like 3

@Boot Straps if it was carra instead of dark crystal my assumption would be that the dark would be sweeter as colour grades should be getting sweeter as go up in strength and colour. Only a guess of course I only use light special malts. I'm sure if that's style you like it will still come out good. Boil hops or flavour addition?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jamiek86 said:

@Boot Straps if it was carra instead of dark crystal my assumption would be that the dark would be sweeter as colour grades should be getting sweeter as go up in strength and colour. Only a guess of course I only use light special malts. I'm sure if that's style you like it will still come out good. Boil hops or flavour addition?

@jamiek8625g Styrian Golding hops half boiled for 10 mins, removed from heat and the other half thrown in.

Edited by Boot Straps
  • Like 3

Looks the latest kolsch has run its course and is ready to chill. Maybe 2 points shy of the expected FG but I don’t think it’s noticeable. Really keen to get this chilled and carbed. I’ve got the time so will do a slow ramp down, rather than a straight slog to 1.5. I really hope the 6 weeks of conditioning will be noticeable prior to competition. It’s great from the test tube, so I’ve got hopes it will be a pearler by the time it goes to judging. 

5ABB16EE-28BA-4507-A481-59CAA6A1C085.jpeg

• Like 9

On 4/26/2021 at 6:46 PM, MitchBastard said:

Looks the latest kolsch has run its course and is ready to chill. Maybe 2 points shy of the expected FG but I don’t think it’s noticeable. Really keen to get this chilled and carbed. I’ve got the time so will do a slow ramp down, rather than a straight slog to 1.5. I really hope the 6 weeks of conditioning will be noticeable prior to competition. It’s great from the test tube, so I’ve got hopes it will be a pearler by the time it goes to judging. 

5ABB16EE-28BA-4507-A481-59CAA6A1C085.jpeg

You've got a reputation to uphold now, Mitch, as an award winning brewer. Good luck with it.

• Haha 1

Boiling this as I post: Old Speckled Hen clone (hopefully). As per @Shamus O'Sean suggested, the crysal grain part of the recipe was steeped overnight, now boiling up with the pro rata amount of malt powder and the hops. After cooling overnight I’ll top it up to 23l and pitch some Notty in it. Impressed with the Notty from last week 😉

6A523B47-F3F8-466A-9B5C-EF656211C118.jpeg

AED99954-2870-4B28-BA75-582E8AFD0784.jpeg

5CA1EA79-80D9-400A-A3DD-7EE6ED9E7954.jpeg

58BD9161-E53C-4DEA-822D-2DEDBDE9976B.jpeg

1B5C9648-57D9-4F57-98BB-BA0B2784A1CC.jpeg

Edited by stquinto
  • Like 7

American Pale Ale chugging along nicely this afternoon @19degrees & 30PSI ( had to vent off as it was getting above 30PSI ) 

Using M15 Empire Ale Yeast, never used this before but she’s going nuts 

Will dry hop during the week with 25g Simcoe & 25g Chinook. 

CE4380AD-5A09-4C3C-9DE3-65538B4EEC5D.jpeg

6768E346-68EB-4D7E-BD39-D9F146623DDA.jpeg

• Like 5

I put this brew together on Saturday.

T/C's Preacher's Hefe Wheat x 1.7

Cooper's wheat malt extract x 1.5

Rice malt syrup x 0.5

a dash of LDME, 200g.

I had some Lallemand Munich Classic yeast that was a month or so out of date so I did a yeast starter and added it. Went off like fireworks, you can see the extent of the krausen remaining on the side of the FV. I haven't checked the SG as yet but it wouldn't surprise me if it is well on the way to it's FG. Amazing fruity and banana aromas in the fermentation fridge!

1661e.JPG

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, kmar92 said:

I had some Lallemand Munich Classic yeast

Hey there @kmar92 Kmar mate that is the ol Classic Munich I know and love!

@Shamus O'Sean Shamus - did you have the massive fest of frothing ferment when you did yours back then.... you all may remember my frothover that I had to clean up... but yeah I reckon it is a cracking HW yeast and am looking forward to brewing another soon-ish ; )

i would have bottled this yesterday but long story short, a family member is downsizing and i'm going to be the proud recipient of a 2 keg setup and converted fridge on sunday.. so this will be my first ever beer on tap 🍻

IMG_7614.thumb.jpg.61cca23d58df8b97300a3b28d02be5d6.jpg

423239871_Screenshot2021-05-03193529.jpg.38cea2046337fc30dc5bca159799918d.jpg

• Like 5

I forgot Burbler that your frothover was with Munich Classic! My concern was that the Munich Classic may have been slow to fire, due to it's age, hence the starter. Well @Graubart I didn't need to worry about that, massive action and very quickly.

I must keep it in mind in the future with Munich Classic, definitely a case for the collar!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stickers said:

i would have bottled this yesterday but long story short, a family member is downsizing and i'm going to be the proud recipient of a 2 keg setup and converted fridge on sunday.. so this will be my first ever beer on tap 🍻

IMG_7614.thumb.jpg.61cca23d58df8b97300a3b28d02be5d6.jpg

Happy days, Stickers. 

Late edit: @Stickers Don't forget to update your calendar. It's May now. 🙂 

Edited by MUZZY
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1