Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2021

Shamus O'Sean

3 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Just did a bit of research and apparently manuka honey is the kind used to make medical grade honey. It seem there is a small risk of contracting botulism when treating wounds with raw honey.  The other bit of caution is that honey should not be used to treat wounds in those who are allergic to bee stings. 

Hey Christina thanks for that!

Me mate doesn't do well with bee stings and has some hives now himself...  not hyper-allergic tho... but he has been using Apiarist-sold Aussie Bush Honey for his wounds for years with good success.

Yeah the Manuka Honey is renowned for its OOOOMPH... me mate is a pure and utter Honey Freak and has honey from all over East Coast Aussie Mainland and Tassie and some very nice Lepto Wallum Honey (Manuka) from coastal NSW.   Some of that Teatree Honey was very very dark coloured and when it cooled and set it did not go into a small fine grain texture but instead sort of long (ish) thin crystals and tasted amazing.  Honey is a bit like Beer - there are so many good varieties haha!!   Funnily enough is same fella who introduced me to Coopers Kits years ago ; )

This may be of interest:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2019-10-24/medicinal-honey-in-australia-superior-to-new-zealand-manuka/11635412#:~:text=Manuka honey is produced from,one species from New Zealand

Manuka honey, favoured for its medicinal qualities, is produced from the nectar of different species of Leptospermum plants, which are native to both Australia and New Zealand.

The Agrifutures-Australia-funded joint project between the University of Technology in Sydney, the Sydney University and the University of the Sunshine Coast, tested more than 5,000 honey and 2,000 nectar samples from across the nation.

It found that seven of more-than-80 Australian Leptospermum species produce honey with exceptionally high levels of antibacterial activity, and many others produce honey with therapeutically-beneficial activity.

Yeah this stuff is pretty handy: 

image.thumb.png.834b998098e6b314389f9af6004ba598.png

• Like 2

Finally got the Ale decanted into the Fermenter... Inky at 18 and Heat Belt on... ambient is low teens so hopefully it will cope... blankies over top and US05 pitched.... yes the old workhorse yeast  that brings nothing to the brew once again... but am keen for the spread of Malts and the Hoppage to do the talking... hopefully by tomorrow might be some yeast action 🤔

Hoping there are enough hours in the day to do another AG mill-mash-boil maybe a SMASH Pils Wort - while I am on the go 😬

image.thumb.png.dce27d6b3cbf65c6caa171899436e57a.png

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Graubart said:

Hey Christina thanks for that!

Me mate doesn't do well with bee stings and has some hives now himself...  not hyper-allergic tho... but he has been using Apiarist-sold Aussie Bush Honey for his wounds for years with good success.

Yeah the Manuka Honey is renowned for its OOOOMPH... me mate is a pure and utter Honey Freak and has honey from all over East Coast Aussie Mainland and Tassie and some very nice Lepto Wallum Honey (Manuka) from coastal NSW.   Some of that Teatree Honey was very very dark coloured and when it cooled and set it did not go into a small fine grain texture but instead sort of long (ish) thin crystals and tasted amazing.  Honey is a bit like Beer - there are so many good varieties haha!!   Funnily enough is same fella who introduced me to Coopers Kits years ago ; )

This may be of interest:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2019-10-24/medicinal-honey-in-australia-superior-to-new-zealand-manuka/11635412#:~:text=Manuka honey is produced from,one species from New Zealand

Manuka honey, favoured for its medicinal qualities, is produced from the nectar of different species of Leptospermum plants, which are native to both Australia and New Zealand.

The Agrifutures-Australia-funded joint project between the University of Technology in Sydney, the Sydney University and the University of the Sunshine Coast, tested more than 5,000 honey and 2,000 nectar samples from across the nation.

It found that seven of more-than-80 Australian Leptospermum species produce honey with exceptionally high levels of antibacterial activity, and many others produce honey with therapeutically-beneficial activity.

Yeah this stuff is pretty handy: 

image.thumb.png.834b998098e6b314389f9af6004ba598.png

Well done Professor Graubart. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Finally got the Ale decanted into the Fermenter... Inky at 18 and Heat Belt on... ambient is low teens so hopefully it will cope... blankies over top and US05 pitched.... yes the old workhorse yeast  that brings nothing to the brew once again... but am keen for the spread of Malts and the Hoppage to do the talking... hopefully by tomorrow might be some yeast action 🤔

Hoping there are enough hours in the day to do another AG mill-mash-boil maybe a SMASH Pils Wort - while I am on the go 😬

image.thumb.png.dce27d6b3cbf65c6caa171899436e57a.png

A total hive of activity, watch out for those yeast monsters you had a couple of months ago. 👾

• Haha 1

Pics from yesterday’s brew day.

‘Simcoe Single Hop IPA in the Fermzilla 

Stone & Wood Clone in the Coopers Fermenter 

Had to throw the electric blanket & heat belt around the respective brews as temps dropping up my way rapidly, bit unusual for this time of year in SE QLD, but I like to keep stable temps whilst fermentation is underway.

Cheers RD44 🍻🍻

3339A67C-2910-488A-BB4E-B0B604C612B0.jpeg

5D660A94-6F4D-4120-AD88-FF46AE90FC8F.jpeg

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Looks like a still shot from the latest Star Wars release. Darth Beerius.

🙂 So good Shamus @Shamus O'Sean - to come up with something as good as that so early in the morning?  Truly outstanding mate!!! 🥳

Edited by Graubart
  • Haha 1

Terribly sad to do this to Darth Beerius (with thanks to SOS @Shamus O'Sean 🥳) but in the commitment to continuous improvement for temp control and energy efficiency I decided to give him a woolly hat... Schizophrenic maybe yes... and that great Statistic 'Every two in one person is a Schizophrenic'... 

But what would his other identify be? Maybe Beerus Yeltsin? Other ideas Brewers?

image.thumb.png.d7184adccc2ed0f89c2ac393c2e139c1.png

Edited by Graubart
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Terribly sad to do this to Darth Beerius (with thanks to SOS @Shamus O'Sean 🥳) but in the commitment to continuous improvement for temp control and energy efficiency I decided to give him a woolly hat... Schizophrenic maybe yes... and that great Statistic 'Every two in one person is a Schizophrenic'... 

But what would his other identify be? Maybe Beerus Yeltsin? Other ideas Brewers?

Graubster I reckon there is a creepy yeast monster lurking in there waiting to pounce & plunder & wreak havoc in the Bierhaus.

• Haha 1

The final of 3 recent brews now underway... W34/70 slurry  pitched - about 48 hours on a bit of bubbler action - a Galaxy Smash Pils of sorts (w a sneaky bit of wheat malt thrown in) - cruising at Ambient Temp of c. 15.5 degrees C...  probs not essential but bubbler filled with festive cheap Aldi Vodka to be sure to be sure 😋

image.thumb.png.05ecb665158832da1d53a80ba69c08b7.png

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Barramullafella said:

Got busy with a ferment after bottling the Woolager Plus and put down a Woolies Lager 1.7 + 1kg LDM + 250gm dextrose + 25 lt H2O + kit yeast. That thing powered up in a few hours. The OG = 1.034 and aiming for a 3.7 % ish abv. 

Sounds like you are stacking up the beers stocks Barra, if you are not careful you will end up looking for a place to stack them, like me 😬 

• Haha 1

On 5/24/2021 at 8:31 AM, Graubart said:

image.thumb.png.d7184adccc2ed0f89c2ac393c2e139c1.png

Or equally as weird - Beerus Johnson. 

01B4F371-539D-449F-9E7B-11633CA55914.thumb.jpeg.c52bdf0ea64d57d32a66eda1ac95617c.jpeg

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

Very sneaky @Graubart I have never heard of that before but then why not ? Probably more sterile than water.

I think too it is the idea of any stuff -- read organisms -- somehow finding its way into that reservoir of fluid - 'from without' rather than within - will get knocked on the head by the ethanol content...  there are some that believe it is foolhardy nonnnnnnsense but I think that a tiny splash of Aldi Vodka is worth it given the vast amount of resources time and effort that has gone into developing that muddy water/primordial soup burbling away within 🤔

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Tone boy said:

Or equally as weird - Beerus Johnson. 

WTF.... there you go... the last time I looked... and... no... you were spot on Toner!?!  Beerus Johnson is now presiding over the Fermentation Facilities at Graubartigebräu!?!

image.thumb.png.6111b0048e3aa7966f218d1f4a8444a9.png

• Haha 2

On 5/25/2021 at 9:40 PM, Graubart said:

WTF.... Beerus Johnson is now presiding over the Fermentation Facilities at Graubartigebräu!?!

And all the Brews are behaving themselves and the Rye Bread worked out spot on.... BJ seems to be able to run a tight ship over here in back o' beyond NSW... bit better than his frazzle where he normally resides 🤪

Got batch #47 AG batch #7 a Pacific Summer Ale using Windsor yeast in the pressure fermenter BD+4 the day after dry hopping with 30 g Galaxy.

And batch #48 AG batch #8 a True Blue Pale Ale ver 4 using Nottingham in the Coopers 23 L FV BD+1 so yeasties have gotten to work.

But wait there is more...

And batch #49 AG batch #9 a Mitch B Aussie Pub Lager ver 1 using Diamond Lager yeast in 30 L blue drum.  Nothing to see here so did not take a pic ha ha...

Cheers - AL

True Blue Pale Ale AG batch BD+1 - resized.jpg

Pacific Summer Ale AG batch BD+4 after dry hop 30 g Galaxy - resized.jpg

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 3