Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2021

Shamus O'Sean

8 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

Ya could always send your tasters to me, I would keep them warm and carb them up for you.  Hell I would even tell you what they taste like.😉

Cheers - AL

it's also a bit of can't be bothered with cleaning a few bottles and putting sugar in them when it warms up I might go back to it.

48 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

i tend to brew mostly to 23litres   , reason being   is the loss to trub , the loss for gravity readings if not using tilt...     and testing of wort as well in the process

i like a full 19litre keg    thats basicly all i do..

I still find after a basic cold crash I get a full keg from 20 litres just not the tasters in bottle.

In the fermentation fridge I have a "Porter"  and some lacto fermentation chillis.

The scent coming from the fridge is a mix of wort and chilli, its not a great mix for the nostrols.

Porter has about another 3-4 days, whilst the chillis have another week or two before I go to stage two and calendar them. Then mix them with some vinegar.

16226260719378748002050113219632.jpg

20210601_193825.jpg

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Marksmans Gift said:

In the fermentation fridge I have a "Porter"  and some lacto fermentation chillis.

The scent coming from the fridge is a mix of wort and chilli, its not a great mix for the nostrols.

Porter has about another 3-4 days, whilst the chillis have another week or two before I go to stage two and calendar them. Then mix them with some vinegar.

16226260719378748002050113219632.jpg

20210601_193825.jpg

Nice what sort of Porter I’ve been toying with the idea of Baltic?

Edited by RDT2

1 hour ago, ozdevil said:

thats cool   your lucky you can cold crash  i dont have the room and the wife barks at me if i say i want a fermenting fridge

by barking the full on angry bark

it's almost crapped itself takes few days get to 2.5 degrees and depending on weather sometimes doesn't stay there long so only gets couple of days but enough to help. What do you use in summer? I sometimes bring out tub with water and frozen bottles in summer if need 2 going.

7 hours ago, MUZZY said:

I don't doubt it's a nice beer, Mitch, but I'm surprised how pale the colour is. Is this the norm for that style? This is not a criticism either, just an enquiry by a novice.
By the way, our Adelaide tap water isn't as clear as that. 😄 

Fair question mate, to be honest, I don’t believe “Aus Lager” is a registered style of the bjcp. It’s technically an international pale lager, I just say it’s an Australian lager. Int pale lager is a Wide spectrum and from my reading, brew house extenders (non malt fermentables) vary from country to country which help pin it down to its region of origin. I.e Asian countries use rice, yanks use corn. Australia is known for using cane sugar. My waffling aside, the srm of these beers is 2-6. Mines actually on the high end at 6 (ebc of 12) it probably looks a lot lighter in the test tube. A pic of a previous version is below. 

2B745094-BED9-494A-990F-60E34FC63D22.png

Edited by MitchBastard
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

it's almost crapped itself takes few days get to 2.5 degrees and depending on weather sometimes doesn't stay there long so only gets couple of days but enough to help. What do you use in summer? I sometimes bring out tub with water and frozen bottles in summer if need 2 going.

mate  i try to put it in the coldest room possible  maybe in cool bath with cool water or something like that

or if the kegerator is free i'll do a batch in that.

I am thinking of getting a ferment fridge and putting outside just got find an ideal spot where rain wont get to it

1 minute ago, ozdevil said:

mate  i try to put it in the coldest room possible  maybe in cool bath with cool water or something like that

or if the kegerator is free i'll do a batch in that.

I am thinking of getting a ferment fridge and putting outside just got find an ideal spot where rain wont get to it

I have a covered extension cord ran into a non powered shed for my fridge same issue with space. I'm lucky I won the argument to have keggerator inside it was almost going to be in shed too.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

I have a covered extension cord ran into a non powered shed for my fridge same issue with space. I'm lucky I won the argument to have keggerator inside it was almost going to be in shed too.

my kegerator  was a marriage split up  if kegerator wasnt next to my bed

i could run a long extension lead to a shed but it would be a 50 mtre from power point to shed

and my landlord would cut the thing with his lawn mower

3 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

my kegerator  was a marriage split up  if kegerator wasnt next to my bed

i could run a long extension lead to a shed but it would be a 50 mtre from power point to shed

and my landlord would cut the thing with his lawn mower

thats no good hopefully you can get something sorted out but u seem to be brewing fine without it so far.

9 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

thats no good hopefully you can get something sorted out but u seem to be brewing fine without it so far.

mate i just pick my weather  if it looks like its going to be a boiler for a week i dont brew if its going to be below 25 degrees all symptoms go

i'll get it sorted soon i am actually thinking  i can get it under the carport and put padlock on a fridge  as i live in a calder sac   and its really only rersidents that enter the street
or i am thinking of putting up a  shed that can be dismantled quickly if i decide to move 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, RDT2 said:

Nice what sort of Porter?

A hazelnut porter. Based off a recipie I think Grumpy or @Green Blobformally known as Grumpy? had posted.

I had made it previously and loved it, made a few intentional adjustments and an unintended adjustment, .2kgs of carafa 11 special (ye old .02 vs .2 mistake) and turned this beer a bit darker then I wanted.

Will be taste/gravity testing it tomorrow or Saturday.  Hoping for good results

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, MitchBastard said:

Fair question mate, to be honest, I don’t believe “Aus Lager” is a registered style of the bjcp. It’s technically an international pale lager, I just say it’s an Australian lager. Int pale lager is a Wide spectrum and from my reading, brew house extenders (non malt fermentables) vary from country to country which help pin it down to its region of origin. I.e Asian countries use rice, yanks use corn. Australia is known for using cane sugar. My waffling aside, the srm of these beers is 2-6. Mines actually on the high end at 6 (ebc of 12) it probably looks a lot lighter in the test tube. A pic of a previous version is below. 

2B745094-BED9-494A-990F-60E34FC63D22.png

Now that looks more familiar. Nice work mate. And still clearer than Adelaide water. Haha.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Marksmans Gift said:

A hazelnut porter. Based off a recipie I think Grumpy or @Green Blobformally known as Grumpy? had posted.

I had made it previously and loved it, made a few intentional adjustments and an unintended adjustment, .2kgs of carafa 11 special (ye old .02 vs .2 mistake) and turned this beer a bit darker then I wanted.

Will be taste/gravity testing it tomorrow or Saturday.  Hoping for good results

Nice I love porters now you’ve given me another idea of what to brew! It doesn’t stop, i go to LHBS today and they have half price Belgium strong or ale yeast it’s expired but could do a starter now thinking about doing that but want to do a sour another type of Irish Red a Rye IPA a.... another Stout etc🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, RDT2 said:

another type of Irish Red

Hey RD. I’m heading towards an Irish red ale myself soon. I’be just sourced some shepherds delight malt and some roasted barley. Hopefully those two along with some ale malt and a neutral kit (I’m doing a partial mash) will give me a good red colour. Do you have a recipe in mind? Or hops idea? I’d be interested to hear your thoughts. 
cheers 👍🍻

8 minutes ago, RDT2 said:

Nice I love porters now you’ve given me another idea of what to brew! It doesn’t stop, i go to LHBS today and they have half price Belgium strong or ale yeast it’s expired but could do a starter now thinking about doing that but want to do a sour another type of Irish Red a Rye IPA a.... another Stout etc🤣

My list is not getting smaller either but I have finally narrowed down a house ale using sabro/cirtra combination. 

Mild ale, and a rye ipa is next target I think

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Marksmans Gift said:

My list is not getting smaller either but I have finally narrowed down a house ale using sabro/cirtra combination. 

Mild ale, and a rye ipa is next target I think

Hi mate for my latest one I bittered with Columbus and 30min addition with Willamette it’s still in the fermenter so can say what it will be like yet. The recipe I followed was mean to have Cascade instead of willamette. But I like the look of the link below as well which has rye in it and most other recipes I have seen seem to have challenger for bittering and fuggles as the second edition.
https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/brighids-irish-red-ale/

Edited by RDT2
  • Like 1

Very nice indeed, I have some Scottish ale yeast in the fridge atm that I'll be rejuvenating for a mild/dark ale then adding a Scottish ale onto the yeast cake. 

Onve fermented I'll split it 3 ways. 

1 addition of Brett in the bottle

2 age on some American and French oak

3 leave as is as a test or a way to dilute the oak flavour if it becomes over powering

• Like 1

Bavarian Wheat Beer going well, fermenting under pressure, temp controlled at 19 degrees. 

Put this down last night (  Friday ) 

This M20 Yeast goes absolutely crazy & forms a large krausen, I only have that happen when I brew wheat beers 🤔🤔

If I brew Pale Ales I get a krausen forming, but not like the wheat beer for some reason ?

600F1A20-0D5E-4CBD-84E2-F012E3D96410.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2021 at 9:03 AM, Barramullafella said:

The one I bottled last weekend is the first I used 1kg LME in the blend. This one I used 1kg DME + 250gm dex' to keep the ABV up a little. Eager to try the Woolager Plus in a another week or so as a test sample lol, and this one [Woolager Malteaser] will be bottled I'd guess tomorrow night.

WoolagerAle  Plus 3 week test - no head [suspect glass tainted] plenty of carbonation, malt/bitter balance [maybe a fraction sweet] smell like beer. Overall I am not fond of the sweet taste but see how it tastes at week #4.

On 6/2/2021 at 9:14 AM, Barramullafella said:

Bottled up the Woolager Malteaser last night. Got 32 x PET's . Tasted some of the dregs and it sure tasted like beer. See how it turns out in a cuppla weeks.

At day #12 cracked the top off a test bottle and results: Sweet, malty, golden colour, head disappears quick. Hopes this one improves in the less sweet department and will do anudda test at week #3 or abouts. 

Out of what I have brewed thus far the OS draught + BE2 is my favourite not including the WoolAle Plus & Malteaser.

Damn it is 09.17 hrs and I am thirsty. Cheers. 😉