Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2021

Shamus O'Sean

1 hour ago, Tone boy said:

Looks great Christina. What temp will you ferment that one at? Going the lower end I guess to allow the lager yeast to dominate...

Does the honey impart a noticeable flavour in the beer? The motueka will go really well in that recipe; I think it’s a great hop. I’ve had it in a summer ale and it’s really nice. 
Hope it goes well. 

Cheers TB

Hi @Tone boy. The honey does impart a noticeable flavour, but it is subtle. I am really digging brewing pseudo lagers and APAs with honey. 

This is nearly the last of the Moteuka from my bulk order. I am sad it is almost gone. I will order it again, but first I have to get through some of the other hops I ordered. 

Cheers,

Christina. 

Edited by ChristinaS1
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Hi @Tone boy. The honey does impart a noticeable flavour, but it is subtle. I am really digging brewing pseudo lagers and APAs with honey. 

This is nearly the last of the Moteuka from my bulk order. I am sad it is almost gone. I will order it again, but first I have to get through some of the other hops I ordered. 

Cheers,

Christina. 

Do you need to boil the honey first? I imagine it may have some organisms in it if it’s natural honey...

17 minutes ago, ChristinaS1 said:

This is nearly the last of the Moteuka from my bulk order.

Just read this @ChristinaS1 and was about to refill the breakfast honey jar so thought this photo might be of interest - festive ancient old Brucie down the road sells his honey from a van on the highway on a Saturday now and then so if I am heading past I grab some to support him and it is a wonderful product... colour and flavour varies with the year and the flowers the busy little fellas have been slurping on...the plan is to make some Mead... will hafta wait till Spring...  I have seen @Green Blob Blobski's nice mead on here and have got the yeast... just need to do it 😬

image.thumb.png.47ee4651d038babd0775b766f60ade09.png

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

Do you need to boil the honey first? I imagine it may have some organisms in it if it’s natural honey...

I am not an expert on honey. I have only tried adding it at flameout, which should be hot enough to pasteurize it. 

Cheers,

Christina.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Just read this @ChristinaS1 and was about to refill the breakfast honey jar so thought this photo might be of interest - festive ancient old Brucie down the road sells his honey from a van on the highway on a Saturday now and then so if I am heading past I grab some to support him and it is a wonderful product... colour and flavour varies with the year and the flowers the busy little fellas have been slurping on...the plan is to make some Mead... will hafta wait till Spring...  I have seen @Green Blob Blobski's nice mead on here and have got the yeast... just need to do it 😬

Lotsa Honey Graubster should make nice Mead & as you say at breakfast. It is a great energiser, should sweeten you up a bit Old Chap.

I don't use as much honey as I should, must go & buy some.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Hi GB, yours and @kmar92's HW look outstanding.  Lovely hazy golden colour.  I was happy with the LMC yeast.  However, mine is clearing up a lot.  After I filled a glass last night it came out pretty clear.  I gave the 1/5 full keg a bit of a jiggle and the second glass had a bit more haze in it.  But nothing like yours or Kmar's.

Do you end up fitting your Krausen collar?  I would have, given my experience with a half batch in the Craft kit.  What temperature are you fermenting at?  When I do it again, I will increase to at least 20°C.

@Shamus O'Sean I fermented mine at 20° and it worked well at that temperature. Munich Classic is recommended to be used 17° - 22°, obviously warmer promotes more fruity type aromas. I will definitely use a Krausen collar next time I brew with it as it generates a very high Krausen in the initial phase of the ferment.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tone boy said:

What temp will you ferment that one at? Going the lower end I guess to allow the lager yeast to dominate...

Sorry @Tone boy I forgot to answer your question about temp: I always ferment the ale/lager yeast blend at 18C (recommended by Coopers) which keeps both sides of the family happy.  Ferment too cool and the ale yeast will remain dormant and I would end up under-pitched (in terms of lager yeast). Dry lager yeast remains pretty clean at 18C.

Cheers,

Christina.

Edited by ChristinaS1
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Sorry @Tone boy I forgot to answer your question

That’s OK Christina, I’ll let it slide this time 🤪

47 minutes ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Dry lager yeast remains pretty clean at 18C.

Good to know you can get a good faux lager at that temp. I may try that as my coopers yeast sachets seem to add up quickly!

Lets us know how your brew turns out. Thanks for sharing your knowledge once again! Much appreciated as always ✌️🍻

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChristinaS1 said:

Sorry @Tone boy I forgot to answer your question about temp: I always ferment the ale/lager yeast blend at 18C (recommended by Coopers) which keeps both sides of the family happy.  Ferment too cool and the ale yeast will remain dormant and I would end up under-pitched (in terms of lager yeast). Dry lager yeast remains pretty clean at 18C.

Cheers,

Christina.

I had number of Coopers Lager can yeast left over as I was using W-34/70 as an alternative.

I started to use them up and I am currently doing another Lager using one packet of this yeast at 10C and it a appears again to be doing its job.

I'll try this yeast at 18C in the next Lager brew to see how it goes.

This yeast is commonly called a Ale yeast which it is. However it is also a Lager yeast (from my experience} and I believe it could/should be regarded as a broad spectrum yeast serving both styles of beer.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tone boy said:

Naaargh... bit like hops - natural antimicrobial properties I believe - if real honey and not been tampered with and kept in sterile container and handled cleanly I don't reckon you will find anything at all living in Honey.

Supposedly thousands of year old Honey was found still sitting there and ok in Pharaoh tombs... and a mate of mine uses it to stick on cuts and wounds... 

Check this out - is a refereed journal - may not be top of the pops - but if on that 

site then it hopefully shouldn't be too much bolllllox.... but as always... gotta be careful about what you find on the Web hey!?! 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3609166/

Logo of apjtb
Asian Pac J Trop Biomed. 2011 Apr; 1(2): 154–160.
PMCID: PMC3609166
PMID: 23569748

Honey: its medicinal property and antibacterial activity

This article has been cited by other articles in PMC.

Abstract

Indeed, medicinal importance of honey has been documented in the world's oldest medical literatures, and since the ancient times, it has been known to possess antimicrobial property as well as wound-healing activity. The healing property of honey is due to the fact that it offers antibacterial activity, maintains a moist wound condition, and its high viscosity helps to provide a protective barrier to prevent infection. Its immunomodulatory property is relevant to wound repair too. The antimicrobial activity in most honeys is due to the enzymatic production of hydrogen peroxide. However, another kind of honey, called non-peroxide honey (viz., manuka honey), displays significant antibacterial effects even when the hydrogen peroxide activity is blocked. Its mechanism may be related to the low pH level of honey and its high sugar content (high osmolarity) that is enough to hinder the growth of microbes. The medical grade honeys have potent in vitro bactericidal activity against antibiotic-resistant bacteria causing several life-threatening infections to humans. But, there is a large variation in the antimicrobial activity of some natural honeys, which is due to spatial and temporal variation in sources of nectar. Thus, identification and characterization of the active principle(s) may provide valuable information on the quality and possible therapeutic potential of honeys (against several health disorders of humans), and hence we discussed the medicinal property of honeys with emphasis on their antibacterial activities.

Keywords: Honey, Antibacterial activity, Wound healing property, Glucose oxidase, Non-peroxide effect, Medical-grade honey, Antimicrobial agents, Medicinal property, Antimicrobial property, Immunomodulatory property
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, kmar92 said:

@Shamus O'Sean I fermented mine at 20° and it worked well at that temperature. Munich Classic is recommended to be used 17° - 22°, obviously warmer promotes more fruity type aromas. I will definitely use a Krausen collar next time I brew with it as it generates a very high Krausen in the initial phase of the ferment.

@kmar92 Haha KMar and @Shamus O'Sean SOS you are a champs... took your collective warning and went the extra mile... fitted the KC... Thanks Brewers 🙏

Will post photo shortly... am going at 18.... should be ok I think.   That beer of yours was a KnK with Coopers Wheat Kit and Liquid Wheat Malt was it not?  Mate it looks sensational.  U mentioned some teething issues at pour - what probs did you have - was it over frothy?🤔

Edited by Graubart

18 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

MA Bachelor FA Dip ABA

Or should that be Poor Old Bachelor SFA Dip Stick Kn Buggger Allll    haha ; )

But I did get a bunny both mornings (in my yard) the last two days so I am a little happier hahaha!

Anyway enough blither need to get cracking to get another Brew On and away before the Footy starts tonight haha!

5 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Or should that be Poor Old Bachelor SFA Dip Stick Kn Buggger Allll    haha ; )

But I did get a bunny both mornings (in my yard) the last two days so I am a little happier hahaha!

Anyway enough blither need to get cracking to get another Brew On and away before the Footy starts tonight haha!

6 minutes ago, Graubart said:

MA Bachelor FA Dip ABA

ABA = Amatuer Brewing Association

FA = I will leave that to work out. 😬

• Haha 1

Quick Post before back into the Brewery... here is that HW from yesterday's brewing... hopefully about to fire up on Lally München Classic slurry saved from last HW in preserving jar and kept at 2 deg C for 2.5 months 😮

Fortunately do have another pack of that Lally if they don't wanna wake up 🤔

One wire for the temp controller probe and the other for the warming pad... went in a bit above 19 hope there will be yeast fun and games and frivolity and festivity by tomorrow 😬

image.thumb.png.b6ae6062eb2889a87b4c36e79cec832a.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Graubart said:

@kmar92 Haha KMar and @Shamus O'Sean SOS you are a champs... took your collective warning and went the extra mile... fitted the KC... Thanks Brewers 🙏

Will post photo shortly... am going at 18.... should be ok I think.   That beer of yours was a KnK with Coopers Wheat Kit and Liquid Wheat Malt was it not?  Mate it looks sensational.  U mentioned some teething issues at pour - what probs did you have - was it over frothy?🤔

Yes @Graubart Burbler, it was a TC Preacher's Hefe Wheat + 1 tin of wheat malt extract + 500gms rice malt syrup and a dash of LDM. It is a beautiful drop. Problem I had at the 1st sample was I had not carbonated it enough but a bit more pressure and another day and it is perfect now. It is going to be one of those brews that cause you to shed a tear when the keg blows!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, jamiek86 said:

@Graubart nice krausen collar on that wheat mate are you expecting some big action from that half FV full of beer? 😉🤪🤯

Hahaaaa Gold JK 🥳.  I think you gave me some stick when I rolled out a 18-20L batch in the big fat juicy Coopers Plazzi a while ago haha!

The last time I did the Lally Hefeweizen I had a serious shocker with brew flowing everywhere - was in different FV... SS BrewBucket... (The Beer though was Glorious)

But I looked at @RDT2 RD's piccy last night and got the terrors... and I was adding a big fat wallop of Münchner slurry so was not sure...

Hahaha but my HALF FULL haha 20L brewing for 18 in the Keg system may mean I don't need the KC... true @jamiek86 James 🙏

Just was a little frightened of the that terrifying picture below...  Guess RD might have 23L where I have barely 20...

Safety First and Production Will Follow YeeeHaaaa 😝

Once Flooded twice Dry hahahaha!

image.thumb.png.19c6b43a4479158496081e6971a27eb1.png

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Graubart said:

Hahaaaa Gold JK 🥳.  I think you gave me some stick when I rolled out a 18-20L batch in the big fat juicy Coopers Plazzi a while ago haha!

The last time I did the Lally Hefeweizen I had a serious shocker with brew flowing everywhere - was in different FV... SS BrewBucket... (The Beer though was Glorious)

But I looked at @RDT2 RD's piccy last night and got the terrors... and I was adding a big fat wallop of Münchner slurry so was not sure...

Hahaha but my HALF FULL haha 20L brewing for 18 in the Keg system may mean I don't need the KC... true @jamiek86 James 🙏

Just was a little frightened of the that terrifying picture below...  Guess RD might have 23L where I have barely 20...

Safety First and Production Will Follow YeeeHaaaa 😝

Once Flooded twice Dry hahahaha!

image.thumb.png.19c6b43a4479158496081e6971a27eb1.png

That FV and fridge look very familiar to me.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Pickles Jones said:

I had number of Coopers Lager can yeast left over as I was using W-34/70 as an alternative.

I started to use them up and I am currently doing another Lager using one packet of this yeast at 10C and it a appears again to be doing its job.

I'll try this yeast at 18C in the next Lager brew to see how it goes.

This yeast is commonly called a Ale yeast which it is. However it is also a Lager yeast (from my experience} and I believe it could/should be regarded as a broad spectrum yeast serving both styles of beer.

Yes, the yeast that comes with the Coopers Lager kit is an ale yeast. 

You got Coopers Ale yeast to work at 10C? My guess is that you must be pitching warm and that it gets going before the temp of the wort gets below 18C. If you were pitching Coopers Ale yeast at 10C, I am pretty sure it would not get going. Yeast, not even lager yeast, will multiply much (if at all) below ~18C. This is why lager brewers who pitch cold make starters with +400B cells.

Once a yeast gets going it creates its own heat via metabolic activity for 2-3 days, until the sugars are fermented out. Then metabolic activity slows and the temp of the brew falls to ambient temp. During the next phase the yeast are supposed to clean up the byproducts of fermentation. Depending on the yeast in question this will take a lot longer if the temp is below 18C. If the temp is too cold the yeast will go dormant.  I find Coopers Ale yeast struggles <18C and goes dormant ~16C.

Are you a kegger or a bottler @Pickles Jones? In my own experience, and that of many other brewers on this forum, Coopers Ale yeast will not carbonate bottles in winter if the temp of the beer is below ~18C. There are many threads with titles like, "Why is my beer flat?" Nottingham ale yeast will carbonate bottles down to around 15C, and lager yeast will carbonate colder still. If you have trouble with bottles not carbonating in winter try brewing with the kits that come with lager yeast (Euro Lager, Pilsner) or the ale/lager blend (APA and Mexican Cervesa), as the lager yeast will carbonate the bottles.

Edited by ChristinaS1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Graubart said:

Check this out - is a refereed journal - may not be top of the pops - but if on that 

site then it hopefully shouldn't be too much bolllllox.... but as always... gotta be careful about what you find on the Web hey!?! 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3609166/

Logo of apjtb
Asian Pac J Trop Biomed. 2011 Apr; 1(2): 154–160.
PMCID: PMC3609166
PMID: 23569748

Honey: its medicinal property and antibacterial activity

This article has been cited by other articles in PMC.

Abstract

Indeed, medicinal importance of honey has been documented in the world's oldest medical literatures, and since the ancient times, it has been known to possess antimicrobial property as well as wound-healing activity. The healing property of honey is due to the fact that it offers antibacterial activity, maintains a moist wound condition, and its high viscosity helps to provide a protective barrier to prevent infection. Its immunomodulatory property is relevant to wound repair too. The antimicrobial activity in most honeys is due to the enzymatic production of hydrogen peroxide. However, another kind of honey, called non-peroxide honey (viz., manuka honey), displays significant antibacterial effects even when the hydrogen peroxide activity is blocked. Its mechanism may be related to the low pH level of honey and its high sugar content (high osmolarity) that is enough to hinder the growth of microbes. The medical grade honeys have potent in vitro bactericidal activity against antibiotic-resistant bacteria causing several life-threatening infections to humans. But, there is a large variation in the antimicrobial activity of some natural honeys, which is due to spatial and temporal variation in sources of nectar. Thus, identification and characterization of the active principle(s) may provide valuable information on the quality and possible therapeutic potential of honeys (against several health disorders of humans), and hence we discussed the medicinal property of honeys with emphasis on their antibacterial activities.

Keywords: Honey, Antibacterial activity, Wound healing property, Glucose oxidase, Non-peroxide effect, Medical-grade honey, Antimicrobial agents, Medicinal property, Antimicrobial property, Immunomodulatory property

Never heard of medical grade honey. Interesting that many types contain enzymes that produce hydrogen peroxide. At one time hydrogen peroxide was a staple of first aid kits, but it is no longer recommended, as it is quite harsh. Might be worth seeking out manuka honey for that reason.

I worked as a volunteer nurse in a developing country back in the late 1980s. Medicine was alway in short supply. I often recommended people use honey to treat infected wounds and it worked like a charm. If people didn't have honey we used sugar instead, which was messier, but seem to work too. The literature at the time suggested the mechanism for both was high osmolarity.

Cheers,

Christina.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just did a bit of research and apparently manuka honey is the kind used to make medical grade honey. It seem there is a small risk of contracting botulism when treating wounds with raw honey.  The other bit of caution is that honey should not be used to treat wounds in those who are allergic to bee stings.

Cheers,

Christina. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Graubart said:

Fortunately do have another pack of that Lally if they don't wanna wake up 🤔

They've woken up...

image.thumb.png.3338aa94f90931512a2d48cc0ef3e1e5.png

And pushed themselves from 20 ish through to 21 with no extra heat added - just the exothermic fermentation going on...  and it's like 12 deg ambient or lower outside the brew fridge : )

• Like 2
  • Haha 1