Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2021

Shamus O'Sean

3 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

@Barramullafella So at this point you still haven't tasted one of your brews with LME ? I am certain you will notice a difference, keep us posted. Cheers.

Yeah Classic I tasted the Woolager Plus which included 1kg Saunders LME and 250gm Dextrose and 250gm Maltodextrin and Woolies Lager 1.7kg.

It is is early for a true valuation as only been 3 weeks in the bottle.

Also, the Woolager Malteaser included 1.7kg lager, 250gm dextrose and 1kg DME. It has only been in bottle 12 days so yet to give a true verdict on it as well. Patients lol.   

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

I was going to add I am wondering who else made this as it would be good to compare but something I pressed sent it before I could.

Cheers.

For a short time after you post, there is an Edit button that works.

3 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

10 x Coopers Longnecks,

Coopers Largies are the biz and only beaten slightly by 1125ml swingtop bottles a mate gave me from Canada... but I only have a few of them ; )

And yeah as a little Aussie Bottler for most of my brewing existence... there is the then the beauty of the one big Stainless Steel Bottle that might come your way too if it fits in to the plan @CLASSIC Phil... But very very good beer can be made in bottles!  And I think that there are some that would say that the yeasty beers go better in the bottle than the keg... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Graubart said:

Coopers Largies are the biz and only beaten slightly by 1125ml swingtop bottles a mate gave me from Canada... but I only have a few of them ; )

And yeah as a little Aussie Bottler for most of my brewing existence... there is the then the beauty of the one big Stainless Steel Bottle that might come your way too if it fits in to the plan @CLASSIC Phil... But very very good beer can be made in bottles!  And I think that there are some that would say that the yeasty beers go better in the bottle than the keg... 

Always words of wisdom @Graubart  I love the swingtop bottles, I have about 100 Grolsch 450ml & a few of the older ones 500ml but I really would like to get my hands on some of the Litre + bottles that I have seen, however I get your point/hint on the SS fermenter etc.  It will come my way, I am working on it. Cheers.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

on the SS fermenter etc.

SS Fermenter is fine...  they are nice too...  but I think the Coopers FV with KCollar a very good cost-effective FV and you can see what is going on inside.

It's more the SS Corny Keg for Store Pressurize Carbonation and Pour I think is a big help...  as bottling is quite a job - though delivers great results. 

Edited by Graubart
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Stickers said:

doing a fairly basic toucan with the scotch ale recipe.. and best krausen in ages!

Hey stickers, looks like a beauty there. I’ve been looking at that recipe as I had a scotch ale from Uncle Dan’s and it was delicious! It seemed like a lot of sugar (500g) and was wondering how that would impact the beer…

Interested to see how it turns out for you.  Keep us updated please!! Good luck 👍 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Graubart said:

Rambunctious fiery 1060 OG AG Stout now underway : )

image.thumb.png.9e501d214ee2ec21e48655ed0c490137.png 

mate  love the krausen you have formed i hope your using a blow off tube with the fermziila mate

also it maybe just my eyes   it looks like you have some  damage to the fermzilla in the right side or is that where you have shoved your temp prob?

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, ozdevil said:

also it maybe just my eyes   it looks like you have some  damage to the fermzilla in the right side or is that where you have shoved your temp prob?

If you zoom right in you will see the Graubster has some black tape there, I am sure the old Pirate has things under control or as you say go for an eye check-up. 👓

🤣

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

If you zoom right in you will see the Graubster has some black tape there, I am sure the old Pirate has things under control or as you say go for an eye check-up. 👓

🤣

you can never be to sure with these style of fermenters,   but looking at  alot closer with coke bottles on i can see the duck tape now 
so basicly i am answering my own question kinda.

as the 1st time i looked at i wasnt really looking to close at it, and i know this style of fermenter   can do strange things

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ozdevil said:

you can never be to sure with these style of fermenters,

Thanks Ozzy and @CLASSIC Phil.... agree w Ozzy that these Plazzi Bubble pressure fermenters need to be treated with caution... in hindsight I shoulda waited till the SS version became available or just used doctored up another SS vessels as I am not a fave of this plastic gadget meself... and my five cents worth - I think that the SS versions are a better option.

Anyway at least one can see that the Big Black Brew is fermenting at least haha? 😝

• Like 2

The Carlsberg Pilsner has gone AWOL.  No fermentation action after 39 hours from pitch so threw another smack pack of WLP850 yeast at it this morning.  There was no condensation on top of FV and no sign of life so fizzed it up the whisker and in went another pack. 

First time I have used this yeast so unsure how long it takes to kick off and look like its happy.  Did it this way to see what this strain behaved like but as the smack packs were nearly exactly 1 month before use before date just starting to get a bit worried how they were stored at the suppliers / importer. 

Sort of regret not making a starter for this batch now.

Anyone used WLP850 and can comment on lag times etc.?

The Leigh's Lager I pitched a day later (yesterday at 17:30) with some 200 ml of reclaimed Diamond Lager yeast is already off and running.  In fact it is so horny it has fogged up the glass doors of my little brew fridge.

Carlsberg Pilsner BD+2 -resized.jpg

Edited by iBooz2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Put this on today:

Galaxy Ale

1.7kg Coopers APA
1.5kg light LME 
750gm Vienna
300gm Horton Munich
200gm carapils 5.6%
10gm Cents x 20 min
40gm Cents @ FO x 20 min hop stand
10mL Clarityferm
14gm Coopers Ale/lager blend pitched @21C, fridge set to 19C.
23L 
40g Galaxy dry hop x 48 hours

My LHBS finally started carrying Galaxy. hops. Geez, they are expensive. First time using them. Looking forward to tasting this, I am guessing I will recognize the taste from some local craft brews I have had, and I will be able to say, "Ah-ha, so that what Galaxy is."

Cheers,

Christina.
Edited by ChristinaS1
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 6/15/2021 at 11:34 PM, Barramullafella said:

1kg Saunders LME and 250gm Dextrose and 250gm Maltodextrin and Woolies Lager 1.7kg.

Sounds like you have invented BE4. 😆

I hope you are using more than the kit yeast with that amount of fermentables? How many grams of yeast come with those Woolies cans? A lot of kits only come with 6g. Could be why your brews are sweet. Maybe they are under attenuated? Or did you use another / more yeast?

Cheers,

Christina.

1 hour ago, ChristinaS1 said:
Put this on today:

Galaxy Ale

1.7kg Coopers APA
1.5kg light LME 
750gm Vienna
300gm Horton Munich
200gm carapils 5.6%
10gm Cents x 20 min
40gm Cents @ FO x 20 min hop stand
10mL Clarityferm
14gm Coopers Ale/lager blend pitched @21C, fridge set to 19C.
23L 
40g Galaxy dry hop x 48 hours

My LHBS finally started carrying Galaxy. hops. Geez, they are expensive. First time using them. Looking forward to tasting this, I am guessing I will recognize the taste from some local craft brews I have had, and I will be able to say, "Ah-ha, so that what Galaxy is."

Cheers,

Christina.

Looks like a pretty solid recipe Christina. I’ve never tried Vienna malt, is it similar to Munich? Maybe I should do a Vienna lager to find out!!
I’m in Oz and I pay $7.95 AUD for 100g Galaxy hops which seems pretty good to me. Being an Australian hop it makes sense it would be cheaper here. How much do they cost over in Canada 🍁🇨🇦 ? We might need to send you an emergency care package if you end up loving them!

Happy brewing to you. Cheers TB

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Tone boy said:

.....I’m in Oz and I pay $7.95 AUD for 100g Galaxy hops....How much do they cost over in Canada 🍁🇨🇦 ?

Hi Tone boy. $7.95 AUD for 100g? I wish! Galaxy are $3.79/ oz (28g) CAD at my LHBS. At today's exchange rate that is $4.07/28g. 

Vienna is malty but less sweet than Munich. I find it really helpful in adding depth to kits. It does need to be mashed though, if you buy it as a grain. Briess make a liquid malt version, if you can get it. 

Happy brewing TB.

Cheers,

Christina. 

Edited by ChristinaS1
  • Like 1