Coopers Community

What's in Your Fermenter? 2021

Shamus O'Sean

The past few months everything has been of dark colours - stouts, porter's, dark lagers and ales. I was starting to feel like the Lord Vader of extracts. So I whacked together this Australian Pale Ale with BE3, a cold steep of Liberty hops and CCA yeast. Only mixed it together 15 minutes ago and it's already got some activity going.

This makes me happy because I got to work 3 hours early today after learning of a roster change too late due to Covid19 restrictions for Adelaide Oval. So I came back home and put the 3 hours to good use.

Footnote: It didn't take 3 hours to make the beer. 😁

IMG20210708140944.jpg

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

The past few months everything has been of dark colours - stouts, porter's, dark lagers and ales. I was starting to feel like the Lord Vader of extracts. So I whacked together this Australian Pale Ale with BE3, a cold steep of Liberty hops and CCA yeast. Only mixed it together 15 minutes ago and it's already got some activity going.

This makes me happy because I got to work 3 hours early today after learning of a roster change too late due to Covid19 restrictions for Adelaide Oval. So I came back home and put the 3 hours to good use.

Footnote: It didn't take 3 hours to make the beer. 😁

That's looking rather... chunky...?

On 7/7/2021 at 12:00 PM, Barramullafella said:

Time for anudda brew and this time I have used @Hairy idea but with a slight variation. Hairy suggested OS Draught + BE3 + Cascade hops. As I did not have draught tin and Cascade on hand, I used OS Lager + BE3 + POR in 25lt water. This gives an OG 1.032 and I estimate a FG 1.007 which works out approx 3.8% in the bottle. See how this tastes. Thanks for the suggest recipe Hairy.

....and here is a pic after 20 hours in the FV.

OS Lager+BE3+POR.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CLASSIC said:

Looks like a good brew Muzzy, nice & clear now.  Have you always placed the Heat Belt on the top of the FV ? I guess if it works its certainly a good idea or is that protected by a Muzzy Patent ?

Hi Phil.

Initially I used to just dangle the heat belt in the fridge but I thought that might be an inefficient use of energy. I was loathe to ever actually put the heat directly on the wort for fear of creating hotspots. So the next step was to put it on the lid. This might also be inefficient but I'm comfortable with it. It's also a bit tidier than the dangle. No patents pending. 😁

22 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

Hi Phil.

Initially I used to just dangle the heat belt in the fridge but I thought that might be an inefficient use of energy. I was loathe to ever actually put the heat directly on the wort for fear of creating hotspots. So the next step was to put it on the lid. This might also be inefficient but I'm comfortable with it. It's also a bit tidier than the dangle. No patents pending. 😁

Well as long as you can maintain the target temperature that is all that matters I suppose, now I know I am not infringing copyright I may give it a go.

Cheers.

On 7/9/2021 at 8:45 AM, MUZZY said:

@Journeyman Less than 24 hours later we're chunkless. I told you it was nothing to worry about. 🙂

IMG20210709084309.jpg

It's turned very milky today. Don't think I've seen one of my pale ales this milky before. Could it be the added Liberty hops? That's the only variation to what I've done previously.

IMG20210710104323.jpg

6 minutes ago, Breaktrainjack said:

@MUZZY I thought you were a piliot with a healthy Coopers appetite ..was thinkin ..idd still get on board  ..bet he'd have cheeky esky somewhere đŸ˜‰đŸ»Â 

I'm an angry and frustrated bus driver. Angry because I have to engage with the public (unlike pilots) and frustrated because we are randomly breath tested at work. F**K! 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

14 minutes ago, MUZZY said:

I'm an angry and frustrated bus driver. Angry because I have to engage with the public (unlike pilots) and frustrated because we are randomly breath tested at work. F**K! 😁

I hear you Muzzy, one of my mates is a pilot & he enjoys a drink as much as we do but breath & drug tested repeatedly, even worse when he is on standby as he cannot have a drink in case he is called in to work. 

• Like 1

Threw a few more down today 
Juicy Session IPA up top in Fermzilla.

Helles underneath, keeping the production line turning đŸ€ŁđŸ€Ł

Fermenting@20 degrees 

The Juicy IPA is a local favourite amongst the punters around my joint đŸ»đŸ»

‘Cheers RD44 đŸ»đŸ»

12ECBA90-D225-4856-8983-A9D55E267692.jpeg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, MUZZY said:

It's turned very milky today. Don't think I've seen one of my pale ales this milky before. Could it be the added Liberty hops? That's the only variation to what I've done previously.

Hey Muzzy, It just looks like the yeast is doing its stirring thing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Voyage American Pale Ale

Made a few changes:

• Diluted to 25 litres - So I would have some more
  • Added 300g of Pilsner Malt to the 30 minute mini-mash to bring the OG back up a bit
  • Added 27g of Topaz in a 20 minute boil to increase the IBU a bit
  • Added an extra 10g of Cascade to the 5 minute boil also to help with the IBU
  • Using Lallemand Verdant IPA yeast instead of the Coopers supplied American Ale Yeast
  • Like 5

On 7/8/2021 at 12:05 PM, Coopers DIY Beer Team said:

Correct on both counts Journeyman. It was a pathetic attempt at humour, which won't be attempted again any time soon, at least not without 15 explanatory emojis and interpretative dance... 

Well if that's an attempt a humour you owe us 1 interpretive dance 😉

• Haha 3

On 7/7/2021 at 12:00 PM, Barramullafella said:

Time for anudda brew and this time I have used @Hairy idea but with a slight variation. Hairy suggested OS Draught + BE3 + Cascade hops. As I did not have draught tin and Cascade on hand, I used OS Lager + BE3 + POR in 25lt water. This gives an OG 1.032 and I estimate a FG 1.007 which works out approx 3.8% in the bottle. See how this tastes. Thanks for the suggest recipe Hairy.

Bottled the above concoction FG was at 1.006 and with a check on the OG when I started the brew it was 1.034 [not 1.032 at first sight]. Looked good, tasted like beer, and got 33 bottles out of the near 26 lt I had in the FV. At 4.1% approx I will be happy if tastes nice too.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Barramullafella said:

Bottled the above concoction FG was at 1.006 and with a check on the OG when I started the brew it was 1.034 [not 1.032 at first sight]. Looked good, tasted like beer, and got 33 bottles out of the near 26 lt I had in the FV. At 4.1% approx I will be happy if tastes nice too.

It is always a good feeling when you have bottled a new brew & get to try it in a few weeks. I like to keep a production line going with different beers each time as well as my favourite Pale Ale.

I will be doing a double brew ( 2 x 30l FV's ) tomorrow as I have 2 cans of MV Blonde Dry to do. 

17 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

It is always a good feeling when you have bottled a new brew & get to try it in a few weeks. I like to keep a production line going with different beers each time as well as my favourite Pale Ale.

I will be doing a double brew ( 2 x 30l FV's ) tomorrow as I have 2 cans of MV Blonde Dry to do. 

Agree there Classic. I have kept a diary of the beers and taste test every week until the 4th week. The sweetest one was the Woolale Plus which is a soft smooth beer with a sweetish malt taste. Not bad beer, but just a fraction sweet for me. The Malteaser is a nice beer full body, tangy, very refreshing with a tad of sweetness. If I get rid of the sweetness my search for a pleasant ale/bitter will be done.